advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Dead Drive-Can I swap controllers to fix?
Posted by: Bo
Date: June 19, 2007 12:59PM
So I've got a dead startup drive (80GB IBM Deskstar IC35L080AVVA07-0 p/n 07N9210 Feb-2002) that will not even attempt to spin up at all. Going through my stash of old drives I came across a 60GB IBM Deskstar IC35L060AVVA07-0 -p/n 07N8148. I swapped the controllers in hopes of getting lucky. With this controller the dead drive spins up just fine. However neither DiskWarrior or Disk Utility will even acknowledge the drive exists. Could this be due to the controllers being slightly different?

Does a controller swap need to be from an identical drive or should the swap that I performed above have worked if it was in fact a controller problem?

Thanks much!

-Bo
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dead Drive-Can I swap controllers to fix?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 19, 2007 01:26PM
>>Does a controller swap need to be from an identical drive or should the swap that I performed above have worked if it was in fact a controller problem?

Yep. The high end drive recovery companies keep an archive of them for just this reason.
Posted by: Monster
Date: June 19, 2007 01:32PM
yes, I've bought old drives off of eBay before for client's dead drives, it's usually not that expensive, and if you are only getting the data off to move to another drive then you can keep it to use again if you need too.

The Taoist Zhuangzi said, "Good order results spontaneously when things are let alone".
The sociologist, and historian, Adam Ferguson described the phenomenon of spontaneous order in society as the "result of human action, but not the execution of any human design".
Posted by: Bo
Date: June 19, 2007 01:41PM
>>Yep. The high end drive recovery companies keep an archive of them for just this reason.

That's what I assumed. I actually walked over to Drivesavers this morning (they are just around the corner from me) and asked them about it. The receptionist gave me the standard $750-1500 quote even if it was just slapping a controller on there and recovering the data.

>>yes, I've bought old drives off of eBay before for client's dead drives, it's usually not that expensive, and if you are only getting the data off to move to another drive then you can keep it to use again if you need too.

There are actually a couple of working ones on eBay right now for $150 and $200. Seems like a lot for an 80GB drive but a bargain if the controller swap worked. I might have to give it a shot.

-Bo
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 19, 2007 03:49PM
Sometimes a controller from a similar model, only difference being capacity, will work. But most times it needs to be from the same exact model, sometimes even the same revision, to work. Sometimes you can find a dead drive, working controller item on eBay. But even if not, a working drive at $100-200 is a bargain compared to one of the drive recovery companies.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020