advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
how often is google maps updated?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: January 30, 2006 09:10AM
I googled my address and I swear i could see my truck in the parking lot!

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: how often is google maps updated?
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 30, 2006 09:22AM
They seem to update somewhat frequently but, in my neighborhood at least, they are months and months behind. The new condos the next block down are still an empty lot on Google Maps.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: January 30, 2006 10:39AM
After looking at it more closely, i noticed that its probably my neighbors car. And she's home all day. Still weird.

Posted by: davester
Date: January 30, 2006 10:40AM
They depend primarily on airphotos flown for various purposes by government agencies and cities. These coverages happen for most cities about every 2 to 5 years. Google says:

Our images are photographs taken by satellites and aircraft sometime in the last three years. The images in Google Earth are updated on a rolling basis.

Not all cities are covered in high resolution (where you can see individual buildings and cars) detail. We have more imagery of the United States than other countries currently. And because the imagery comes from a variety of sources, and is mosaic-ed together, it is difficult for us to specify the date of a city or region (a single city may have imagery taken from different months).

We are adding high resolution coverage continually, but we are not able to tell you when a specific area will be covered. The best way to find out if your area of interest is covered is to download the free version of Google Earth and check it out for yourself (Google Earth, Google Earth Plus, and Google Earth Pro share access to the same database)."
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 30, 2006 10:50AM
Well, the empty lot I referred to above is defintely a newer version than the one that was there before Christmas, when I last looked at the map. So it has not been 2 to 5 years since it was updated. Maybe east coast cities get updated frequently since there are bound to be plenty of opportunities to photograph them.
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: January 30, 2006 11:14AM
There's a new road behind my house that's been open for over a year that doesn't show up.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 30, 2006 11:54AM
Google Maps shows a slab under contruction where there has been a building for 2 years in my neighborhood.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: laarree
Date: January 30, 2006 11:55AM
Photos of my neighborhood in New York City are at least most of
a year old if not more. Alot of recent demolition and construction
in my area is not visible.

.................................................................................................
*We are just a quarantined people under an evil sun.*
--- Richard S. Shaver
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: January 30, 2006 12:07PM
google shows a building next to me as an empty lot. It's been finished for over two and a half years.

I just tried Google Earth, as I heard it was higher res. But it doesn't appear to be.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: January 30, 2006 12:13PM
I can see myself flipping the intel-sats the bird.
Posted by: Effin Haole
Date: January 30, 2006 12:30PM
It has my shed partially built with the roof open. And that was October of '02.

But 10 blocks away is my brothers place and it has his roomates car in the driveway. The roomate moved in summer of '04.
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: January 30, 2006 12:49PM
I think 1960s
Posted by: davester
Date: January 30, 2006 01:10PM
From reading the comments here it appears that many people are under the major misconception that google earth and similar services use satellite imagery. This is true only for the low resolution high altitude shots.

When you zoom in, you are looking at mosaiced air photos taken on a variety of different dates, NOT satellite imagery. Publicly available satellite imagery is not available at high enough resolution for you to make out details such as whose car is in the driveway. It is very costly to fly an airphoto survey (i.e. photos shot from a plane) and then scan and orthorectify (reproject and put into a map coordinate system) the photos. That is why google earth and the other similar services generally do not fly their own surveys, but rely on previously flown surveys that were commissioned for other purposes. Many of the air photo sets are publicly-owned (i.e. those flown by US Geological Survey, US Forestry Service, cities, etc) and so are almost free to the user (except that they in many cases pay a license fee to the company that digitized the free photos). Think about it for a second...it is not possible for a single company to pay for (or regularly update) detailed air photos of most of the cities on the planet.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: January 30, 2006 01:17PM
davester Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>Think
> about it for a second...it is not possible for a
> single company to pay for (or regularly update)
> detailed air photos of most of the cities on the
> planet.

If you mean that it'd be prohibitively expensive, remember that we're talking about Google here. With $400/share stock! winking smiley

Just kidding...I'm sure you're right.
Posted by: sscutchen
Date: January 30, 2006 02:13PM
orthorectify is a cool word.

Don't ask who the bell's for, dude. It's you.
Posted by: BW
Date: January 31, 2006 09:18PM
Back in the days before Google maps, I used to work for a guy who was trying to use Terraserver (same thing basically) to conduct live surveillance on his ex-wife. He was trying to figure out when your boyfriend's truck was at her house, whether someone was watching his kids, etc. so he figured he'd just look up the address from his computer at work several times a day.

Just ponder for a moment that incredible string of misguided thinking.

After a couple of weeks, he was slowly starting to realize that all of the 300+ screenshots he had saved as "evidence" were identical and he was getting very, very angry. To him, the most logical explanation was that his ex had paid off (or was sleeping with) whoever was running the spy satellite hovering over Indiana.

Um, yeah.

Entertaining as it was, I'm glad I don't work for him anymore.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 120
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020