advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need suggestions for a new wall thermostat
Posted by: richorlin
Date: June 13, 2007 11:15AM
Does anyone have suggestions for a programmable wall thermostat that is both easy to program and has a really big, bright display.
We have a Hunter Set and Save #44360 and it does everything but change your filter. However, my wife finds it very intimidating to program or change and I'm still overseas for the next few months and it's getting hot. It's hard to tell someone how to work the thermostat over the telephone. Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need suggestions for a new wall thermostat
Posted by: Bixby
Date: June 13, 2007 11:39AM
I've got a touchscreen RiteTemp that I'm happy with. The display is big, but it is not lighted. At the time it was a good deal cheaper than comparable Honeywells.
Posted by: davester
Date: June 13, 2007 11:43AM
I doubt you'll find anything easier to program. The question is, why would your wife need to program it at all. I only change the programming on my thermostat about twice a year. Simply set it up for the hours and temps desired and then leave it alone. Can't you just show her how to use the temp up/down buttons to manually override the programming if she's too hot or too cold?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 13, 2007 11:48AM
so, if you did somehow find a simpler one, wouldn't you have to talk her through the thermostat swap over the phone?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 13, 2007 01:04PM
I have a Honeywell that I'm pretty happy with-- it's really no-nonsense. It doesn't have a big display, however (but big enough that you can read it, etc.)

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: June 13, 2007 02:12PM
Bixby
I've got a touchscreen RiteTemp that I'm happy with. The display is big, but it is not lighted. At the time it was a good deal cheaper than comparable Honeywells.

Love my RT, EL backlit also, made by Home Depot, only sold through them, buy the medium size display model, the big display model is hard to read. Can be removed and programmed from the easy chair.
Really cool features.
[www.ritetemp-thermostats.com]

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: modelamac
Date: June 13, 2007 03:01PM
Davester:

2 problems:

A. She is home and he is overseas, per his post

B. That solution doesn't work with some gals, including my wife. She agrees to a temp setting one day, and two weeks later, that temp is "too hot" or "too cold".

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: June 13, 2007 03:08PM
I'm amazed still by the quantity of thermostats that require you to select Heat or Cool. Why isn't the temperature range sufficient (if it's too hot then cool; if it's too cold then heat).

Hunter was one of the few that actually offered that...
Posted by: papercup
Date: June 13, 2007 03:24PM
The RiteTemp with the Indiglo® screens are the catsazz.
Posted by: Dick Moore
Date: June 13, 2007 04:15PM
Amen to the RiteTemp. The minute my old Honeywell with the unreadable LCD burps, it's history.

What it is, man, a low-down and funky feelin'
Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: June 13, 2007 06:07PM
I've got a Hunter 7 day programable - it's a great device and has saved me A LOT of money. I'm sure it paid for itself in one month during the winter.
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 13, 2007 07:45PM
I've always wanted a programmable thermostat with an alph-numeric keyboard (like a phone's). Instead of having to scroll, you could simply enter data directly. Large display would be useful for aging eyes.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: June 14, 2007 07:37PM
papercup
The RiteTemp with the Indiglo® screens are the catsazz.
Indiglo is a Timex trademark of Electroluminescent (EL), the word the rest of the planet uses.

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020