advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: Just got a Civic Hybrid
Posted by: x-uri
Date: May 20, 2007 10:56AM
Neither tip, nor deal (although we did manage to get it for $105 under invoice -- always fax your request for quote to the Fleet Sales manager at a bunch of dealerships, not only do you get better deals, but it is much less likely that someone will give you a hard sell on an extended warranty or the "weather-proof undercoating").

I was going to wait for a pluggable hybrid, but a drunk driver ran a red light and finished off my last ride and there is neither a carpool nor any public transport that will get me to work every day that I need to go.

I thought about the Prius, but I could not find a comfortable combination of settings for the driver's seat and steering wheel, and the Altima Hybrid isn't available in Oregon. So, I opted for the Civic. Its a nice ride, with plenty of pick-up for a highway commute, room enough for 2 adults, a child, and a medium sized dog along with gear for a day trip, and small enough to park in our 1918, Model-T-sized, garage.

Local ordinance requires that all hybrid vehicles have an Apple sticker on the back window -- I am trying to find the rainbow sticker that came with my Beige G3, because people will think that it is ironic and witty to put a 10 year old sticker on a brand new car.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: Just got a Civic Hybrid
Posted by: jimbrady
Date: May 20, 2007 11:03AM
Use it in good health--glad to see your post is not poshumous after the circumstances around the demise of your previous wheels.

x-uri
I am trying to find the rainbow sticker that came with my Beige G3, because people will think that it is ironic and witty to put a 10 year old sticker on a brand new car.

I might see the irony and wit, but don't count on it w/the general populace.

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 20, 2007 11:06AM
x-uri
Local ordinance requires that all hybrid vehicles have an Apple sticker on the back window -- I am trying to find the rainbow sticker that came with my Beige G3, because people will think that it is ironic and witty to put a 10 year old sticker on a brand new car.

They may also think that you're a friend of gays and lesbians, which is fine if you are, but might cause problems or misunderstandings if you're not. I sometimes wonder if that might be why they changed the logo.

[www.overtherainbowshop.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: spearmint
Date: May 20, 2007 11:10AM
The new Civics are really good looking cars now. The coupes are really hot looking.The first econobox looks they had was not too cool.

sedan.

Besides it is a Honda. The resell price is going to be amazing. Congrats!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2007 11:12AM by spearmint.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 20, 2007 11:44AM
"Local Ordinance". Funny. My civic LX (38 mpg at 65 miles!) has the white Apple sticker on it.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 20, 2007 02:02PM
x-uri
Local ordinance requires that all hybrid vehicles have an Apple sticker on the back window ...

When I lived on the Left Coast, the law clearly stated all Hondas more than 2 years old must be lowered. I imagine the state Department of Transportation already has the reminder notice on the way to you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2007 02:02PM by deckeda.
Posted by: kap
Date: May 20, 2007 02:37PM
I have always driven and owned Honda. My S/O is all about Toyota. What are the significant differences between the Prius and the Honda Civic hybrid?

SoCal for now.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 20, 2007 02:55PM
The Civic Hybrid is a Civic with a hybrid drive system. smiling smiley

The Prius doesn't exist in a non-hybrid version. The Prius is also kind of an unusual mix of technology. It has a power button instead of turning a key. It has a multi-function touch screen display in the center of the dash with very few dedicated mechanical buttons (but the steering wheel has buttons that duplicate common functions). It doesn't have a traditional gear shift.

It's also kind of a strange mix of options. It has standard automatic climate control, anti-lock brakes, traction control, cruise control, power windows and door locks, (and in all but the most basic model which is actually hard to find), a backup camera which displays on the MFD, and smart key system (the key never has to leave your pocket or purse). But you can't get power seats or a sunroof. smiling smiley

Date: May 20, 2007 03:07PM
How about the fuel efficiency, crash safety and overall maintenance cost?

SoCal for now.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 20, 2007 03:21PM
x-uri, congrats on the purchase. It's obvious that you already know this but you were smart to get a car that is comfortable for you. If the seat doesn't fit you, the Prius would have been a huge mistake.

Kap, other than fuel efficiency which is a little higher on the Prius, I couldn't say how they compare. But I'd bet crash safety and maintenance costs are excellent for both. Consumer Reports should have those covered.

Date: May 20, 2007 03:43PM
AllGold
x-uri, congrats on the purchase. It's obvious that you already know this but you were smart to get a car that is comfortable for you. If the seat doesn't fit you, the Prius would have been a huge mistake.

Kap, other than fuel efficiency which is a little higher on the Prius, I couldn't say how they compare. But I'd bet crash safety and maintenance costs are excellent for both. Consumer Reports should have those covered.

Seat comfort is important. I have never liked the Toyota front seats. Honda's, other hand, always fit my body type. It's the complete opposite for my S/O. So she's been driving Totoyas and I my Hondas. We share commonality in BMW 700 series ;)

We'll check out Consumer's Report for our future hybrid purchase. Thanks AllGold.

SoCal for now.
Posted by: chas_m
Date: May 20, 2007 03:44PM
Everything I've seen directly comparing the two seems to say that the Civic drives more like a traditional car, has SLIGHTLY less mileage than the Prius, but otherwise seems to be a solid vehicle and a good buy.

Thanks for helping save the earth.

chas_m

[crawlingfromtheusa.blogspot.com] <-- Moving to Canada blog
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 20, 2007 09:12PM
the regular gas powered civic gets great mileage all by itself, without being a hybrid...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: May 20, 2007 11:36PM
but I thought the idea of owning a hybrid is to save on gas expense. Perhaps, I have missed the point somewhere sad smiley

SoCal for now.
Posted by: x-uri
Date: May 21, 2007 05:56AM
[www.epa.gov]

The Civic Hybrid gets 49 mpg city and 51 mpg highway in EPA simulations. In some configurations the standard Civic gets 30 mpg city and 40 mpg highway.

Since I live in town, and about a third of my daily commute is going to be on city streets, having a Hybrid should mean a significant savings in fuel over any conventional gasoline powered car.

We also got the hybrid because it pollutes less than a conventional car.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: May 21, 2007 09:20AM
x-uri
We also got the hybrid because it pollutes less than a conventional car.

And I believe that this is gonna be the ultimate testimony to the hybrids. Besides just reducing CO2 emissions, the nature of a hybrid power train is such that the gas burning engine doesn't have to perform as heavily during the high power modes (such as acceleration, et. al.), and thus will emit fewer of the other noxious and particulate type of emissions.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 21, 2007 05:30PM
looking at the linked epa graph, the air pollution and greenhouse scores are nearly identical for the hybrids as they are for several gas powered cars

i do mostly highway, and the overall car cost vs savings in gas cost difference between the hybrid civic and the gas civic isnt enough to justify the hybrid

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: May 21, 2007 05:53PM
Then cell cars are better in terms for the environment and our pocket book overall?

SoCal for now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 111
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020