advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Toolboxes
Posted by: kap
Date: August 06, 2007 02:18AM
How many do you own? What are the brand names of those toolboxes? In addition to my own tools I also have inherited many from friends and relatives, who moved and did not want to lug heavy tools with them. I have tried to be more organized about it but still, I ended up with medium sized boxes!

SoCal for now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Toolboxes
Posted by: illustratton
Date: August 06, 2007 08:44AM
1- 3 drawer

1-roll-a-round - 10 drawer

Craftsman

Wish I had a 46" roll-a-round (Maybe someday)
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: August 06, 2007 08:47AM
I'm not sure exactly how many I own but I have a variety of sizes assigned for different uses

My mechanic tools reside in two Craftsman boxed - a "rally box" that has general mechanics tools-
socket sets 1/4" & 3/8" drive - standard and deep well -all the various ratchets and extensions
screwdrivers, various pliers, wrench sets etc ....

I have a second box that has the bigger stuff like 1/2" drive sockets and torque wrenches.
chain wrenches, hack saw, ball peen hammers and other stuff that gets used less often.

Then there is a dedicated plumbing box - a big 24" or so heavy plastic box with
a couple of lift out trays - all the various wrenches (pipe , basin, seat, etc ...)
and it also has all the pipe dope, teflon tape, and assorted fittings and plugs and caps

When I'm doing carpentry projects I have a big open tray type that carries hammers , pry bars,chisels,
and just about everything else and I can add stuff from other storage
(hanging in the shop etc ...) and toss it in the tray

My favorite is an Irwin soft style "electricians tote) [www.irwin.com]
I use it as a general use bag - I like it because it has all the pockets around the edges
so I can see where the tool I wan is. It has screwdrivers, various pliers, a small socket set
and I can throw a cordless drillmotor and bits in the big center compartment
It's easy to grab and take with me - I'm thinking about getteing on of the bigger styles now : -)

All the rest of the tools (power tools etc ) are in th shop and If I'm doing a big job
I use a series of milk crates and big heavy plastic tubs (clear) that I can load
with whatever else I will need.

I guess the key is to have duplicates of a lot of the basic stuff - buy full Craftsman
screwdriver & plier sets every few years - cheaper and I always have spares

Oh yeah - I have a tool drawer with all the basic stuff in the photo studio too
I have a craftsman roll around bottom box that I use for storing spare photo stuff
in the studio so I just have one of the drawers dedicated to actual tool!

Posted by: illustratton
Date: August 06, 2007 10:48AM
Oppps - I forgot my "Network" box that I keep my 'letronics stuff in. Cat 5 cable, crimpers, etc.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: August 06, 2007 11:00AM
1 Craftsman Plastic Toolbox About 18"x10"x10" - Contains screwdrivers, crimp tool and misc electrical stuff

Chiquita Box (cardboard) - Misc hammers, wrench sets, squares and plumbing tools

Unnamed cardboard box - Misc boat tools

Socket set has it's own place on the shelf, as well as miscellaneous power tools

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 06, 2007 12:14PM
Not to sound like a big shot or anything, but I have so many, I can't keep up with them all!

2 wooden roller chest type that I built at work while a journeyman carpenter at GM.

1 steel rolling cart type from work that was made by some welders in the steel shop. (hand me down, my pipefitter brother gave it to me).

1 HUGE steel rolling chest type, (locks recessed for security, holds all my power tools).

1 giant steel apprentice box.

2 open top wooden tote type that I made at work.

1 cheapo rolling mechanics type in the barn for all the repairs on vehicles & power equipment.

And, probably about a dozen smaller tote types, some that have accumulated, most with tools for specific tasks, plumbing, computer repair, etc.

Oh, and an old machinists toolbox that I got from a friend who bought a bunch of tools cheap from an estate sale. (It was loaded with a large number of drill bits, files, and other stuff I haven't had time to inventory. I also ended up with my friends other tools, as he had big plans for them but never used).

Don't get me started on all the tools I have collected over the years, I would need a good day to list them all.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 85
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020