advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Confessions of a non-gamer - poll
Posted by: yeoman
Date: August 22, 2007 09:45PM
I'm a long time Mac'ite but never dabbled with games. Now a proud owner of a MBP it's time to find out what all the fuss is about - but what game to play first? Looking for a list of your fav games. Ta.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Confessions of a non-gamer - poll
Posted by: karsen
Date: August 22, 2007 09:56PM
Myth 2
Posted by: Mactel
Date: August 22, 2007 10:58PM
What kind of games do you like?

If you like word games I've always enjoyed X-Words Deluxe. It's a Scrabble type game with more variety since you can make your own boards and it comes with some fun ones. I even made my own board identical to the classic Scrabble board.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: August 23, 2007 12:09AM
mine sweeper

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
I’ve added some recipes and spiritual thoughts as well.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: chas_m
Date: August 23, 2007 12:15AM
I'm not really a "gamer," but I do enjoy a fun break every once in a while.

I like games like Bookworm, Pangea Arcade, Otto Matic and Quake 1. I don't go in for team playing, someone always becomes a bully about it.

chas_m

[crawlingfromtheusa.blogspot.com] <-- Moving to Canada blog
Posted by: Carm
Date: August 23, 2007 01:00AM
Welcome back yeoman, you were gone for two weeks and nobody noticed. grinning smiley
EDIT: Only games I like are the classics. Tetris, Centipede, Astroids, played Myst once.
Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2007 01:01AM by Carm.
Posted by: comphernation
Date: August 23, 2007 01:36AM
Myst got me interested, then FA-18 Hornet dragged me in further. Finally got into a "shooter" in Halo. (I'm not a role-player, and I'm usually not "current" gamewise.)
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 23, 2007 02:33AM
I have played the "Unreal Tournament 2004" demo quite a bit. Runs well on my G5. I also have enjoyed Blizzard's Warcraft series (not World of Warcraft however) and Bioware's Neverwinter Nights.

There are casual games and then there are GAMES that can become very involved and will take over your life as you know it if you let them.
Posted by: rz
Date: August 23, 2007 07:58AM
Even though I have Sims2, I've only run it once or twice. The only game I play on my Macs is Scenario Poker, a Texas Hold-em simulator. I even got my wife into playing it. It is free, although you can register it for $10. I'm not sure what the difference, if any, there is between the free and registered version. You are playing against nine other "opponents", basically the computer. You don't play against real people. Great way to waste a couple of hours.

Oh, and I also have the Texas Hold-em game for the iPod.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: August 23, 2007 08:29AM
Spaceward Ho!

[deltatao.com]

Age of Empires II
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 23, 2007 08:49AM
Enigmo by Pangea, and their Arcade suite should play well and look fantastic on the MBP.

I'd love to find a really good version of Tetris. One of the best I've seen (that doesn't use just 1/5 of the screen) was a very old version that was on my LC, System 7. The Russian music, somewhat crude graphics by today's standards, but overall a great look. I haven't found a version yet that does justice to todays displays and graphics.

I'd like to see Aspyr/Edios/Whomever do another Tomb Raider and give Lara back her huge tits. They jiggled when she ran or jumped. Now *that* was good graphics. I like a balance of action, puzzle solving, and really good graphics (and huge jiggling tas can't hurt) rather than the Doom FPS all shooting, all the time genre.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: blooz
Date: August 23, 2007 11:39AM
I'm still playing Marathon. Over and over. I don't ever seem to have the time to learn anything new.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: August 23, 2007 11:57AM
I play Free Cell once in a while.

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 23, 2007 03:26PM
Warcraft 2 is STILL my all time favorite.

I haven't played online in quite a few years, but I still manage to fire up WC2 a few times a week on one of my last remaining OS 9 machines.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: billb
Date: August 23, 2007 04:11PM
I play try to stay awake for the 10 PM news.
Start around 9PM.
I lose.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: August 23, 2007 05:52PM
I've been playing World in Conflict some. It's pretty fun. Somewhat simple for an RTS. Great graphics, but it will lag your MBP some if you put it up all the way on high detail.

The demo comes out tomorrow.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 23, 2007 11:51PM
Oh man, I used to be all about Age of Emires, and Caesar 3, not to mention Sim City 2000, Castles Siege & Conquest, many others all back in the day. Who says there are no games on the Mac? Even in the dark ages on the PowerMac 6100 I had more than enough games to keep me in trouble.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: August 24, 2007 06:33PM
If you've never been a gamer, why start? There are many, many far better ways to spend your time.
Posted by: yeoman
Date: August 25, 2007 06:58AM
ka jowct...because I'm trying to fill time while I wait for foot surgery to heal. That's why. Foot elevated, six weeks on crutches followed by 2 more weeks wearing a huge boot. There's only so much time I can spend on reading and learning and watching movies.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: August 25, 2007 10:44PM
yeoman
ka jowct...because I'm trying to fill time while I wait for foot surgery to heal. That's why. Foot elevated, six weeks on crutches followed by 2 more weeks wearing a huge boot. There's only so much time I can spend on reading and learning and watching movies.

What kind of foot surgery, if you don't mind my asking?

I have considered having my feet repaired, but the recovery time is quite daunting. I should have done it years ago when I had better insurance and a job that sometimes had some very slow periods. In my present line of work, I could not be on crutches for 6 weeks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 113
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020