advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: Fixing a leaky sink faucet
Posted by: reezekeys
Date: February 02, 2006 09:47PM
Here I go again, yet another post from me asking for homeowner help (first on THIS forum, though)!

My bathroom sink faucets leak--from the spout, not the handle. I thought it would be a simple matter of a washer. I took them out, went to the local HD and found a whole lot of stems (?) that didn't match what I had. The guy helping me asked me what brand faucet I had and I couldn't tell him. There is no name on it (unless it's on the underside--I'd have to remove the sink to look for it though!).

I thought I would just try and pick up a variety of washers and hope for the best. However, these stems don't seem to have any! I'm assuming these are compression faucets, am I wrong?

Here are the pics: [userweb.suscom.net]

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: Fixing a leaky sink faucet
Posted by: Carm
Date: February 02, 2006 10:03PM
The faucet looks like mine. Delta/Peerless. Needs replacement seats and springs. Part number DL-17 (88050). Danco Perfect Match. [www.danco.com] HD sells them. Also replace the o rings. It works in ball and disc type faucets.

To replace you need to pull them out of the faucet. You dont need a whole part replacement. Just clean the bottem stainless steel disc, replace the o ring, and the seats n springs

Carm

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2006 10:15PM by Carm.
Date: February 02, 2006 10:18PM
Not compression at all. Disc type.

The black stain on the bottom, shows the rubber has deteriated and is no longer keeping the water from going into the faucet.

Let me get my camera and take a picture of the parts you need. I have extras for when the old ones go out (this house was built in 1992, I bought it in 2002)

Carm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2006 10:20PM by Carm.
Date: February 02, 2006 10:37PM

Here it is.
Date: February 02, 2006 10:47PM
Thanks Carm. I'm still a little confused. When I Google "fix a leaky faucet" I get information on cartridge, compression, seat & spring (washerless), and ceramic disc types. I see no springs & seats anywhere in my faucets, and the illustrations of the disc faucets show a single-handled faucet--nothing like mine. Where do those springs go?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 02, 2006 10:53PM
I don't think that set Carm has linked to a picture of is the right one. The initial pictures you posted reezekeys do look like the cartridge type used in some Delta/Delex faucets, but I have never seen a kit like that in Carm's post for repairs.
Date: February 02, 2006 11:01PM
reezekeys, the seats and springs are in the faucet, underneath the part you pulled out. Its probably camoflauged (spelling?) Youll need some needle nose pliers or a screw driver to pull them out

Carm
Date: February 02, 2006 11:08PM
Carm, I looked into the faucet body and can see the seats. No springs. Maybe they fell out & went down the drain when I pulled the cartridge out! Or, are they *underneath* the seats? It's kinda hard to see in there, it's full of water.

I'm calling it a night and will resume this project tomorrow. Thanks very much for your help--and Joe too!
Date: February 02, 2006 11:13PM

I was going to post this before you answered. But you found the seats.

Blow the water out and youll need to pull the seats out. The springs are underneath. If there is no spring, they are a different kind of seal. There is another type that is a flat ring seat.
But more then likely it is like the one I posted. Because of the marks on the bottom of the first picture I posted.

EDIT: You only need one set of springs. Depends on what type the ones you currently have are.

Carm

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2006 11:23PM by Carm.
Date: February 02, 2006 11:27PM
Here is how the spring is inside the faucet.
The spring size depends on what is already in the faucet.

Can you tell, Im really bored. grinning smiley

EDIT: I chose to clean the parts when I repair my leaky faucets because HD or Lowes does not carry whole part.

Carm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2006 11:31PM by Carm.
Date: February 02, 2006 11:30PM
Carm, thanks a ton! I'm getting on it first thing in the morning!

Now I'm REALLY off to bed!
Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 03, 2006 08:23AM
I had this same problem with our Delta kitchen faucet the last couple of months. After several tries replacing these parts with Delta, and the hot water coming back to leak and p@#$%& me off again, climb under the sink, blah, blah, blah. ....

The other day I updated to a Moen faucet. Although I hate plastic stems, the one thing about Moen, as a company, is they back there stuff. Delta just gets their parts from the junk shop or something.

Moen backs their faucet for 5 years, call about a leak and they send a whole new stem. I actually did this with an even older faucet that my folks had. 15 years. They sent me 2 spouts cause the 1st one was the wrong thing, based on my bad info. No charge.

Delta makes trash. I'll stay with Moen for US manufacturers and Grohe if I want to jump in the deep end.

The great thing was, my local plumbing supply place, where I bought the Delta 2 years ago, gave me full credit for the Delta and sold me the Moen at an internet competitive price.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: dmann
Date: February 03, 2006 08:50AM
Interesting- I am also having a faucet problem and my faucet is a Delta.

It isn't really leaking, but it won't always shut off. It is a single handle kitchen faucet and I need to make sure it is positioned JUST so or else the water keeps running. I called Delta and they sent me springs and a new ball but that didn't solve the problem.

The other problem is that it is loose at the base and the whole thing swivels around. I can't get under there to see what needs to be tightened.

I am going to have to call a handyperson to come help me. Sigh.

DM
Date: February 03, 2006 11:20AM
STATUS REPORT MR SULU: I got the seats & springs out. Gonna bypass the HD route and go right to my local plumbing supply store.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 03, 2006 11:37AM
I have to clean mine any time I forget how much time has gone by since the last time I replaced the sediment filters in the basement.
If the bath or kitchen faucets starts dripping, it's time to replace the filters.
I don't notice a flow drop because mine has a bypass that seems to kick in awful soon.
Have to then do the washer hose screens and valves.
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: February 03, 2006 11:53AM
dmann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting- I am also having a faucet problem and
> my faucet is a Delta.
>
> It isn't really leaking, but it won't always shut
> off. It is a single handle kitchen faucet and I
> need to make sure it is positioned JUST so or else
> the water keeps running. I called Delta and they
> sent me springs and a new ball but that didn't
> solve the problem.
>
> The other problem is that it is loose at the base
> and the whole thing swivels around. I can't get
> under there to see what needs to be tightened.
>
> I am going to have to call a handyperson to come
> help me. Sigh.
>
> DM

I just replaces my parents Delta that did this. We battled with new springs & washers, and then the swiveling started.

There should be a "twp pronged support" that is between the counter top and the faucet base. this should have a bolt on it. if you have a deep well set of sockets you should be able to tighten it. I think it is about a 5/8" size.

Other wise the replacement faucet we got ( I think it was Moen) had a deep well tool in it for installing the new faucet support.

Steve

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 03, 2006 11:59AM
The digital age is tres cool.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: February 03, 2006 12:01PM
Thanks for the tip Steve but I have to tell you I have absolutely no idea what a "deep well set of sockets" might be. smiling smiley

Is this a certain type of wrench? I have very few tools here- assorted screwdrivers, a hammer, 1 cheap set of pliers and the like.

Is this something I can do from above the counter or does it need to be done underneath?

The faucet isn't even a year old and it wasn't cheap so I am not ready to give up on it this quickly.

DM
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: February 03, 2006 03:15PM
dmann, on a set of socket wrenches there is a handle thingy called the ratchet and then a whole bunch of sockets that fit on the ratchet. Most of them are about two inches long, and you fit the socket over the nut you are trying to tighten or loosen, pull on the ratchet, and off you go.

Deep well sockets are just what they sound like--they have very deep holes so you can reach the nut in small tight faraway places.
Date: February 03, 2006 04:43PM
Thanks for the translation Gutie! Of course I don't have socket wrenches and no one I know has socket wrenches so unless I go buy some I am back to the "call the handyman" plan. smiling smiley

DM
Date: February 03, 2006 07:26PM
dmann,

Sears has their "Companion" line of tools for the wekkend mechanic, you'd be surprised how cheap they are (and they're often on sale too). You might even be able to buy a rachet handle and the one deep well socket you need by themselves. I've also seen wrenches made exclusively for faucet removing/installing.

BTW, my faucets are now drip-free! For about $3 I bought the seats & springs, cleaned everything w/white distilled vinegar. Now I'm all set until the next household emergency!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 03, 2006 08:30PM
Gutie, I was going to offer a translation, but the imagery might have turned-- inappropriate.

Well done.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: February 03, 2006 08:31PM
Congrats reezekeys. Easy as PI grinning smiley

Carm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2006 08:38PM by Carm.
Date: February 03, 2006 08:36PM
A basin wrench is what you need to replace or tighten the bolt on the faucets.

[images.lowes.com]

Carm
Date: February 03, 2006 09:10PM
RAM- that has NEVER, EVER stopped you before.

Carm- How does one use one of those?

For the record, I am really not as clueless as I seem here. I managed to install my own hardwood floors, install hard drives and put together my kitchen cabinets. I just don't know anything about plumbing or faucets and there is a whole wide world of hand tools that is completely foreign to me.

Ok, I feel better now.

DM
Date: February 03, 2006 09:22PM
dmann, I make no assumptions on your abilities.

How to use. The head is on a pivot. It turns sideways and grabs onto the bottom of the faucet. Turn counter clockwise to unscrew or the opposite direction to tighten.

Easy really. Ask how to use it at the hardware store.
Here are some diagrams and instructions. Easy [www.polsteins.net]

EDIT: Did i mention, it was easy?

Carm

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2006 09:28PM by Carm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 77
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020