advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Gatorade powder
Posted by: kap
Date: June 19, 2007 07:50PM
Has anyone tried it? Compared to the ready to drink bottled ones, how is it in terms of taste and cost saving? TiA

SoCal for now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Gatorade powder
Posted by: cyclemax
Date: June 19, 2007 08:34PM
I use the powder all the time. As long as you mix it properly, I think the flavor is comparable to the bottles. I've been on some century bike rides where it has been watered down. You are also limited by the choice of flavors. I have only seen the powder in lemon-lime, fruit punch, and orange. It costs five to six bucks for a container that make 2 gallons where I live. I've seen bigger containers at Costco and BJ's but lemon-lime only.
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: June 19, 2007 08:45PM
We use the grape kind with positive results. I personally protest gatorade though as it has a significant amount of sodium in it. Perfect for working out as it keeps your thirst mechanism going, but if you're just casually drinking it, you remain thirsty and continue drinking it. Good for them, bad for my wallet.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 19, 2007 08:47PM
I seem to remember that the powder on sale is about 60% the cost of buying the biggest/cheapest bottles on sale. I used to make it half strength because it had a little too much sugar for how much fluid I drank. Full strength might be okay if I ever started longer workouts and felt it was actually helping with endurance but I have never run more than 70 minutes in one session.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Spiff
Date: June 19, 2007 08:50PM
powdered is the way to go. No difference in taste if mixed properly. Agreed that the choices are limited. Good thing I like fruit punch. =)
Date: June 19, 2007 09:02PM
I hated to drink it at first due to its funky taste AND the amount of sodium. Because of my workout, esp. in the warm weather, S/O bugged me until I acquired a taste. Normally, I just down an 8 oz glass of fresh squeezed orange juice prior to my 3-4 mile run. I drink more Gatorade on my weekend bike rides, however. BTW, lime-lime is the only flavor I can handle.

SoCal for now.
Posted by: John B.
Date: June 19, 2007 09:06PM
I've used the powder a lot, and agree with the above that once you get the mix ratio down, it works fine. I don't know if Gatorade has them yet, but I've had some of the single-use mix envelopes of powder that mix with a 16 oz bottle of water, and those are really slick as well, especially if you use thin-neck bottles (like bottled water bottles).
Date: June 19, 2007 09:26PM
Where do y'all normally shop for your Gatorade? Vons/Pavillions is our usually place; not for the best price tho'.

SoCal for now.
Posted by: pRON aHOLIC
Date: June 19, 2007 11:48PM
I hear snorting the Gatorade powder is just fine. They have the ICE flavor now and it tastes fairly close when mixed right.

-------------------------------------------------------

Join team 38910 folding! [folding.stanford.edu] multi cpu-[calxalot.homeip.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2007 11:48PM by pRON aHOLIC.
Posted by: morlock
Date: June 20, 2007 12:20AM
pRON aHOLIC
I hear snorting the Gatorade powder is just fine. .

No, it stings almost as bad as pixie sticks... smiling smiley
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 20, 2007 01:21AM
Last year I could not find a grocery store that sold the powder mix. Of course they had plenty of the bottled stuff in more flavors, but I am fairly thrifty so I wanted the powder.
Now just this evening I was at the local Safeway by my new house and they had the powder right there on the shelf. I guess different areas stock different things.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 20, 2007 02:52AM
My local Safeway (seattle) stocks the powder. Kap, I always mixed it 1/2- 3/4 strength forme after my drinking binges, and 3/4 to full strength for her long bike rides or tri training sessions. We prefered the fruit punch BTW. Costco does sell the monster lemon-lime powder tubs.
Date: June 20, 2007 08:35AM
It's a good thing I don't care for salty food/drink. Still, if I am not careful about my salt intake my blood pressure may jump onto the dangerous side. I will be stopping by our local VONS/Pavillion to purchase one container to try. BTW, the supermarkets might be on strike, and I want to support my brother who is a long time employee to the company smiling smiley

SoCal for now.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 20, 2007 11:04AM
I only snort the Crunch flavor of Gatorade.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: pRON aHOLIC
Date: June 20, 2007 05:56PM
Filliam H. Muffman

I love that flavor.

-------------------------------------------------------

Join team 38910 folding! [folding.stanford.edu] multi cpu-[calxalot.homeip.net]
Date: June 20, 2007 06:09PM
Filliam H. Muffman

Better than snorting one's father's ashes as Keith Richards did ;)

SoCal for now.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 21, 2007 11:15AM
Ozzy snorted an anthill back in the '70s.
Posted by: jpeterson101
Date: December 02, 2013 11:09PM
The difference in taste is mostly due to the Calcium Silicate that is added to absorb water and prevent the powder from caking. This has a chalky taste, that might remind you of Tums as it is the key ingredient in Tums as well. The antacid property also takes away some of the acidity, citrus flavor, further derailing the taste. Gatorade also uses a cheaper citrus stabilizer in the powder, brominated vegetable oil (BVO), and coconut oil instead of Glycerol ester of wood rosin. Citrus stabilizers results in a fragrant, "warm" tasting, sweet flavor, BVO does not do this as well. So unfortunately if you have the expectation it will taste the same as the original made from a liquid syrup you will be disappointed but I still think it tastes OK.
Posted by: eustacetilley
Date: December 03, 2013 01:30AM
jpeterson101
The difference in taste is mostly due to the Calcium Silicate that is added to absorb water and prevent the powder from caking. This has a chalky taste, that might remind you of Tums as it is the key ingredient in Tums as well. The antacid property also takes away some of the acidity, citrus flavor, further derailing the taste. Gatorade also uses a cheaper citrus stabilizer in the powder, brominated vegetable oil (BVO), and coconut oil instead of Glycerol ester of wood rosin. Citrus stabilizers results in a fragrant, "warm" tasting, sweet flavor, BVO does not do this as well. So unfortunately if you have the expectation it will taste the same as the original made from a liquid syrup you will be disappointed but I still think it tastes OK.

I nominate this as the one-hit-wonder of the week. The syntax and grammar are actually pretty good, but I wonder how long before the pitches for Chinese leather sofas, or Bombay walk-in dentistry will start.
My previous favorite was that ditz who was pitching "foofy socks", whatever they are.

Eustace
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020