advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is it stupid to buy a second hand, out of warranty G5 iMac?
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: August 10, 2007 11:13AM
I'm looking for a *cheap* one with VESA mount compatbility for my son. Considering all the problems the G5 iMacs had, am I stupid to be looking for one of these?

My music blog: [www.auditorymusings.net]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is it stupid to buy a second hand, out of warranty G5 iMac?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 10, 2007 11:32AM
depends on what you pay and if the upgrade was done to it. I still have a 'Road Apple' Powerbook 5300c that went through the recall. Admittedly the kids might use it once in a blue moon, but, it still works !
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: August 10, 2007 12:26PM
They seem to have fixed the problems with the ALS models. I've had my 20" 2.0G5 for nearly two years now with zero problems. I think it's only been powered down twice for any length of time, and that was for moving.
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 10, 2007 12:31PM
define "cheap"?

it was only the first batch of G5s that were bad...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: August 10, 2007 12:36PM
Yeah, I don't really know what cheap is for these machines. On craigslist here in Houston, looks like they are posted for around $700+, which is a lot more than I really wanted to pay, but I really think that if I wall mount it, it would work better for my kid.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: August 10, 2007 12:42PM
The G5 iMacs have been pretty reliable except for the 1st generation. Here's the G5 iMacs that are covered by Apple's Repair Extension program [www.apple.com]
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: August 10, 2007 02:13PM
Even my 1st Rev A G5 20" iMac has been rock solid after going through the Mobo / Power supply repair. It has been flawless in daily use for the past 18 months.
Posted by: incognegro
Date: August 10, 2007 02:54PM
the iMac G5 has an advantage over the Intel iMac in that the hard drive is much easier to replace. i think the iSight G5 iMac might have the hard to replace drive, too.

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 10, 2007 05:49PM
No problems whatsoever with my first gen. 20" G5 iMac. Although, it WAS an Apple Store refurb. If it had issues, the Apple techs fixed it before landing on my desk.

$700. + sounds just a tad expensive to me, but what do I know?

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: dk62
Date: August 11, 2007 03:43PM
Do not do it. I have had a horrendous experience with a RevB iMac and some later searching on the Web showed I was not the only one. Mine was in the serial range for power supply extended repair, but that did not help. Turns out the logic board was bad ($600 for repair), the computer was 18 months old - 6 months out of warranty. Lost way too much time with it, in the end sold it for parts. The worst part is that the symptoms got progressively worse over 6 months, and the first few times it seemed that a restart or some of the regular troubleshooting would fix it, until the screen started getting completely messed up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 115
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020