advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Frozen while sleeping... ?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 07, 2007 01:39PM
1.25GHz DP MDD has frozen while approaching sleeping mode three times within the last several days, each time while on the same pictures from the beach series of screen savers pics. I've had to power the tower off, and then restart. I repaired permissions, and it did throw a couple of new ones at me, so I don't know if that has fixed whatever was causing the snag. any other detective work I could do? it just seemed weird that the same two photos would be on the dual monitors each time... it's like it hung just before going from screen saver to sleep mode, and since I was gone, I don't know if this happened on the first sleep cycle after I left, or if something else [non-user based, like stray, unaccounted for, network traffic] caused the system to awaken and it hung trying to go back to sleep. ideas appreciated. thanks,

Buzz
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Frozen while sleeping... ?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 07, 2007 01:41PM
create a new user and see if the same problem occurs from that account. this will let you know if its a settings issue.
Posted by: Jem
Date: June 07, 2007 01:45PM
Detach all peripherals and hubs except a mouse, and see if it STILL happens. If YES, than the problem is probably software/corrupted file.

But if NO, look at your peripherals.

FREEZE ON SLEEP is a pretty common indicator of a peripheral problem with MDD machines.
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: June 07, 2007 02:06PM
Yep... usually a USB device...

But also...

Often a buggy screensaver...

So set your Mac to sleep before the screensaver comes on and see if it still gives you trouble.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 07, 2007 04:45PM
The machine is crashing when trying to sleep.

You have your screensaver running and energy saver set to go to sleep after a certain length of time. The screensaver runs the same exact routine every time. So it is perfectly reasonable to expect to see the same two images on your screens when the machine crashes.

I seem to remember this being a problem for me - probably machine related. I don't recall the problem returning when I moved to G5s.

I think the problem was fixed by running cocktail/onyx and running the daily, weekly and monthly maintainance routines. This would assume that your machine almost never runs overnight - is that correct?

and turn the sceensaver off - doesn't really do anything for you but add another layer of what can go wrong...
Posted by: simonm
Date: June 07, 2007 06:12PM
I have a G4 iMac 700 which will never wake from sleep. We've given up on it long ago. It may be a combination of the dvd drive I put in plus maybe panther/tiger as I think it worked before that. I'd like to fix it but nothing I've tried does it so we just power it off when not in use.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 07, 2007 08:01PM
If your machine is running Tiger, it should make any difference if it runs at night.

I agree- unplug all your USB stuff and see what happens.

My MDD won't sleep at all with my Turbo plugged into the miniStack.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 126
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020