Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Credit Card Companies limit gasoline purchases
Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 16, 2007 02:06PM
[finance.myway.com];

though this is the first news article i've seen on it, over a year ago i noticed stickers on the pumps of my local Kroger Fuel station stating a limit on cc gas purchases. i can't remember what the limit is but i do know that the limit for debit card purchases is considerably lower.

i've never hit the limit with my van but will when gas gets to the $4 mark. notice i said "when"...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Credit Card Companies limit gasoline purchases
Posted by: papercup
Date: June 16, 2007 02:21PM
I occasionally get a 50.00 max (auto shut-off pump) around here, imposed by the gas station, not the CC. I don't go back to that station.
Their loss, not mine.
Posted by: John B.
Date: June 16, 2007 02:23PM
I've never seen a credit card company put a limit on, but I've seen some gas stations do it (I hate to generalize, but it's usually neighborhood independent stations). First time I hit an undislosed $30.00 limit (on a pre-swipe credit card purchase) where the pump wouldn't let me pump more without going in and seeing the cashier, I said, "well, I'll just stop at a $30 fill this time and cross this gas station off my list."
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 16, 2007 02:57PM
SInce my Miata only holds about 10 gallons I should be good for a while. smiling smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 16, 2007 03:01PM
My drinking buddy with a monster Mercedes says his CC has a $75 limit on it whan he is buying gas. 20 gallon tank of super, hitting $75 can happen.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 16, 2007 03:03PM
The limit only applies to card swipe at the pump transactions and has been around for years. You can still pump and pay inside after and there is no limit. And that limit is put on by the CC companies, just some stations have not been enforcing it. Those that do not stick to the limit expose themselves to chargebacks for stolen cards and other reasons. So a small station that can't afford too many $75-100 losses is more likely to observe it. Though there are quite a few non-independent staions around here that also have the cap of $50 on debit card and $75 on credit card swipe at the pump transactions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2007 03:52PM by JoeH.
Date: June 16, 2007 03:18PM
that sort of makes sense. Thanks.
Posted by: Chupa Chupa
Date: June 16, 2007 03:40PM
I've never seen this myself. My own car only holds about 12 gallons, but I've filled up my moms X5 a few times. That car can eat up $60, 70. 80 of gas fast. I've never been shut down due to a CC $ limit. Maybe the $ cap only applies to certain stations with high #s of stolen or fradulent card use.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: June 16, 2007 04:03PM
It has been in effect for years. We used to have a Suburban with a 43 gallon tank, and we would occasionally hit the $50 limit, even when gas was a heck of a lot cheaper than it is now. My friend bought the truck a couple of years ago to use to tow her 4-horse trailer, and my guess is that she has either gotten into the habit of filling the gas tank when it's still showing half full or has gotten used to the limit. I'm just glad it doesn't belong to me any more, although we did enjoy it on some long cross country trips. In the good old days. sad smiley
Posted by: josntme
Date: June 16, 2007 04:33PM
Well my truck holds 80 gallon so I run into this quite often. I just go into the station and leave my CC hostage. Of course truck stops are no problem since the're used to high vol. purchases.
Date: June 16, 2007 04:34PM
my buddy tries not to let his mercedes get below about 1/3 of a tank. getting a reciept that big really is tough on his heart.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 16, 2007 05:35PM
34 gallon tank on my pickup. I've hit this "wall" several times. And, like others here, I won't go back to stations that have limits.

If I'm running on empty, a fill up can easily run over $100. and I'm NOT going inside to wait in line to pay for my gas. I was very pleased when pay at pump started. I'm not taking any steps backward if I can avoid it.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: June 16, 2007 05:52PM
Well, at several of the stations where they observe the limit around here, just would have to swipe the card a second time. Does not even have to be a different card. But if that is enough to keep you and others from using a particular station, then that just means fewer persons in line with long fillups to delay me.

Posted by: ArtP
Date: June 16, 2007 06:17PM
Although I have never had it happen to me (BUT seen it once or twice), here in "da hood", guys will stand there near a pump with a stolen credit card and offer .50¢ on the Dollar for Gas, you give him $10 and you get to pump $20. They even work both sides of the pump, swiping one while the other is filling.

He could easily rack up a $100 or more charge before the attendant gets wise and shuts down that pump. The guy just simply moves on to another Gas station down the road.

When you see something like that it makes you understand the limits of the pay at the pump.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: June 16, 2007 09:20PM
Two words: pay cash.

Fact: after the taxes, and the wholesale cost of the gas itself, the biggest chunk of the price of a gallon of gas goes to credit card fees at most stations. This is why they offer a discount for paying in cash.
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: June 16, 2007 09:36PM
Something else to consider -- the pumps aren't temperature-compensated.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: June 16, 2007 09:50PM
Seacrest

Fact: after the taxes, and the wholesale cost of the gas itself, the biggest chunk of the price of a gallon of gas goes to credit card fees at most stations. This is why they offer a discount for paying in cash.

I haven't seen a gas station offer a cash discount in I don't know how long.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 16, 2007 10:06PM
When I worked for my state's weights and measures department my boss strongly urged that gas be sold by weight so you would get a fair shake all the time.

Bimwad

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: June 16, 2007 11:10PM
M A V I C
Seacrest

I haven't seen a gas station offer a cash discount in I don't know how long.

i agree. i occasionally see it when i travel in the midwest but it's pretty much dead otherwise.

i use a cc because i get cashback on the bill.
Date: June 17, 2007 12:15AM
Bimwad

Depends where you live if it would make much difference. At the distance tanks are buried here, the ground temperature stays a pretty consistent 55 or so most of the year. It may make some difference the first gallon, but the rest of the gas is going to come out at ground temperature. Some places summer heat penetrates deeper, not an issue for much of the country though.

Posted by: M A V I C
Date: June 17, 2007 01:06AM
JoeH
Bimwad

Depends where you live if it would make much difference. At the distance tanks are buried here, the ground temperature stays a pretty consistent 55 or so most of the year. It may make some difference the first gallon, but the rest of the gas is going to come out at ground temperature. Some places summer heat penetrates deeper, not an issue for much of the country though.

Thanks, JoeH, in saving me time from having to type that out smiling smiley

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Mr645
Date: June 17, 2007 06:52AM
When I do run into the $50 limit, I have been able to simple shut off the pump, start it up again, swipe the same card and pump more.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: June 17, 2007 08:39AM
josntme
Well my truck holds 80 gallon so I run into this quite often.

Holy crap! Do you drive a semi?

I was going to chime in on my boat's 79 gallon tank. And marina gas prices are always higher that car gas station prices.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: June 17, 2007 11:53AM
graylocks
i use a cc because i get cashback on the bill.

You do realize that the "cash" you are getting "back" is at best a free loan to the cc company on which they cumulatively make millions, at worst built in to the cost of the gas you're paying for in the form of higher prices overall?

And you can thank the CC industry for there not being cash discounts at a lot of stations as well. [www.sfgate.com]
Date: June 17, 2007 12:13PM
Seacrest
[
You do realize that the "cash" you are getting "back" is at best a free loan to the cc company on which they cumulatively make millions, at worst built in to the cost of the gas you're paying for in the form of higher prices overall?

yes. and like income taxes withheld on paychecks, i've learned to live with it. we all have to choose our battles.
Posted by: incognegro
Date: June 19, 2007 10:21AM
Some stations impose the limit here, some don't.
I always forget which ones do. I'm OK with a $50 cutoff most of the time.

And here in PA, our Wawa stations offer a 5¢/gal cash discount, which is less than 2% but it's something. I rarely take advantage of it, my time is worth more than 2% off my $50 fill-up.

Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 20, 2007 05:28AM
My Dad would run into this problem all the time with his F350, dual 20-gal tanks. No big deal, just end the transaction and then pump again.

My car has an 18-gal tank, and with premium prices being what they are now I have made it over $50 on a fill-up, but this has been uncommon so far.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 88
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020