advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: My House was ALMOST on FIRE ! !!! (Whew)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 01, 2007 12:12AM
Wow ! What a birthday !
First I had to work late.. until 930.
Got home, relaxing, hung out with the kids.
Then we're sitting in the kitchen and my 9 year old says "Something smells like its' burning".

Crap. I have no sense of smell (lost in an accident 6+ years ago). So I get the teenagers and my lovely wife looking. And my 16 year old son says "The dishwasher is acting weird". Looked at it- the little lights on the front are blinking, and it looks like SMOKE (not steam) is coming from the front vent.

Pulled the plug for it, got the tools, opened up the front door. And gasped ! The PCB was smoldering, and had burned a big hole in the (probably toxic) plastic front panel. I mean, the last time I saw a PCB this bad was my old Mac Plus analog board with the famous 'China Syndrome Capacitors".

I'm lucky my kids can smell, and we figured it out. Or my birthday would have ended with our house and everything going up in flames.

Crappy cell phone picture of the PC Board
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: My House was ALMOST on FIRE ! !!! (Whew)
Posted by: LyleH
Date: August 01, 2007 12:31AM
I think there is currently some kind of a recall on dishwashers - not sure what make or models. I believe the recall is because they are catching on fire.........

LyleH
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 01, 2007 12:34AM
Document EVERYTHING.
Be a slightly squeeky wheel... see what kinda grease comes your way.

That almost sucked in a really big way.
Glad it didn't!!!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 01, 2007 12:40AM
So I guess you're getting a new dishwasher for your birthday?
Posted by: Big Daddy Cool
Date: August 01, 2007 01:18AM
I'm just sayin'

Shoulda kept a close watch on it and just let it burn up your kitchen. Then put it out.

Free remodeling of your kitchen by Whirlpool or whoever.

*This is a joke, I wouldn't expect someone to commit fraud.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 01, 2007 05:58AM
Big Daddy Cool
I'm just sayin'

Shoulda kept a close watch on it and just let it burn up your kitchen. Then put it out.

Free remodeling of your kitchen by Whirlpool or whoever.

*This is a joke, I wouldn't expect someone to commit fraud.

It would be a fraud if he set up the dishwasher to catch fire on purpose. But if the dishwasher bursted into flames by itself, then letting it do some more damage before putting the fire out I would call "opportunity". Sure, I think it would be very risky, and morally wrong, nevertheless, but I don't think it would be illegal/fraud.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 01, 2007 05:59AM
happy birthday! yes, it's one day later, but that's all I got smiling smiley
Posted by: TLB
Date: August 01, 2007 08:21AM
LyleH
I think there is currently some kind of a recall on dishwashers - not sure what make or models. I believe the recall is because they are catching on fire.........

LyleH

There is a recall on GE dishwashers for a fire hazard. It involves a defective Jet-Dry dispenser that lets liquids infiltrate and cause a short/fire. I don't know if it involves other makes. I think they are giving a substantial rebate on the purchase of a new machine in lieu of a recall repair. In your case I would think a new dishwasher is in order if t is on the recall list.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: August 01, 2007 09:04AM
Also some Maytag models - I had mine replaced due to the recall
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: August 01, 2007 10:40AM
Interesting. Just got a mailed notice from ASKO saying they'd replace my dishwasher for $150 because of a potential electrical problem.

Mac mini (M1 2020, 16G) Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 01, 2007 10:44AM
Thanks guys- it's a Frigidaire, but they're all pretty much the same crap these days. And I'd be willing to bet it's caused by 'dryer vent' which passes through the plastic face panel without any kind of gasketing whatsoever. They put a plastic 'box' around the PCB, but any EE can tell you all that does is collect moisture around sensetive components. If you want it to stay dry, you've got to either pot it (embed it in RTV or some other sealant gunk) or design it so any moisture is vented / drained out. The box is designed so that it actually traps moisture unless the dishwasher is installed incorrectly (at a slant).

Yes, I'm calling these guys now. Wish me luck !

For now, the official dishwasher(s) are the kids. Welcome to my childhood ! (We didn't have an electric dishwasher until I was a teenager)
Posted by: Michael
Date: August 01, 2007 10:44AM
At least GE, Maytag and Asko have had recalls for fires:

[fficial&client=firefox-a" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.google.com]
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: August 01, 2007 03:10PM
cbelt3
Welcome to my childhood ! (We didn't have an electric dishwasher until I was a teenager)

Wow, you must be a youngun'! smiling smiley I didn't have a dishwasher until kidlet was a couple of years old.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020