advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Friday timewaster thread- forum niks explained
Posted by: dmann
Date: June 22, 2007 10:27AM
Been curious about this one for a while... Hopefully everyone will play along!

What does your nick mean and how is it pronounced?

dmann- boring, but it is part of my name, not an indication of my gender or my ego
pronounced D Man with the emphasis on the "D" smiling smiley

DM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Friday timewaster thread- forum niks explained
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: June 22, 2007 10:30AM
My nickname is Fritz. In college I was trying to get a Yahoo email account that wasn't Fritz123455 or something like that. I started experimenting and found that ztirffritz worked. I've used frequently else where since then.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 22, 2007 10:41AM
My regular account stopped working. I thought I'd try creating a new account as a "testcase". The new account worked. I never did find out why my original account had problems.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: June 22, 2007 10:41AM
For a while I was using my real name back on the old forum; had a bad incident with one of the posters who looked me up, found my telephone number and address, and started to harass me. Not a big deal, but enough to make me want to go a little more invisible. I was trying to think of a nik, happened to be watching FUTURAMA at the time, and Zoidberg was on the screen at the moment I looked, so there you go.

I also contend that my posts are more entertaining if you read them in his voice.

Thinking back, maybe I could have done something more meaningful to me, but it's too late to go back now, eh? FWIW, I also use "Zoidbert" at a few haunts.

Posted by: vision63
Date: June 22, 2007 10:46AM
I remember that nonsense Zoidberg.

I wanted to be just "vision" on AOL and of course they made me something like vision63499586. I tried vision6 but that didn't work but vision63 did.

I think it's a shame that people feel reluctant to be more open on a friendly forum because of a few frustrated apples.
Posted by: archipirata
Date: June 22, 2007 10:47AM
Ark-i-pie-rot-ah is latin for Pirate Captain. I wanted somthing uniqe enough that when googled, most of the links were related to me. I use it on a number of sites.

Athens, OH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2007 10:49AM by archipirata.
Posted by: St. Bernard
Date: June 22, 2007 10:53AM
"What's your name?"
"Bernard."
"Huh?"
"Bernard"
"What?!??!?"
"BERNARD!!!. B-E-R-N-A-R-D. You know, like the dog, St. Bernard?"
"Oh."

That and I'm incredibly saintly. Four out of five popes agree!
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: June 22, 2007 10:56AM
I've used voodoopenguin for many years on various groups. It combines a couple of things I like. Penguins are obvious but voodoo is a reference to the music of Jimi Hendrix as in Voodoo Chile (Slight Return). The idea of a voodoopenguin appealed to me.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: June 22, 2007 10:56AM
Always loved robots, really liked the animated show "Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot".
Folks always called me "Big Guy" since I am 6' 4"+, and "Big Guy the robot has a human inside, so I took the nick.

BGnR
From wiki.:
"Big Guy - Designated as the BGY-11, the so-called 'robot' champion of Earth was actually a heavily-armed battlesuit, piloted by Lieutenant Dwayne Hunter. When Quark Industries failed to produce an actual robot with artificial intelligence, the solution was to use a human pilot. As Hunter puts it, the Big Guy was nothing more than a fancy tank. Big Guy is able to fly, possesses great strength and is armed with a variety of integrated weaponry, including the signature fold-out guns in the elbow housings. Unlike Rusty, he is powered by a Colbolt/Thorium G Power Core. Always ready with a patriotic quip, Big Guy's personality is much different than that of his human pilot in real life."

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: Jem
Date: June 22, 2007 10:57AM
Jem is a tip of the hat to a character in Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird"...not to be confused with the "Truly Outrageous" variant you sometimes run in to ;)
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 22, 2007 11:05AM
wow, all so interesting

mine are my initials -- nothing more -- same nick i had at the old place

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: June 22, 2007 11:05AM
Jem
Jem is a tip of the hat to a character in Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird"...not to be confused with the "Truly Outrageous" variant you sometimes run in to ;)

I knew that, and I respect it, yet somehow I am a little disappointed. grinning smiley

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 22, 2007 11:09AM
I've used this 'id' since 1973 in high school FORTRAN class. What can I say- I'm a slave to convenience. That and it's a sop to poor memory (on my part). I will confess to having had to refer to my ID badge at work to remember my name on occasion.
Posted by: kahuna1342
Date: June 22, 2007 11:16AM
Kahuna1342

Well, around the time I got my first mac (a lovely Performa 6118), Pulp Fiction was a popular movie. In the breakfast scene they have Big Kahuna Burgers. I was signing up with AOL and bigkahuna plus many other variants were already taken. So, I just stuck with kahuna and needed some numbers to go with it. 13 is just because people are superstitious about it and 42 was the answer the the question of life, the universe and everything in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

All very silly.
smiling smiley

Two wrongs don't make a right, but, three rights make a left.
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 22, 2007 11:19AM
I'm sure it is obvious that mine is just my initials. I had another nik a loooong time ago at the old haunt and then for some reason I couldn't log into it, so I created a new account with rgG. The last G is a capital to denote that it is the last name. It was all I could think of to make just initials look a little more interesting.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: blooz
Date: June 22, 2007 11:23AM
I got my copy of "The complete recordings of Robt Johnson" the same week as i got my Blue & white G3 tower (a month before the g4s were announced, 'natch) and they both involved "blue" in some way and made me very happy. So i was mrblooz for a while and got a little less formal when i cme to this place.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: michaelb
Date: June 22, 2007 11:32AM
Back in the old days on dealmac, the forum policy was that you were supposed to post in your name. That was before registration there and most people followed that rule. I was one of 3-4 Michaels at the time, and have kept using it ever since.

Michael is as anonymous as anything else.
Posted by: Stephanie
Date: June 22, 2007 11:33AM
I think I'll leave you guessing as to the meaning of my name. smiling smiley
Posted by: Monster
Date: June 22, 2007 11:37AM
Monster, well... because I can be.
I', a Monster all over the net, used to be that I could sign up the nick anywhere I went, now I find that many places it's already taken so I use jocnsoc instead (mine and Monster wife's initials), or a Monster variant, and sometimes something else just to be different.

One problem I have is that I don't always remember what I used, or the email addy I used, then I have to create a new nick.

The Taoist Zhuangzi said, "Good order results spontaneously when things are let alone".
The sociologist, and historian, Adam Ferguson described the phenomenon of spontaneous order in society as the "result of human action, but not the execution of any human design".
Posted by: bazookaman
no idea where it came from...but bazookaman just references...

Posted by: Lux Interior
I measure the output of automobile dome lights as a profession.
Posted by: threeprong
Date: June 22, 2007 11:38AM
My nick has nothing to do with electrical plugs. When I first starting getting online in 96-97 I was either in forums or playing Myth : The Fallen Lords. In this game you commanded several troops and attacked other armies. My default tactic was to use Napoleon's Three Pronged Attack strategy and thus earned the name ThreeProng in the Myth community.

SO 10 years later, I'm still threeprong in several communities.

I also have a third leg but that's coincidence.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 22, 2007 11:40AM
My name is Rick, and way back I used to play on a softball team at work. I was one of the pitchers and one day we played a team that had guys as big (and almost as talented) as pros. They were hitting everything I threw, and usually line shots straight back to my head. I could hear the guys on my team screaming after every hit "Rick!...OH!" as I managed to snag almost every one of those hits at the last moment.

After that day, I was known as Rick-o.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: June 22, 2007 11:42AM
I chose this name because I needed a new nick at some point "over there" and at the same time Howard Stern was making fun of Ryan Seacrest using "Seacrest, Out!" as a catch phrase, so I chose this nick and used "Seacrest, Out!" as my sig.

My real name, however, is Beatrice.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: June 22, 2007 11:46AM
Here's a link about mine:

[forums.dealmac.com]

I have a couple posts within the first 5 or so that explains it.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Wild eep
Date: June 22, 2007 11:48AM
Not telling.
Posted by: billb
Date: June 22, 2007 11:53AM
billb
or
bill b

shouldn't need explanations(s)
Posted by: Jp!
Date: June 22, 2007 11:57AM
absolutely no reason for my name at all. Just random, yet uniquely searchable.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 22, 2007 12:03PM
mikebw

First name shortened, and last name initials. Pretty boring I suppose, but when your name is Michael all you need is a little something different to get by. When I was in school I had about 3 friends whose names were also Michael, so we would just call each other by the initials for our last name. I was BW, there was H, McQ, and Muss. Even at work now everyone calls me by my last name which is very unique in contrast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2007 12:04PM by mikebw.
Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: June 22, 2007 12:13PM
My original login on the old forum was my initials - MGS.

I think you can figure out why I created a new nick.

BTW, my first name is also Michael.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2007 12:14PM by MGS_forgot_password.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 22, 2007 12:17PM
mine is Spanish for bellybutton

why? because it sounded cool when i needed a nick

Wait until you hear the backstory to Pronaholics....

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Don Kiyoti
Date: June 22, 2007 12:22PM
Don Kiyoti is a character in George Herriman's wonderful comic Krazy Kat.

[picasaweb.google.com] [www.flickr.com]
Posted by: Silencio
Date: June 22, 2007 12:24PM
I was looking for a new nick at the same time that Mulholland Drive came out.
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: June 22, 2007 12:24PM
My nickname when I was a baby and little boy was Pinkoo. However, when this whole internet thing started and I started signing up at different websites, a few places required 7 or more characters for a username. So, I stuck an "s" on the end and the rest is, as they say, pinkoos-tory.

My music blog: [www.auditorymusings.net]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posted by: jimbrady
Date: June 22, 2007 12:25PM
jimbrady.

I chose this name to annoy Furious Styles (apropos of a heated topic at the time I registered at Dealmac).

Date: June 22, 2007 12:29PM
These are great! Keep 'em coming...

On a few other forums, I use adgeka for:
ADriana
GEoffrey
KAsey
- my nieces and nephew

DM
Posted by: Glued
Date: June 22, 2007 12:35PM
was 'Glued to the Screen' over at the other place, but when I registered here I used my AOL email as the reply email and never received the confirmation. Without investigating, I re-registered using 'unGlued' and used another AOL account - still no confirmation. It was figured out that AOL spam blocking was not playing nice with the emails, but I could not use the previous names because I didn't have the confirmations so I got stuck using 'Glued' with one of my non-AOL addresses.

'Glued to the Screen' because my work keeps me in front of the computer all day and then I still find myself screwing around on the damned thing afterwards. Seemed truthful as my eyes melt away.
Posted by: earache
Date: June 22, 2007 12:42PM
My alias earache comes from my real name Eric. Just a playful twist on pronunciation, nothing more than that. Been using that nickname for years, even before the rise of the internets.

earache
Posted by: davester
Date: June 22, 2007 12:46PM
The wife of a good friend of mine named Bruce has always referred to him as the Brucester. Eventually this got around to me (Dave) being referred to as the Davester, hence my nick.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: wickedsteve
Date: June 22, 2007 12:46PM
My real name is Steve. And it is not the slang wicked, meaning extreme or awesome. It is the literal wicked, meaning evil, mischievous or malicious.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 22, 2007 12:57PM
Paul F....

It means... Paul F(insert remainder of last name).

I should make up some good story about my handle.. like "It was the name of the first person I killed and chopped up in little bits..."..
But that whole concept makes me a little queasy... Not the making stuff up about my handle.. the other part.

I've got other older handles other places on the web, but more and more I find myself using a couple variations of my name for new registrations... mainly so I can remember 'em.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 22, 2007 01:31PM
wasn't particularly fond of given middle name of Edwin, so borrowed "Buzz" in 1969 from then Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin, who several years later had his Edwin legally removed and replaced w/ Buzz. haven't taken such permanent steps at my end, but my more adventurous exploits have been known as "Buzz Stories" for nearly forty years, and hey, these forums are mighty adventurous at times...

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: wave rider
Date: June 22, 2007 01:31PM
Literal.

=wr=
Posted by: weapon
Date: June 22, 2007 01:32PM
Back in college at Oregon State University in 1990, myself and another pledge were the skinniest guys in the fraternity. We got a new Photocopy machine in the house and my room mate made up a boxing style poster setting up a fake match. One was called the "the Titan" and I was "The Weapon". It has stayed with me ever since.

Not only was it my fraternity name, it soon overcame my real name. Most people that I went to college with do not know my real name. To this day, they all just call me weapon.

My real name is Rob.

GO Beavs. Working on back to back College world series titles... Sat 4 pm pacific time.
Posted by: TLB
Date: June 22, 2007 01:39PM
Boring initials. I can't use my long time nick anymore because I've actually become so linked to the nick it is part of my persona; nearly all of my personal information was acccessible in about 30 seconds. I've also used 'el gordo' quite a bit because for much of my life I was in stark contrast to the nick. Unfortunately that is no longer the case.
Posted by: jardster
Date: June 22, 2007 01:46PM
ever since jr high, my nickname was Jard (shortened version of my real name). When I went to college, I met new friends and they started calling me Jard-- they didn't know that it was my nickname before! On the old place, I was Jard... here, I tried to sign in using Jard and it got f-ed up, so I added the "ster." (another version of the same nickname... usually used when drinking).

Date: June 22, 2007 01:49PM
jard- same with me! Some HS friends called me dmann and when I got to college a sorority sister started calling me dmann. She had no idea I had been called that before!

Like weapon said, there are people who still don't know my real name- when I run into them they always say "dmann!" smiling smiley

DM
Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 22, 2007 02:03PM
Paul F.
Paul F....

It means... Paul F(insert remainder of last name).

I should make up some good story about my handle.. like "It was the name of the first person I killed and chopped up in little bits..."..
But that whole concept makes me a little queasy... Not the making stuff up about my handle.. the other part.

I've got other older handles other places on the web, but more and more I find myself using a couple variations of my name for new registrations... mainly so I can remember 'em.

just so you all know, it's Paul Fartbottomthundercheeks.

and, as for me

I have owned a Buick GSX for about 18 years. They made 846 of them in 3 years, and mine is a '71. one of 124 made that year. I think there are 2 real '71s in the state, and mine has the biggest engine. Anyway, in '70, they only came in 2 colors, white ot yellow, and Racer X's car is yellow, so it sort of fit. I have a friend from when i was growing up who actually had a white '70 GSX, and his personalized plate was actually Racer X. I have been trying to get that plate back on a Buick GSX for 18 years. Some punk college kid has it on a red Alpha Romeo right now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2007 02:08PM by Racer X.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: June 22, 2007 02:55PM
My nik is a reference to the fact that I have been riding Harbour surfboards for the last three decades and I am still trying to master the art of wave riding.

[www.harboursurfshop.com]

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: john dough
Date: June 22, 2007 04:28PM
Years ago, I was talking with a coworker about a business opportunity that made a good amount of money for me and from that point, she started calling me "Mr. Dough". I thought "Mr Dough" was boring as a name for a forum, and I thought "John Doe" was too common.

Found out later that there was a adult film star with that name - go figure.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 82
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020