advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Buy one Get one Free - kinda a poll..
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: December 13, 2005 09:51PM
Alright - my wife and I like Edy's slow chruned 1/2 the fat, 1/3rd the calories ice cream. Get it now and again - but only when it's on sale.

On sale seems to always mean Buy one Get one Free... and seems like it's always for sale that way.

So a dumb question.... It's 6 bucks for a quart - but really 3 since you get two of them.

Would you rather buy one, get one free - Like paying $3 each... or just have to get one of them and pay $4 for it?

To me - rather have a better price for one... A quart lasts a lot longer when there's only one of them too. smiling smiley

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Buy one Get one Free - kinda a poll..
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 13, 2005 09:57PM
Depends on how much of whatever the product is that I want...

If I can get one 5 gallon bucket of tapioca pudding for $10, or a "buy one, get one free" for $8, I'll pay the extra $2 for just the one...

After all, what am I going to do with TWO five gallon buckets of tapioca pudding?
Well, that doesn't involve strippers, that is...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: December 13, 2005 09:59PM
But technically - you don't have to take the free one... Can pay $8 for one. smiling smiley

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: ArtP
Date: December 13, 2005 10:15PM
OWC Larry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Would you rather buy one, get one free - Like
> paying $3 each... or just have to get one of them
> and pay $4 for it?
>
> To me - rather have a better price for one... A
> quart lasts a lot longer when there's only one of
> them too.

Depends on the item, if it is a consumable like food then Buy One Get One Free works best.

For something like iPod Car Chargers, it depends on the market. Many Households are still 2 car families so it would be a cool deal for some of the population and deal freaks like us. Buy most people in the market for iPod Car Chargers just need one, and will pull the trigger if the price is right (and if they didn't know about the 3rd Party cheap ones on eBay).

Now something like a iTrip, Buy One Get One Free is a better example. Leave one in the Car, have the other at Work or at Home without having to remember to bring it out to the Car.

It all Depends on the item and the Market.

Posted by: incognegro
Date: December 13, 2005 11:01PM
we only buy the pints of Haazen Dazs, Ben & Jerry's, and other "gourmet" ice creams, except for when we're having company and need to serve a lot of ice cream to guests.

always get them on sale, and it's usually 2 for $5 or thereabouts. yes, expensive, but we don't eat as much ice cream that way, either. smiling smiley

hands up, who loves Chunky Monkey?

Posted by: RgrF
Date: December 13, 2005 11:30PM
Ben & Jerry's P'nut Butter Cup. (So the guests get the Kroger's special eh?) ;)

"Who's more foolish - the fool or the fool that follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi
Posted by: incognegro
Date: December 13, 2005 11:41PM
guests get Breyer's or Turkey Hill, which is still good ice cream.
Posted by: bangman
Date: December 13, 2005 11:47PM
Great thread. It's this kind of pricing that is both beautiful and confusing at the same time. Is there real value there?

---------
3GHz - The clock is STILL ticking Steve.
Posted by: Monster
Date: December 14, 2005 01:18AM
Around here Edy's is always going on sale for around $2.50 for the 1.75 quart container, I hardly ever buy if it's not on sale.
Dangit, I just went to get the Gingerbread Man ice cream to finish off, it goes well with my Fosters Bitter though.
Posted by: pinion
Date: December 14, 2005 02:02AM
Buy the limit and get as many free as possible. At that price you can't afford not to go for it!

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: RgrF
Date: December 14, 2005 02:10AM
Hey Larry,

think you can pass this buy one get one free marketing on to Steve?

Another thought, buy one share of Apple and get one free. . . . . an idea that would turn the market on its collective head, like getting a two for one split in advance.

"Who's more foolish - the fool or the fool that follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi
Posted by: bill b
Date: December 14, 2005 07:38AM
They do that with 5 and ten pound sacks of potatoes here, too.
I usually end up giving the "free" one away.
Otherwise the potatoe plants start pushing the cabinet door open.
I used to give the extra one to my sister with kids, but it became my fault she was getting wide in the seat.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: December 14, 2005 10:01AM
Sometimes, if you beg and plead with the checkout person, they'll actually give you one item at half price...

Occasionally works in So. Cal at various grocery stores...
Date: December 14, 2005 12:57PM
That's an interesting option... Really hate to hold up the lines we always seem to have at our grocery stores...

There are plenty of HEALTHY things I love to see the buy one get one free on. Rotate brands on that basis rather often...

But for ice cream... less is better imho - as having two doesn't mean it lasts twice as long. And I think the other poster is right -they are 1.75Quarts.

IMHO - buy one, get one free - for things you'd normally not buy 2 of - is just promoting consumption.

MikeF Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sometimes, if you beg and plead with the checkout
> person, they'll actually give you one item at half
> price...
>
> Occasionally works in So. Cal at various grocery
> stores...

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: December 14, 2005 05:09PM
It's a rare grocery store that doesn't give you one item for half the price. I have had to preach that at home when our weight started going up.

"Hey! Ben & Jerry's @ two for $5 also means ONE for $2.50!"

Which.... it does. She didn't believe it until I presented it at the register. Still.... I think she buys two anyway, because she's an Ice Cream-aholic.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: December 15, 2005 06:02AM
The only time the buy one/get one thing doesn't work for me is when I (rarely) shop at Stop & Shop here. They use one of those card systems where a pound of say bacon sells for $5.00 reg price but with the S&H Shoppers card it's only $2.50!

They apply the same pricing structure to their 2 for 1's. Buy one at $5.00 and get another FREE! The only problem with this logic is that bacon *everywhere* else sells for $2.50 all day long with no cards or gimmicks.

Double the price and then offer a 50% discount! It's the retail model of the future because as we all know, everyone buys when there's a sale. winking smiley

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 155
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020