advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
over the counter hearing aid?
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 12, 2007 07:18PM
I need to buy a hearing aid device for my grandma, she's in Easter Europe and cannot afford one. I asked at CVS and they told me I need a prescription to buy one! WTF, this is not medicine, just a device. They sell reading glasses over the counter, all over the place, but I have not seen hearing aids over the counter yet.

So, where can I buy some hearing aid without prescription?

Thanks

EDIT: any recommendations for brands, model, etc. are welcome. I know nothing about hearing aids. Thanks again!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2007 07:21PM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: over the counter hearing aid?
Posted by: Jim Williams
Date: May 12, 2007 07:21PM
Reading glasses are basically magnifying glasses.

Hearing aids are tailored to the hearing loss of the individual. A hearing aid that amplifies equally across all ranges might conceivably do damage over time.
Date: May 12, 2007 07:44PM
Jim Williams
Reading glasses are basically magnifying glasses.

Hearing aids are tailored to the hearing loss of the individual. A hearing aid that amplifies equally across all ranges might conceivably do damage over time.

Well, she is my grandma, I love her and I am trying to help her. But she is quite old, and long term damage to her ears is not a concern. She would like to hear a little better while she is still alive.
Posted by: Jim Williams
Date: May 12, 2007 07:56PM
You would need some type of earmold or earpiece to fit HER ear. Most hearing aids have problems with feedback and shrill whistling noise if the fit in the ear is not tight.

A thought—You might be able to get a second-hand aid that's in good shape from a charity-type organization or another individual with hearing problems. Sometimes people with hearing difficulties have to buy stronger aids, and the older, still servicable aids become available. Often these aids can be used as is, or refurbished for very little.
Date: May 12, 2007 08:20PM
Thanks for the suggestion, this will probably help me get around the prescription issues (although I read online that all you need is actually to sing a waiver) and will also help me save a few bucks.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 12, 2007 09:29PM
Your BEST option may be to find a way to fund her getting a hearing aid from a source local to her. Anyone there that you can somehow contact who can set it up for you ? Note also that batteries may be a significant issue- taken for granted here because of wide availability, but her nice new hearing aids from America would be so much silly jewelry without them.

Good luck, and good on ya for helping out Oma / Nona / Babu etc..
Posted by: Phy
Date: May 12, 2007 09:45PM
Good point about the batteries!
Plan on her using two batteries a week if she wears them often.
They can get pricey ...

"Out of the quarrel with others we make rhetoric; out of the quarrel with ourselves we make poetry." -William Butler Yeats
Posted by: Phy
Date: May 12, 2007 11:29PM
I found a link that may help you.

You could buy just one and if they work for her, then get the other one-- not cheap though. Remember to buy lots of batteries if you do-- they may not be available there.

[www.drugstore.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2007 11:29PM by Phy.
Date: May 13, 2007 08:14AM
cbelt3,

You have a good point, but believe me, where she lives, in that remote and isolated village, there is no local source of hearing aids. The closest city is 30 miles away, and public transportation is non-existent (just like in the US) and most people in that village are older people without cars. Most young people move to the city to get jobs, the village is slowly but surely dying out. I already planned to buy batteries by the case and ship her a new batch when she runs out.

Phy, thanks for the link, and for the PM you sent me.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 13, 2007 08:28AM
Ebay seems to have a bunch for sale:

[search.ebay.com]

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 126
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020