The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple denied my service request
Posted by: Jp!
Date: July 10, 2007 04:02PM
Just as a follow up to this post: [forums.macresource.com]

Here is their reply:

Thank you for sending your product's proof of purchase to Apple.

Apple has reviewed your proof of purchase and your request to update the purchase date in our records. Your request was carefully considered. We regret to inform you that your request has been denied.

Your request was denied because the product received service or support prior to the purchase date you provided in your request.

Your product has the following date of purchase in our records: May XX, 2006

Sincerely,

AppleCare Agreement Administration
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple denied my service request
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 10, 2007 04:07PM
If you have a reciept that doesn't say anything about used, demo, open box or otherwise, then go after the original retailer for fraud.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 10, 2007 04:11PM
Racer X
If you have a reciept that doesn't say anything about used, demo, open box or otherwise, then go after the original retailer for fraud.

I agree. And I agree with apple - they can't consider it a new purchase if it had already rec'd service before you bought it.

You were scammed. Contact your AG at the same time and be sure to point that out to the retailer.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 10, 2007 04:13PM
kind of difficult to be mad at apple on this one.

Date: July 10, 2007 04:17PM
I never said I was mad. Please don't guess at my emotions.

I just stated facts.
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: July 10, 2007 04:32PM
Fry's strikes again! I'm just glad you didn't buy it from me when I worked there smiling smiley IIRC, it was open-box, right? I would go raise a s*** storm over there with the PIC (person in charge) if I were you. If not, part it out on eBay. You'll probably recover 1/4 of its value.
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 10, 2007 04:36PM
> Fry's strikes again!

I never saw JP! state that it was purchased from Fry's (or anywhere else), just that "It was a discounted/demo/open-box type sale", which to me means "Used" and whatever remainder of the warranty exists.
Posted by: ho'ard
Date: July 10, 2007 04:54PM
So, what do you plan to do now?
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: July 10, 2007 04:55PM
GGD
> Fry's strikes again!

I never saw JP! state that it was purchased from Fry's (or anywhere else), just that "It was a discounted/demo/open-box type sale", which to me means "Used" and whatever remainder of the warranty exists.

There has been private discussions between forum folk.
Blu knows where JP! purchased the G5.
JP!, did you keep the box with the FRY'S repack sticker?

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: DavidS
Date: July 10, 2007 05:01PM
I assumed it was purchased at Fry's also by the opening line of the original post:

"(Blu would know more about this 'practice') "

However, if you knowingly bought it open-box, you may not have much recourse with the retailer. If they sold it to you as new, then that's another story. I'm sure THEY didn't check to see if it was already registered or serviced. That was something that should have been done right away. Then, if/when it showed previous service, time to buy AppleCare before the one-year mark is up.

That does suck, though. Can't hurt to try to find a sympathetic manager at the retailer or call one of the Apple Supprt people who's job it is to make the customer happy (I forget their official title) and plead your case. You are only 1-2 months out of warranty.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 10, 2007 05:02PM
some retailers sell their demo/open box units "as new", with the implication that the "sale" to you is the first "sale" so that you should be getting a full year of warranty as part of the purchase... unfortunately, that is not the case, as many of us that frequent here have found out. all too often, such units often have a history that the buyer is unaware of. Tip of the Day... call Apple from your cell phone before completing the purchase, and discern the computer's history and eligibility; specifically asking about service. It seems Apple may be a bit more lenient if a computer was merely registered and has no service history, likely indicating a returned unit for reasons other than service problems, and the dealer may not know the computer phoned home. OTOH, if the computer has been serviced, somebody ought to be speaking up. It's bad mojo if a dealer tries to sell a unit that has been sold and serviced by others, as new.... if it isn't factory sealed; call to confirm before buying!

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 10, 2007 05:03PM
>>I never said I was mad. Please don't guess at my emotions.

apologies. didn't intend to.
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 10, 2007 05:18PM
BigGuynRusty
GGD
> Fry's strikes again!

There has been private discussions between forum folk.
Blu knows where JP! purchased the G5.
JP!, did you keep the box with the FRY'S repack sticker?

BGnR

Thanks for the clarification, but now I'm even more confused, since this was about a Mac Mini, and now it somehow turned into a G5.

First rule of Fry's shopping is "Never buy an open box", I've been shopping there for over 20 years.
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 10, 2007 05:38PM
Fry's is vermin.
Posted by: Panopticon
Date: July 10, 2007 06:09PM
...some retailers sell their demo/open box units "as new", with the implication that the "sale" to you is the first "sale" so that you should be getting a full year of warranty as part of the purchase... - Buzz

And many, if not most, states have consumer protection laws that not only prohibit that practice, but provide severe penalties and offer other remedies for the consumer. Some states will even allow triple damage awards on economic loss in addition to any punitive damages.

Posted by: space-time
Date: July 10, 2007 06:09PM
I think this is between Apple and their "Authorized Apple Reseller", not between the customer and Apple.

So, I think Apple should honor the warranty and the Leader should visit the store in person smiling smiley
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: July 10, 2007 07:05PM
> First rule of Fry's shopping is "Never buy an open box", I've been shopping there for over 20 years

I'd qualify that with... "unless you're really sure of what you're getting and willing to take the risk."

I've gotten some sweet open box items from Fry's. Some is still in use a decade after I bought it.
Date: July 10, 2007 07:11PM
The sticker says "This product carries the same mfr's warranty as new" .

I'll take it back to Fry's and see what they say.

It is a Mac Mini. I bought a 'refreshed' iMac G5 from the Apple Store, too. Plus a DIFFERENT Mac Mini from Fry's as well. Too many to keep straight! smiling smiley
Posted by: DavidS
Date: July 10, 2007 07:20PM
Jp!
The sticker says "This product carries the same mfr's warranty as new" .

I'll take it back to Fry's and see what they say.

It is a Mac Mini. I bought a 'refreshed' iMac G5 from the Apple Store, too. Plus a DIFFERENT Mac Mini from Fry's as well. Too many to keep straight! smiling smiley

Well, if they advertised it that way and you have the documentation, then you definately have a stong case. You'll obviously take printouts of the email from Apple stating that it was previously serviced and they won't help you.

I'd hope that Fry's will either let you return it for full refund of your purchase price (good luck), contact Apple and ask them to change the sale date (doubtful), or allow you to exchange it for a similar model Mac Mini. I guess it all depends on the manager you speak with.

If you are able, pull the HD and back it up (unless that is the root of the problem) and get the stuck CD out that you referred to. They may want to take it off your hands right then and there.

Good luck and let us know how it works out!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2007 07:20PM by DavidS.
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: July 10, 2007 07:42PM
Yes, do try to get your data out first as when I was working there no one in the service department had ever opened a Mac. They would always call me up to do it. They couldn't believe me when they had to get a putty knife to upgrade some ram on a Mini I sold.
Date: July 10, 2007 10:32PM
Well, it's not the HD.. it does not power up at all. But, it's not the BRICK.

I really don't care about the data, really. It was just my kids' play computer mostly. And the Mac accounts are password protected.

I'll see what I can do.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: July 11, 2007 07:22AM
hope it works out. I bought a demo from CompUSA, a dual 2.5 G5 tower that was over a year old. No issues from Apple, in fact I was able to get 10.4 for free from Apple since mine had 10.3.6 or something like that.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: July 11, 2007 11:30AM
Call this guy. But use extra change, he's now on the other side:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2007 11:35AM by SteveO.
Date: July 11, 2007 11:37AM
Fry's took it in at least. We'll see what excuse they use not to service/replace it. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 96
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020