Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Oh my, It just reached 105° outside.
Posted by: Craig
Date: August 09, 2007 04:18PM
NC piedmont.

All the plants are wilting even though I watered them 2 days ago. The AC is running wide open but the house is still warm. Yuck! I don't know how some of you deal with this all the time.

Craig
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Oh my, It just reached 105° outside.
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 09, 2007 04:26PM
Atlanta is also unbearably hot right now. It is stifling to even go outside. I hope that this heat breaks soon. My grass is looking really stressed and we can only water one day a week. I think my day is Saturday, but I need to double check that to make sure. Looks like I will need to set the sprinklers. sad smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 09, 2007 04:29PM
Bryant, AR; just outside of Little Rock:

Posted by: lost in space
Date: August 09, 2007 04:41PM
Woa. Going to Tulsa next week. Not looking forward to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2007 04:41PM by lost in space.
Posted by: DP
Date: August 09, 2007 04:45PM
Imagine living in these places before AC. Be thankful!
Hot Enough for Ya?
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 09, 2007 05:17PM
Arizona Diary

May 15th: Now this is a state that knows how to live! Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings. Mountains and deserts blended together. What a place! Watched the sunset from a park lying on a blanket. It was beautiful. I've finally found my home. I love it here.

June 14th: Really heating up. Got to 108 today. Not a problem. Live in an air-conditioned home, drive an air-conditioned car, work in an air-conditioned office.
What a pleasure to see the sun every day like this. I'm turning into a real sun worshipper.

June 30th: Had the backyard landscaped with western plants today. Lots of cactus and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing for me. Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

July 10th: The temperature hasn't been below 100 all week. How do people get used to this kind of heat? At least it's a dry heat. Getting used to it is taking longer than I expected.

July 15th: Fell asleep by the pool. Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body. Missed two days of work; what a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though: got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this.

July 25th: Dry heat, my butt. Hot is hot! The home air-conditioner is on the fritz and the A/C repairman charged $250 just to drive by and tell me he needed to order parts.

July 30th: Been sleeping outside by the pool for three nights now. $1,600 in damn house payments and we can't even go inside. Why did I ever come here?

August 4th: 115 degrees! Finally got the air-conditioner fixed today. It cost $1,200 and gets the temperature down to about 90. I hate this [expletive deleted] state.

August 8th: If another wise a** cracks, "Hot enough for you today?" I'm going to tear his [expletive deleted] throat out. Damn heat. By the time I get to work the radiator is boiling over, my clothes are soaking wet, and no deodorant works well enough!

August 10th: The weather report might as well be a damn recording: Hot and Sunny. It's been too hot to sleep for two damn months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. Doesn't it ever rain in this barren damn desert? $1,700 worth of cactus just dried up and blew into the [expletive deleted] pool. Even a cactus can't live in this heat.

August 14th: Welcome to Hell! Temperature got to 120 today. Forgot to crack the window and blew the [expletive deleted] windshield out of the BMW. The installer came to fix it and said, "Hot enough for you today?" My wife had to spend the $1,600 house payment to bail me out of jail.

August 30th: Worst day of the damn summer. I'm not leaving the house. The [expletive deleted] monsoon rains finally came and all they did is to make it muggier than hell. The BMW is now floating somewhere in Mexico with its new $500 windshield. nobody told me about staying out of the washes during a "flash flood" warning. That does it. We're moving back to California and buying a house next to the freeway for some peace and quiet.
Date: August 09, 2007 05:17PM
DP
Imagine living in these places before AC. Be thankful!

I don't have to imagine, just remember. I recall being in sweltering elementary schools in the deep south with no air conditioning and it wasn't fun. At least we weren't in school in July, and back then we didn't start as early in August as they do now, but it was still awfully hot and there were gnats. I remember lots of gnats. Thank goodness for the invention of air conditioning.

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 09, 2007 05:21PM
This pic might make you feel a little better off. It's my nephew Craig, getting back from a days work over in Iraq. Temp was 120 DEG and look at the gear he has to lug around! Just incredible.

[www.popularmechanics.com]

BTW, we got a reprieve today from our heat wave in MI. After days of 90+ heat and humidity, it's cloudy and 78 right now. Still in a major drought though. All the grass is burned up and no rain in the forcast. (I'm in northern MI, southern MI DID get some wet stuff today).

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Re: Hot Enough for Ya?
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 09, 2007 05:21PM
A more complete and balanced version:

[www.homebuilt.org]
Date: August 09, 2007 05:24PM
Rick-o,
My best friend grew up in Bagdad and now she lives here in the sweltering south, so I am sure she could relate to your nephew. Although, I doubt she ever had to wear quite so much gear when it was that hot.

Posted by: decocritter
Date: August 09, 2007 05:29PM
102 at my house in midtown Atlanta right now. Humidity 35 % It will still be in the mid 90's after midnight . No relief in sight - forcasting the same weather next week. I hope I can scrape together enought to pay my electric bill - It was $165 last month.

Lux - is that a true story?? Why were you in jail?

My AC won't cool the upstairs of my house below 80 degrees at night.

Air Quality is code red and my asthma is acting up. I haven't even been outside today.

Had to stop my cleaning to go to the hospital to visit a friend who was alone and freaking out.

I am trying to do some cleaning again today.
Posted by: hal
Date: August 09, 2007 06:31PM
4:30 and it's only 87°; here

this has been the mildest summer ever!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2007 06:58PM by hal.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: August 09, 2007 06:41PM
For all the cost, congestion and crap in general that you have to put up with to live in SoCal it sure is nice to be by the beach...

[weather.noaa.gov]

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: PeterB
Date: August 09, 2007 07:29PM

The bottom right number is humidity, the top right is temperature, and the top left is "Real Feel". grinning smiley

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 09, 2007 07:42PM
Welcome to Nawlins, PeterB!

Date: August 09, 2007 07:48PM
The real feel in Atlanta is 110.

I never thought I see the day when Atlanta was worse weather than New Orleans.
Posted by: Silencio
Date: August 09, 2007 08:11PM
Did it even break 70 here in San Francisco today?

This feels a LOT better than yesterday in New York City. About 30 degrees difference and a whole lot less humidity and flooding today.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: August 09, 2007 08:53PM
I was indoors at work all day, but the 2 times I ventured out, the air just felt thick. I've been seeing more patients with breathing/asthma problems just due to the hot weather.

Tomorrow should be another hot one.
Date: August 09, 2007 11:38PM
deco, if I remember right, there are reasons Atlanta, being a big inland city, will be hotter than NOLA, being a port city...

(Check out "Hotlanta")
[en.wikipedia.org]
[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2007 11:41PM by PeterB.
Date: August 09, 2007 11:48PM
PeterB - I am from Louisiana (Lafayette and the New Orleans/Madisonville areas)

South Louisiana is a humid swamp in the summer and bone chilling damp cold in winter.

I moved to Atlanta in 1988 and found it a tremendous improvement in weather.

Louisiana is also very moldy because it rains so much.

But I love the music, food and culture of Louisiana. How are you liking it?
Date: August 10, 2007 12:21AM
deco, I think you nailed it. I love the winters here, hate the summers.

I haven't experienced much of anything of the music, food, culture yet... just a little bit of the food maybe. The mold... that's a serious problem for me, but not in the way you might think (it's a problem for certain experiments I do).

Date: August 10, 2007 12:28AM
Peter - You need to do a study of the Perfect Po-Boy Sandwich.

Find the Best Muffalatta, Shrimp, Catfish, Italian Sausage, etc. Everywhere in N.O.

I really miss those good cheap sandwiches. The Bar food in N.O is great.
Posted by: chas_m
Date: August 10, 2007 12:49AM
Orlando hit 106 at about 3pm. Heat index made it more like 120.

I think people are finally starting to grasp Global Warming.

Meanwhile, in Victoria where I will be moving, it was a sweltering high of 68(F).

Any questions?

chas_m

[crawlingfromtheusa.blogspot.com] <-- Moving to Canada blog
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: August 10, 2007 07:42AM
I snapped this on Wednesday i think...

Posted by: billb
Date: August 10, 2007 08:07AM
The weather finally broke here in Ma from that same 95 degrees, 95 % humid.
It was cool enough to need a blanket.
Woke up at 5 and tried to go back to sleep, just because it's so nice for sleeping.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: August 10, 2007 08:18AM
YUCKUS!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 127
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020