advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any long-time readers of Stereophile magazine?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 08, 2007 08:53PM
I've run across Sterophile from time to time, and it always reminds me that years ago there was a "high-end" audio magazine that was about the size of a thin Reader's Digest or maybe a little taller.

I don't know if that was Stereophile or not. A guy who claims to be a long time reader said it's always been in full-size format.

Then I thought it might be a different mag, possibly called Audiophile (Not Audio) but he never heard of that.

Can anyone provide edification?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any long-time readers of Stereophile magazine?
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: July 08, 2007 09:25PM
No help down here . . . I am a long time reader/subscriber to Stereo Review (now Sound & Vision). but it has always been full size (to the best of my knowledge).

Wish I could help . . .

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: Bixby
Date: July 08, 2007 09:26PM
Stereophile hasn't always been full-sized. Here's a 1984 copy on ebay that's 5.5x8.5 inches:

[cgi.ebay.com]
Posted by: john dough
Date: July 08, 2007 09:44PM
Many years ago I used to read the Absolute Sound, and that was more Reader's Digest size. Similar in topics as Stereophile, but WAAAAAAY more snooty.

I remember that one person wrote a letter to the editor saying that they heard a "marked difference" in tonearms, specifically one that was selling for $3000 vs. $1900.

I stopped reading all of those magazines when they claimed that the iPod is for people who don't care about music. Granted, these rigs sound unreal when matched up with the right room/music, but I think that there is little connection to how one feels toward what they listen to and the playback device.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 08, 2007 10:52PM
Thanks, bill. I too have been a long, long time subscriber to both Stereo Review and Audio, but only picked up the occasional issue of Sound and Vision.

Bixby, Stereophile it was! <whew!> My memory is a little shaky, digging that far back!

I hadn't heard of The Absolute Sound until a few years ago. Reading a review or two kept me at bay, because of that Snoot Factor.

I went to a HiFi convention many years ago and saw some incredible gear, but hearing "audiophiles" argue the merits of specs whose delta can only be measured with higher-end test gear was really, really boring, and seemed like a lot of posing.

Both Stereo Review and Audio were fans of double blind testing, and couldn't get anybody from the "high-end" mags to participate.

Thanks again, all.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020