advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
pulled the trigger, harmony 880 on the way
Posted by: davemchine
Date: July 21, 2007 07:35PM
I have five remote controls making a mess in my living room and I'm not going to take it any more! Jumped online and bought the harmony 880 based on a previous thread here, [forums.macresource.com] . I saw that there was a new model out, the 890, but the amazon comments said it didn't work with osx and it was $200! I got the 880 for $140 which was still appalling.

Dave

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: pulled the trigger, harmony 880 on the way
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: July 21, 2007 07:51PM
> I got the 880 for $140 which was still appalling.

I paid $15 dollars for this.

Best remote ever.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: July 21, 2007 08:02PM
They had the 880's on Woot last night for $79.99 + $5 S&H...

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: davemchine
Date: July 21, 2007 08:04PM
You people aren't making me feel any better... :-)

Dave

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: olnacl
Date: July 21, 2007 08:18PM
I have a couple of them and still have five or seven original remotes sitting on the hassock. Every now and then I make a special effort to use the 880 for everything but then discover i need to do something it can't do (or that I haven't bothered to program it to do). Then I reprogram it and find something else missing. Next time save the money and put up with it. I also have 10 varieties of McMagnus' suggestion - none filled the bill.

Posted by: TheTominator
Date: July 21, 2007 08:45PM
I have five remotes next to my recliner chair. To simplify my life, I have them all duct taped together into one monster remote. On the upside, it is hard to misplace, but it does make it difficult to change the various batteries.
Posted by: Microman
Date: July 21, 2007 09:30PM
Had the 880, Then got the 720 Harmony from Costco.

My TV does not have discreet codes to get to each functio directly. You need to cycle thru all 9. Problem is that the tuner takes a lot longer to pass by. Thus the timing that you need to setup for the Harmony requires it to take a while to get to where you want to go.

Would love to try the $15 remote. What model is it, and where can I get it?
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: July 21, 2007 09:32PM
Darn--Woot said back on Monday when they had the stupid T-Shirt up after the Woot-Off, so I didn't check..thanks--I will look tonight.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: July 21, 2007 09:46PM
Like MacMagus, I have an All In One learning remote. It replaced 5 remotes and works like a charm. $15.
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: July 21, 2007 11:26PM
> I also have 10 varieties of McMagnus' suggestion - none filled the bill.

Take some time to familiarize yourself with the manual and call the company if you find that there's a device-code not programmed into it. They'll update the codes over the phone. 'Takes 5 minutes. 'Hardly ever a reason to use the IR learning function if you're smart about it.
Posted by: shadow
Date: July 22, 2007 08:08AM
Love my 880.

Take the time to get it configured correctly. Call Logitech if there is a code problem. Once it is done, you will never have to look at your original remotes.

The best part is that since Logitech stores the config, if you happen to get a new one (or your old one breaks), it only takes a few seconds to download and update the new remote
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: July 22, 2007 08:37AM
Wouldn't it be great if the iPhone could handle all our remote control needs, thus eliminating more junk around the house?

Heh! I managed to get "iPhone" in yet another MR thread!

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Stavs
Date: July 22, 2007 08:27PM
I have an 880 as well. As was said, if you take the time and program it right it be the only remote you ever need. The Harmonys are fantastic remotes for the money, especially with the support you get. Sure there are cheaper, but they dont do EVERYTHING the Harmony does.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 111
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020