advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Yes! Die casual dress..DIE!!
Posted by: Jp!
Date: July 10, 2007 05:49AM
It's 'shorts' month here, and yet, I wear a suit and tie!!

(Greed, gentleman, is good)

Alex Keatons REBEL!!!!!!!

[www.usatoday.com]

"It started with casual Fridays and got out of hand," says June Webb, in Alexandria, Va., a fashion consultant. "Now companies are starting to clamp down a little bit. They've found women have a tendency to show off too much skin, and men tend to show up in clothes that are wrinkled and not ironed."

"The pendulum has swung," says CEO Jonathan Bloom. "We went through a too-casual period. … In the aftermath of the dot-com bubble, we tightened things up a little. When we were very casual, the quality of the work wasn't as good."

[www.imdb.com]
[movies.ign.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Yes! Die casual dress..DIE!!
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 10, 2007 07:03AM
I find that the quality of my work correlates directly with the quality of suit i wear that day.

Posted by: silvarios
Date: July 10, 2007 07:30AM
I've never read so much crap in my life. I say if your idiot employees can't work well in a bathrobe then you fire them. I've been around some very scruffy axe murderer looking people and their work has been quite excellent and I've been around well pressed individuals and their work has been piss poor. The "quality" of dress has never been the deciding factor of performance.

I could rant some more, but come on people. Here's something all Mac people should understand. If a billionaire, successful head of a multi billion dollar company can do keynotes in mock turtlenecks, jeans, and tennis shoes, all these wannabe "professionals" can get by in something less than dress casual. Suits are fine enough, ties are senseless and just a useless piece of dangly fabric. And guess what my clothes may be wrinkled on occasion, but the work I do when interacting with fellow human beings never suffers because of the type and quality of clothes I may be wearing. Appearance? What a juvenile standard to judge someone by!

Don't get me wrong, if you want to wear a suit when interacting with me that's fine. Khaki and polo. That's fine as well. Tee shirt, sandals, and shorts. Also fine. I can't tell someone what works best for them and I won't let people tell me what works best for me.

Nathan
Posted by: Robert M
Date: July 10, 2007 07:32AM
JP!,

Casual attire Live! Live! Live! There is a time and place for both and believe you me I am grateful I do not have to break out a suit and tie for my job. If nothing else, I save a tremendous amount of money on dry cleaning bills. That clean sneakers, jeans, a nice shirt that isn't wrinkled are vastly more comfortable than business attire is just an added benefit.

Robert
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 10, 2007 07:40AM
Every office that I have worked that had business casual, the women were the big offenders of the policy. The guys all wore khakis and polos or short sleeve shirts. The women wore leggings, spandex, belly shirts, tank tops and flip flops. The funny thing is that the ones wearing the tightest/most revealing clothing were the ones that shouldn't have been.
Date: July 10, 2007 07:42AM
I disagree. I think jeans are tough/binding/ not at all comfortable compared to about any dress pant.
Date: July 10, 2007 07:54AM
JP!,

To some extent, casual pants and dress pants are softer and less binding. But, a good pair of jeans that fit properly shouldn't be binding. Tough, yes but less so with fabric softener but not binding. Believe me when I say I had to go through hell and back to finally find jeans that fit me properly. Size 33/30 or 33/29, slim fit, low-rise jeans are not that easy to come by in regular store. Now if only I could find low-rise casual and dress pants. Slim fit is not an issue. A tailor can take care of that aspect but the rise is a different matter entirely. Grrr.

Robert

P.S. Mac, hear! Hear! I suspect one of the reasons casual day is an issue is because women abuse it. Believe you me, I can tell you some horror stories.
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: July 10, 2007 08:12AM
My outdoor thermometer read 107 degrees this morning.

'Just sayin'.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 10, 2007 08:12AM
I do not come in contact with customers or vendors. I am an engineer. I hate ties (or anything around my throat for that matter.. I have asthma). I haven't worn a suit for... 16 years.

My productivity is defined by the interface between my mind and my hands. Clothing is irrelevant to the concept.

A tie is merely a mind control device foisted upon us hapless males by the silk-bearing overlords. It cuts off circulation to the brain, making us more susceptible to stupidity.

Death to Ties ! Hooray Business Casual !
Date: July 10, 2007 08:25AM
Heathen!
Posted by: btfc
Date: July 10, 2007 08:39AM
A tie is just a vestigial leash.
Posted by: spacescape
Date: July 10, 2007 08:41AM
I personally think casual attire has gone overboard. I think it's mainly a problem w/ the woman. Every day I need to wear slacks and either a golf shirt or a dress shirt. Ties aren't required. I can wear jeans on Friday. Now the woman here (any shape or size I may add) think that Mon-Fri casual Friday and are pushing the "pedal pusher" trend. I personally like them when they are just to the knee... That way, it's almost as if they are wearing shorts...

That being said, I think woman have many more choices than men in the business world to dress "down" and "comfortable". I think Mon-Thurs should be "business casual" which is slacks, blouse, golf shirt, dress or skirt... Now Friday, that can be the pedal pusher and jeans day.

I'm only 32 and am not offended (and actually enjoy what they are wearing sometimes if you know what I mean). But when a customer comes into our office (which is often) it just looks a little "too casual".

I should add that it's about 95 degrees here in the Detroit area and I'm just hot and grouchy and pissed that I can't wear shorts today. smiling smiley

Bill
Date: July 10, 2007 08:52AM
Space,

I hear ya! I definitely enjoy the eye candy when it comes to the way women dress casually. However, unfortunately, some women become eye barf because they dress casually in a manner that does not suit their body. Let's just say in all too many cases a muumuu would've been more appropriate.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2007 08:53AM by Robert M.
Date: July 10, 2007 09:00AM
I personally like the pedal pushers riding up their a$$ in a /\ ...

NOT!
Posted by: Baby Tats
Date: July 10, 2007 09:38AM
I wouldn't work at a job that required me to wear a suit and tie. Period.

BT

Signed parental releases are on file for all tattooed minors.
Date: July 10, 2007 09:41AM
Mine doesn't. The current code is shorts/shirt. I CHOOSE to wear a tie.
Date: July 10, 2007 09:49AM
WOW... Just got back from an investment meeting... What a hottie... Plaid Shorts (below the knees) and she could wear them... If she told me to put all my $$$ in high risk I probably would of listened to her...

;)
Posted by: Mark (nonick)
Date: July 10, 2007 09:49AM
Each should wear what works best for them. (assuming it's "appropriate" or whatever). Around here I work great in jeans, shirt and sport coat most of the time. Others are in Tshirts, others in $300 pants. Whatever helps your process.
Posted by: spearmint
Date: July 10, 2007 09:50AM
I always wore a suit and tie until I got in the sandblasting business and realized it turned people off because even the owners of big companies wore jeans and polos. I followed and do not even own a fitting suit anymore. I am a little saddened because my Dad wore suits every day to his tool and die shop. I think suits look good and exude class. I like ties.

Da Good Life
Date: July 10, 2007 09:57AM
My dad always wore dress shirt to his FOUNDRY job. You come out black.
Posted by: karsen
Date: July 10, 2007 10:10AM
I live in Florida, ties don't go well on the beach. I work from home and I usually wear underwear, but when I want to get all dressed up I wear shorts and a polo.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: July 10, 2007 10:33AM
silvarios
I've never read so much crap in my life. I say if your idiot employees can't work well in a bathrobe then you fire them. I've been around some very scruffy axe murderer looking people and their work has been quite excellent and I've been around well pressed individuals and their work has been piss poor. The "quality" of dress has never been the deciding factor of performance.

I could rant some more, but come on people. Here's something all Mac people should understand. If a billionaire, successful head of a multi billion dollar company can do keynotes in mock turtlenecks, jeans, and tennis shoes, all these wannabe "professionals" can get by in something less than dress casual. Suits are fine enough, ties are senseless and just a useless piece of dangly fabric. And guess what my clothes may be wrinkled on occasion, but the work I do when interacting with fellow human beings never suffers because of the type and quality of clothes I may be wearing. Appearance? What a juvenile standard to judge someone by!

Don't get me wrong, if you want to wear a suit when interacting with me that's fine. Khaki and polo. That's fine as well. Tee shirt, sandals, and shorts. Also fine. I can't tell someone what works best for them and I won't let people tell me what works best for me.

Nathan

I second that!

Posted by: davemchine
Date: July 10, 2007 10:39AM
I work in IT, behind locked doors, in my own office, with no contact with our clients, and barely any contact with the employees. I wear dress shoes, slacks, shirt, and tie every day. When it's not too hot outside I wear a suit jacket. Ridiculous.

Dave

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: July 10, 2007 11:23AM
A former coworker stopped by the other day & told me she'd gotten in trouble at work that day for showing too much cleavage. I found it difficult to offer any sympathy because she usually dresses like a cocktail waitress at a cheap bar.

Posted by: vision63
Date: July 10, 2007 11:32AM
By and large, people that wear suits are hustlers of some form or another. What do they want or what are they trying to get you to think. The implied general impression is that they want you to think they take their work seriously. It is the uniform of seriousness.

Fashion notwithstanding (I don't include the Dapper Dan's of the world in my distrust). I like a nice simple suit on occasion.
Posted by: blooz
Date: July 10, 2007 11:39AM
I wonder if the researchers in the post above (women prefer fit men) had asked well dressed men and casually dressed men who had attracted the most girlfriends, what they would find.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: incognegro
Date: July 10, 2007 11:56AM
politicians, lawyers and bankers wear suits.
i don't really trust any of them.

ergo, suit & tie doesn't make me trust, it makes me feel distrust.

my new job allows me to wear almost anything, provided it's not too ripped up or has shrunken too much, i.e. ill-fitting. i love that.

Posted by: Silencio
Date: July 10, 2007 12:00PM
It seems like an article about how "business dress" is coming back gets run somewhere or other like clockwork every six months, yet very little actually changes.

Personally, I really like dressing up, wearing a suit and tie, or even just a tie with a more casual outfit like good jeans and a blazer. But I'm glad I don't have to wear a suit and tie to work every single day.

I guarantee it!

Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 10, 2007 12:30PM
our biggest offender was the overweight female head of our HR dept. Shorts that were too tight, too tight t-shirts, and flip-flops. And we had a stated "no shorts or sandals" policy no less. You would think the people in the HR dept would know policy, and understand that it applies to them as well. When she was finally fired the next year, she filed a wrongfull termination suit stating, among other things, descrimination because of her weight....
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 10, 2007 02:11PM
I have always felt that the real intention of Office Dress is to make everyone appear to be essentially the same: "I am just like you, so you can trust me". Much as you may distrust lawyers, if you went to a meeting and your lawyer was sitting there in cut-offs and a muscle shirt, wouldn't you have a little pang inside of wondering if this guy can really represent you and win?

That said, for most jobs I don't see that Office Dress is really necessary. I do think there should be restrictions on how UNdressed a person is allowed to be -- but I imagine the difficulty in enforcing that is what prevents a lot of offices from letting people be more casual.

Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: July 10, 2007 08:10PM
Lawyers wear neckties to keep their @#$%& from slipping up over their heads.

Posted by: ka jowct
Date: July 10, 2007 09:31PM
The funny thing is that the ones wearing the tightest/most revealing clothing were the ones that shouldn't have been.

I've been noticing this a lot lately. What's up with the apparent trend of fairly to very overweight women wearing very tight clothing? I'm willing to believe that there are some men who like that kind of thing, but it's way more information than I want.

I don't like the other extreme, either: emaciated people in skin-tight jeans. I've seen a few of those lately. It wasn't a good look the first time around.
Date: July 10, 2007 10:35PM
It worked out for the better today. My boss asked me to make a presentation to a VP today. Good thing I had dressed nicely with a sportscoat, too.

I hate seeing the presentation 40 minutes before GO TIME.
Posted by: Mike V
Date: July 12, 2007 07:24AM
T-shirt and jeans every day.

If it's super formal, I might slip on a jacket or a collared shirt.

Tie are rediculous. I don't get them at all.

The last thing anyone wants (especially the client) is a creative in a suit.

Posted by: decocritter
Date: July 13, 2007 01:19PM
Nothing looks worse than clothes that don't fit - both women and men are equal offenders.

Nothing looks worse than a cheap suit or the wrong color panty hose.

I hate men with beer bellies in tight t-shirts with their gut hanging over their pants.

Visible panty lines should be totally against the law.

T-shirts and flip flops don't look good on most people. They belong at home or the beach. That said, I love them around the house and on weekends. And my most comfortable shoes are crocs.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: July 14, 2007 08:26AM
What not to wear!

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 63
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020