advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I need a new book
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: June 22, 2007 09:55AM
I'm going to India today for my sis-in-law's wedding. I have about 23 hours of travel ahead of me. I'm bringing my laptop, loaded with movies, but I'd like to have a good book too. Here is a sample of what I've recently read or enjoyed reading:

Blink-Malcom Gladwell
Tipping Point - Gladwell

Mind At Light Speed
The Age of Intelligent Machines - Kurzweil
The Age of Spiritual Machines - Kurzweil

A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bryson

Harry Potter 1-6 - Rowling

Stiff - Roach
Spook - Roach

I'm thinking that it may be time for some fiction.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I need a new book
Posted by: microchip13
Date: June 22, 2007 09:57AM
The Trigger.

I enjoyed it. I don't remember who wrote it though.

Just because it has two clutches, shifts faster, uses a torque converter or has near-infinite gear ratios, requires less driver intervention and is more efficient doesn't make it better in my opinion.
Save The Manual Transmission
Posted by: graham1352
Date: June 22, 2007 10:01AM
Mother of Storms, by John Barnes.
Posted by: Finney
Date: June 22, 2007 10:04AM
I'm a huge Vonnegut fan, so when I read Christopher Moore's "Fluke" I was completely and thoroughly engaged from cover to cover. Its hysterical!

-Finney
Date: June 22, 2007 10:05AM
microchip13
The Trigger.

I enjoyed it. I don't remember who wrote it though.

Arthur C. Clark?

Posted by: spearmint
Date: June 22, 2007 10:09AM
A little old but "A Man In Full." Tom Wolfe Jr. Of course if you have not read "Bonfire of the Vanities" by Tom I strongly endorse. Any of his stuff is superior and entertaining. Have fun!

Da Good Life
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: June 22, 2007 10:11AM
If you like science fiction, "The Warrior's Apprentice" by Lois Bujold, or "Brothers in Arms." In fantasy, her "Curse of Chalion" is superior.
Posted by: microchip13
Date: June 22, 2007 10:18AM
Pretty sure. That name rings a bell though I think there was a coauthor as well.

Just because it has two clutches, shifts faster, uses a torque converter or has near-infinite gear ratios, requires less driver intervention and is more efficient doesn't make it better in my opinion.
Save The Manual Transmission
Date: June 22, 2007 10:19AM
Has anyone read 'Ender's Shadow'? I thought that looked interesting.

Posted by: Bixby
Date: June 22, 2007 10:20AM
David Foster Wallace's relatively new collection of short stories.
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 22, 2007 10:52AM
spearmint
A little old but "A Man In Full." Tom Wolfe Jr. Of course if you have not read "Bonfire of the Vanities" by Tom I strongly endorse. Any of his stuff is superior and entertaining. Have fun!

I love that book spearmint. Makes me want a ham biscuit.
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: June 22, 2007 10:57AM
Going to India?

Have you read "Midnight's Children" by Salman Rushdie?

"The novel narrates key events in the history of India through the story of pickle-factory worker Saleem Sinai, one of 1001 children born as India won independence from Britain in 1947."

Todd's magical-realistic keyboard
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 22, 2007 11:12AM
Todd, he miiight not want to take that book to India, esp if he's going near Kashmir...

Zt- If you like the Orson Scott stuff, yeah, sure. There's nothing like reading some stuff about the place your'e going, though. If the wedding is full-on Hindi, a book on customs and practices may help as well. Sort of like cramming for an exam.

I recall that being able to quote from the Quran helped me immensely in Kuwait, back in the day.
Posted by: Jem
Date: June 22, 2007 11:19AM
I'm current enjoying iWoz.

It's a quick read, but fascinating autobiography of who else... Steve Wozniak.

Gives some great insight in to the personalities of Steve Jobs and Wozniak in the early days. I had no idea how different they were, and in many ways how unlikely a pair they were.

Wozniak seems almost childlike in his recounting of those early days. Not always flattering of Steve Jobs, but I'm guessing that's to be expected when two people have such different approaches.

Anyway, if you are up for non-fiction you might find it of interest.
Posted by: blooz
Date: June 22, 2007 11:28AM
"Kafka on the Shore" by Haruki Murakami.

You might want to consider an Indian language phrase book. How many dialects are there anyway?

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Kiva
Date: June 22, 2007 11:32AM
Ender's Shadow was great..not as good as Ender's Game, but good in its own right..

Not exactly as you described, but have you read Into Thin Air (Mt. Everest disaster account). Easy read and chilling..

Also, The Kite Runner (Afghanistan) was excellent..

kiva

----------------------
Posted by: wickedsteve
Date: June 22, 2007 11:35AM
ztirffritz
Has anyone read 'Ender's Shadow'? I thought that looked interesting.

Yes. If you read Ender's Game then you know most of the plot to Ender's Shadow. It is mostly the same story from another characters perspective. Sounds lame huh? But it is not. It is still interesting to see stuff that happened to Bean that was not in Ender's game. I liked it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2007 11:35AM by wickedsteve.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: June 22, 2007 02:18PM
Finney
I'm a huge Vonnegut fan, so when I read Christopher Moore's "Fluke" I was completely and thoroughly engaged from cover to cover. Its hysterical!

-Finney

I just fihished "Fluke" a couple of weeks ago. Great story. I've read several other books by Christopher Moore - really enjoyed "Lamb."

I'm just started "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini. He also wrote "The Kite Runner", which I also recommend.

Have a safe trip!
Posted by: freescotland
Date: June 22, 2007 02:33PM
Try the massive "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell"

It will get you quite a ways on your trip. Very good book.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: June 22, 2007 03:05PM
I just started this one and so far it has been very engaging...Last Flag Down: The Epic Journey of the Last Confederate Warship

"By late 1864, it seemed clear that the Confederacy had only a short time to live. In the west, the Army of the Tennessee was a spent, shattered force. In the east, Lee's Army of Northern Virginia was besieged at Petersburg, and the depredations of Sherman and Sheridan brought Southern soldiers to the brink of starvation. In the midst of this gloom, a Confederate ship, the Shenandoah, left Britain and launched a series of remarkably successful raids on Union shipping across vast expanses of open sea. However, cut off from communication with the Southern homeland, the crew was unaware of the surrender of Confederate armies in April 1865. Since the Shenandoah continued raiding, in strictly legal terms the sailors on board were now pirates. When the officers realized this, they began a heroic effort to find a refuge for themselves and their crew. Baldwin and Powers have written a stirring account of one of the more obscure episodes of the Civil War, filled with stunning examples of personal courage in the face of adversity."

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2007 03:06PM by Harbourmaster.
Posted by: St. Bernard
Date: June 23, 2007 12:00PM
Life of Pi for something contemporary. Meaty without being overly philosophical.

Jude the Obscure for something from the literary canon. A little off the beaten path for a romantic English novel.

House of the Dead for a little taste of (old) Russian politics.

The Periodic Table for something that crosses genres, combining fiction, painful autobiography, and humor through the lens of chemistry.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 79
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020