advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
HD Size Capability of SE/FDHD and SE/30
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: January 29, 2006 12:21AM
I was just playing with an old SE and SE/30 for old time sake. Hooked up an external SCSI 8 GB HD to the SE to see if it would recognize it. The SE saw it there, but not until I used SCSI Director to format the drive would it mount. SCSI Director formatted it into several partitions of 2 GB Max each.

So, this got me wondering, just for curiousity, how big the internal drive could be in an SE and SE/30. And what is the largest drive (or partition size) capable of being read on external SCSI chain.

Just in case the internal HD were to fail in either of these machines, I was just curious if any of my larger SCSI harddrives would save the day. I am off to Lowendmac.com and other places to check it out.

By the way, anyone know where I can get a network card for the SE/30? Model recommendation?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2006 12:52AM by SKYLANE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: HD Size Capability of SE/FDHD and SE/30
Posted by: kj
Date: January 29, 2006 12:40AM
I don't know, but I put a 500mb drive in a se30 w/out any probs. That was more than 10x the original's size. kj.
Posted by: ADent
Date: January 29, 2006 02:36AM
Looks like 2GB or 4GB (with 7.5).

A volume is either a full disk, or a section of a disk, partitioned into separate parts. If you partition a single drive then each partition is considered a volume.

* The maximum volume size under System 6 and System 7 is 2 GB. System 7.5 increased that limit to 4 GB and System 7.5.2 (and later) increases that limit to 2 TB on some computers, including:

-
any computer that came with System 7.5.2 or newer.
-
any Macintosh computer with PCI slots.

* The maximum number of volumes is theoretically limited to 173 due to the maximum number of open files in the Mac OS. Since there are other files that are opened when the computer boots up, the actual maximum will vary depending upon how many other files are open by the operating system.
* The maximum file size is 2 GB.
* The maximum number of files on a volume is 65,536.
* The maximum number of files in a folder is 32,767.
* The maximum size of the data fork in a file is 2 GB.
* The maximum size of the resource fork in a file is 16 megabytes.

From [docs.info.apple.com]
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: January 29, 2006 05:39AM
Mr. Dent has it nailed . . .

drinking smiley cheers

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: Phy
Date: January 29, 2006 06:05PM
My SE 30 came with an 80 MB drive originally. I thought I'd never need a bigger one. Hah!
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: January 30, 2006 04:51PM
The maximum size of a bootable partition or drive for your SE/30 would be 2gigs.

The Mac can address much more space, but under any OS with a number below 8 you cannot boot from a drive/partition larger than 2 gigs.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 51
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020