advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
CD-R burned twice?
Posted by: MacMission
Date: July 10, 2007 10:04PM
I was copying a friends photos from his CD-R disc onto my desktop. When I went to burn my own CD-R I forgot to eject his from my optical drive. Toast overwrote my friends CD-R with the new data. I didn't even know that was possible! He said something about the disc not being finalized from his PC. Is this possible? (I double checked to ensure it was a CD-R and not a CD-RW)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: CD-R burned twice?
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: July 10, 2007 10:19PM
If it wasn't finalized, that could certainly happen. Depending on how it was burnt originally, you could end up with access to multiple readable sessions or only to the data from the last session.

It's kind of silly to burn sessions these days, excepting where it's necessary for multimedia works combining audio and video or for discs with executables that need to be compatible with multiple OSes. CD-R's are dirt cheap. 'Might as well finalize your discs and burn on a new disc every time. It helps avoid accidents.

Are you interested in seeing whether the original data is accessible? What version of Toast? Does Toast identify the type of file system on each session/track when you get info on the disc? If so then what does it say?
Date: July 10, 2007 10:27PM
MacMagus
Are you interested in seeing whether the original data is accessible? What version of Toast? Does Toast identify the type of file system on each session/track when you get info on the disc? If so then what does it say?

I was using Toast 6.0/Panther. Unfortunately I don't have the disc anymore to recheck the data. But after burning only one icon appeared on the desktop. Wouldn't multiple icons appear on the desktop if session were involved?
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: July 10, 2007 10:56PM
Certain formats can cause further writes to hide previous sessions, rather than creating accessibly appended ones. To obtain discrete sessions, burn with the Mac/PC hybrid setting. This is actually pretty useful; it let's you use the full capacity of the disc, minimizing waste.

Le po├Ęte doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: July 10, 2007 10:57PM
> Wouldn't multiple icons appear on the desktop if session were involved?

Not necessarily. Especially not if it was originally burnt using Windows packet-writing software.
Date: July 10, 2007 11:05PM
Well, I've been put on notice now. I'll just have to be more careful and never assume again that a client's CD-R can't be overwritten.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 130
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020