advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How to cook beef loin
Posted by: Dakota
Date: July 03, 2007 09:00AM
For the 4th cookout I am looking at a big chunk of what is labeled as beef loin at Costco(~$80). Now, how do I cook this without embarrassing myself in front of the crowd?Is there a better cut to go with? They also have filet at the same price but smaller.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How to cook beef loin
Posted by: Jp!
Date: July 03, 2007 09:11AM
You mean a whole tenderloin?

Like this?

Well, I like to grill them whole, medium rare. Salt pepper to taste.

Also good is to slice them into fillets, real thick. And grill or broil them.

It's a good cut or choice. But I do remember someone thinking a whole tenderloin was a TONGUE once, and putting a TON of ketchup on theirs. LMAO.
Posted by: Dakota
Date: July 03, 2007 09:19AM
I'd like to cook it in one piece then carve and serve. The one I saw is wider and bigger than your picture. There is so much confusion out there with names.
Date: July 03, 2007 09:26AM
That's a pretty big/wide one in that pic, IMO.

I've seen much smaller, too.

The one trick I heard, but have not gotten the hang of yet, is doneness...

1. poke your cheek with your finger...that's RARE
2. Poke your chin...that's MEDIUM
3. Poke your forehead..that's WELL.

I tried that on some steaks this week...worked pretty good. Still testing my satisfaction with it as a method, though.
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: July 03, 2007 09:38AM
>
> what is labeled as beef loin
>

"loin" can be a number of things ranging from tenderloin (aka filet) to sirloin

here's a good primer [www.foodsubs.com]

If it is a good cut you should not need any marinate - just a good meat thermometer
Seer it on a hot grill on all sides to seal the jusies in and then back the heat off a bit
and cook until medium rare 145° or to medium 160°

If you guest want it beyond medium give them a hot dog : -)

Date: July 03, 2007 09:46AM
I like this chart, too, if you want to ascertain cuts.

Date: July 03, 2007 09:48AM
A tenderloin is tapered...

see the one in the forefront?

Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: July 03, 2007 09:50AM
First you slit the cow's throat . . .
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: July 03, 2007 09:53AM
Do it simillar to how you'd do a steak on the grill...

My preference is a brief marinade in a few tablespoons of soy sauce( 30 min), some pepper, and rub with crushed garlic.
Long involved marinades are for lousy meat... if you have a good cut, marinades just hide the taste of the MEAT.

And remember;
Undercooked you can fix... (microwaves are darn handy for that after the outside is properly done... if necessary).
Overcooked you can't.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: July 03, 2007 10:02AM
Trim the fat.

Rub in some olive oil, garlic, freshly ground peppercorns and kosher salt.

Fridge it for 30 minutes.

Grill-cook it slowly and thoroughly.

Slice it across the grain.
Posted by: smacks
Date: July 03, 2007 10:51AM
Do NOT trim the fat on tenderloins - There is not much fat to begin with, and they will not be as flavorful or moist. Back in the 80's, many restaurants actually "larded" tenderloins (stuffed slivers of fat into the center of the cut), or wrapped them in bacon...

However, DO trim any "silverskin," or tough and fibery membrane that separates the forward part of the tenderloin from the "chain." If left on, this stuff can ruin an otherwise perfect cut...

Cheers, J
Date: July 03, 2007 10:58AM
I personally like to cook/sear them fast, not cook them slowly.
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: July 03, 2007 11:08AM
> Do NOT trim the fat on tenderloins - There is not much fat to begin with

That depends on the butcher and the specific cut. I suppose that I could have been more precise and said "trim any big deposits of fat without cutting into the muscle."

> they will not be as flavorful or moist.

Fat is not especially beneficial to flavor above a certain amount. A good cut of meat has plenty of flavor and the olive oil in the rub, along with the inevitable veins of fat in the meat should be more than sufficient to bring that out. Additionally, the rub should help to hold in moisture.

Also, IME, if you don't trim the fat, the flavor of the rub won't make it into the meat evenly.
Date: July 03, 2007 11:13AM
On rib roasts, I think the rub stays in the FAT ...better. Sure, it does not make it into muscle/meat, but that's just part of the equation. That being said, I would not want much outer fat on a filet of beef.
Posted by: sscutchen
Date: July 03, 2007 12:10PM
The following recipe is based on roasting it in an oven.

You could also do this on a grill. But the key part is a very hot sear, then TURN DOWN THE HEAT ON THE GRILL and let it roast slowely so that it cookes to the proper temperature evenly all the way through.

Roast Beef Tenderloin with Mushroom Ragout
From Food Network Kitchens

Recipe Summary
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings

2 pounds center-cut beef tenderloin roast

Could use the center only. Or tuck under the tail end to get a similar thickness to the head part. Tie it to hold it.
Remove the silver skin on the outside.

Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (higher smoke point)
1 tablespoon butter
Optional: Dijon or Whole-grain mustard, cracked mixed peppercorns, or herbes d' Provence
Mushroom Ragout, recipe follows

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Heat a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Season the beef all over with salt and a generous amount of pepper. Add the oil to the skillet and heat until shimmering. Add the butter and swirl to melt. Add the beef and sear until mahogany brown on all sides, about 8 minutes total.

Transfer the skillet to the oven. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 125 degrees F. for medium-rare, about 25 minutes. Transfer the roast to a cutting board, tent it very loosely with aluminum foil, and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes.

Slice crosswise at a 45 degree angle, arrange on a platter, and serve with the mushroom ragout.

Mushroom Ragout:
1 pound mixed mushrooms, such as shiitake, cremini, or white button
2 to 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium shallot or 1/2 small onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped
1/2 cup Madeira, vermouth, or white wine
1/3 cup heavy cream

Clean the mushrooms by brushing with a kitchen towel or a brush to remove any loose dirt. Remove the shiitake stems and discard. Trim the dry ends off the cremini and white mushroom stems. Quarter all the mushrooms and put in a bowl.

Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and spread them out evenly in the pan, increase the heat to high. Let the mushrooms cook undisturbed until they brown, then shake the pan to turn them over. Add the additional butter along the sides of the pan as the mushrooms cook if the pan seems very dry. Continue to cook until nicely browned, about 5 minutes. Add the shallot and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Season the mushrooms with the salt and pepper and add the thyme. Pull the pan off the heat and add the Madeira or the wine. Return pan to the heat and scrape up any of the brown bits that cling to the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Add the heavy cream and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and serve.

Yield: 2 cups

Episode#: BW2B03

Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

Don't ask who the bell's for, dude. It's you.
Posted by: wowzer
Date: July 04, 2007 08:26AM
Not sure about beef loin, but I buy a large pack of beef rib eye roast from Costco and BJ's for about $5.99 a pound. I cut them into 1 to 1.5 inch slices. That's about 1 pound each.

To cook, put nothing on it. High temp on your barbeque. Wait for the temp to get about 400 degrees. Quickly open the lid and toss the steaks on. Close lid and wait about 4 minutes. Turn over the steaks and let the other side get seared. You want high temps to seal in the juices. Wait about 3-4 minutes on the second side. Turn the steak one last time for about 1 minute.

Remove and eat. It'll be medium rare at around 1-2 mm of the outside. The inside will be raw (best IMO). If you want to do medium rare, then extend the time of that last 1 minute to about 5 minutes.

Wait about 3 minutes for the juices inside to redistribute. Word of caution if you do medium rare...when you cut it, the juices inside will actually gush out at you. It's simply amazing.

To season it, sprinkle a little dash of salt after cooking.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 137
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020