advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Value of first Dual 2.0 PowerMac ... ?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 21, 2007 05:24PM
Considering selling it. This was the original top 'o the line model: [www.everymac.com]

I've added more RAM and HD but would part that stuff out. Everymac.com shows $1500-$1700 but that seems way high. $1000?

Looking to replace it with something at least as fast with an Intel CPU.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Value of first Dual 2.0 PowerMac ... ?
Posted by: john dough
Date: July 21, 2007 05:39PM
FWIW, I sold my 1st gen 2.0 DP (out of warranty) with 8GB RAM and a 72GB Raptor for $1700 through Craigslist, and sold it fast. I would put it up on Craigslist where you live and see if you get any buyers. The purchaser was a videographer who needed a system that he needed for a project and it saved him time to have a loaded G5. If you have active Apple Care (make this a HUGE selling point), I don't think you will have a problem selling for about that price.

I then bought a MacPro through Amazon for $2300 (after rebate) and sold a PC to a relative for $500, so for me I sold 2 machines and paid $100 for a Mac Pro.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2007 05:41PM by john dough.
Posted by: incognegro
Date: July 21, 2007 09:31PM
$1000 sounds about right.

thing is, an out-of-warranty repair on a G5 is cost-prohibitive, and i've seen enough failures of power supplies, logic boards, and processors that i'm wary of any G5. maybe it's unwarranted, but i think i'm going to hold out for an Intel Mac, either Pro tower or 20" iMac.

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: July 21, 2007 10:52PM
incognegro
$1000 sounds about right.

thing is, an out-of-warranty repair on a G5 is cost-prohibitive, and i've seen enough failures
of power supplies, logic boards, and processors that i'm wary of any G5. maybe it's
unwarranted, but i think i'm going to hold out for an Intel Mac, either Pro tower or 20" iMac.

Me and you both. I keep adding up the price of a G5 and a new display and it's putting it
right in the range of a new iMac with a warranty. I've actually been thinking about a Mini
and a new 22" display, about $850-900 for both.

Grateful11
Posted by: mikebw
Date: July 24, 2007 01:27AM
The G5's have turned into an unfortunate circumstance, being limited to the stock processor and with few options for swapping parts with other machines for out-of-warranty repairs. I just hope mine holds out for a few more years with no hardware problems (knock on wood). It's easy enough to replace RAM, optical and hard drives, but if the logic board goes out you're kinda stuck. eBay might be able to save you but it won't be cheap.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020