advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
speaking of airplanes, I never knew the Soviet Space Shuttle ever even FLEW.
Posted by: Jp!
Date: July 16, 2007 07:55AM
[en.wikipedia.org]

I only recall SCALE MODELs being flown, not working (albeit UNMANNED) full-scale unit.

You gotta wonder where they got such an IDEA like a reusable space vehicle????

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: speaking of airplanes, I never knew the Soviet Space Shuttle ever even FLEW.
Posted by: Mac-A-Matic
Date: July 16, 2007 08:02AM
Looks like some spies stole Rockwell's plans for the shuttle.

What were we gonna do about it? Nuke 'em?

Judging by the history, they were the lucky ones. They actually have a viable space program. We have a very expensive delivery truck.
Re: speaking of airplanes, I never knew the Soviet Space Shuttle ever even FLEW.
Date: July 16, 2007 08:21AM
I'll take NASA any day. And USA over former CCCP. smiling smiley
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 16, 2007 09:21AM
As the story goes, they thought we really had something up our sleeve with the space shuttle and they couldn't figure out what. Why? because the design seemed so backwards!

Look who is doing most of the servicing for the international space station.

Posted by: Seacrest
Date: July 16, 2007 10:51AM
In Soviet Russia....
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: July 16, 2007 10:53AM
...Space Shuttle fly YOU!

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: July 16, 2007 11:46AM
I thought that Hugo Drax stole the plans...
Date: July 16, 2007 11:52AM
he looks like he could be Peter Dinklage's dad...

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: July 16, 2007 12:11PM
It's too bad that Buran is now in a park in Moscow, covered in pigeon poop...

Its boosters (tank and detachable rockets) in some ways were more advanced than the US STS system.
Buran itself was never fully "man rated"... They stretched their budget to the breaking point and skimped too much on the orbiter. Hunce the unmanned only flight.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: July 16, 2007 12:40PM
Looking at the pics of the snow-laden roof collapse on the thing, it crushed like a cheap tin can. I'd like to think the STS is more Volvo than Yugo.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: July 16, 2007 01:01PM
Paul F.
It's too bad that Buran is now in a park in Moscow, covered in pigeon poop...

Its boosters (tank and detachable rockets) in some ways were more advanced than the US STS system.
Buran itself was never fully "man rated"... They stretched their budget to the breaking point and skimped too much on the orbiter. Hunce the unmanned only flight.

Yep. Energia was a hell of a booster. Shame they never did much with them.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: July 16, 2007 01:09PM
Jp!;

That much snow would have crushed the shuttle too... The Shuttle is a very expensive tin can.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: July 16, 2007 02:35PM

That much snow would have crushed the shuttle too... The Shuttle is a very expensive tin can.

So that's why they launch them from Florida!
Date: July 16, 2007 03:17PM
Used to be they liked bragging about getting it up in the den of retirees.
liquid fuel vs. solid fuel
Posted by: enrico7300
Date: July 16, 2007 09:53PM
They were more advanced in that they used liquid fuel, which is more easily controlled and shut off in case of emergency, unlike our solid rocket fuel. Well that's what I hear.
Posted by: Mike V
Date: July 16, 2007 11:08PM
I've seen this docco that says that the Space Shuttle was only made to look like an aircraft for crazy funding reasons.

It said that everyone who designed it though it was a really, really stupid idea because it broke the fundamental rule that the paylod should be on the top of the rocket to avoid debris falling and hitting the payload in flight.

Years ago the Russian Space Shuttle thing toured down here. They advertised that the one on display had actually been in space.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2007 11:09PM by Mike V.
Date: July 17, 2007 05:23AM
"down here"?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 147
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020