advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best ways to migrate from Panther to Tiger?
Posted by: JEBB
Date: February 03, 2006 12:02PM
PowerBook G4

What are the best ways to migrate from Panther to Tiger? (I've got lots of data and applications.)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best ways to migrate from Panther to Tiger?
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: February 03, 2006 12:05PM
If you have an external drive or another Mac-Use Migration/Set up assistant.
Other wise repair your permissions and just upgrade or Archive and install might be the cleanest.
Posted by: davester
Date: February 03, 2006 12:47PM
From what I've heard the "archive and install" method is much better than the "upgrade" method. It puts a clean copy of the new system on your disk and saves the old system in an "old system" folder. That's what I did...worked like a charm.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: February 03, 2006 12:57PM
Ken: For your first suggestion do you mean that I should: 1. transfer everything to the external hard drive (doing a 'Restore' with Disk Utility, for instance), 2. Erase the computer's hard drive and 3. use Migration Assistant to move it all back.

I didn't know that there was an 'Archive and Install' with Tiger. That has served me well with Panther.

I'm not sure which, doing an upgrade or one of the two methods above, would leave me with the cleanest systsem.
Date: February 03, 2006 01:02PM
You could transfer or "clone" the whole drive to an external using CCC Carbon Copy Cloner(make bootable volume) and then use the migration assistant.
If your computer seems stable and eveything is fine--Use the easier Archive and install. Ot is an option when you get to an install screen.
AS always---Back up is suggested first in every case, and that is why the first method may be useful.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: February 03, 2006 01:15PM
1. Repair permissions.

2. Run Diskwarrior, if you have it.

3. Back up your HD to another HD

4. Install Tiger. Overwrite the disk (AKA "nuke and pave")

5. Tiger will ask if you have another disk to install data and apps from (this is "Migration Assistant," IRRC).

6. Let Tiger move stuff from backup HD.

7. No backup HD? Then do 1 & 2, and then do "Archive and Install."
Date: February 03, 2006 01:22PM
anonymouse1 said it perfectly---the external disk must be FireWire.
Or, if you machine supports it--you can use a second internal drive (of couse not your Powerbook)
Date: February 03, 2006 01:59PM
Is there any real technical reason for "nuke and pave"? It seems horrendously time consuming to me and I've never had a problem with "archive and install". Here are instructions on how to do it: [www.macworld.com]

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: February 03, 2006 02:12PM
When you do an "archive and install", what does that do actually? I'll have to go and read it at the Apple site. You say that makes a Clean Install of Tiger, does it maintain preferences and web page bookmarks (etc.) from one OS to the next?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2006 02:15PM by SKYLANE.
Date: February 03, 2006 02:51PM
SKYLANE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> does it maintain preferences and
> web page bookmarks (etc.) from one OS to the next?

Yes

Posted by: Pops
Date: February 03, 2006 03:41PM
Ken Sp. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> anonymouse1 said it perfectly

I concur smiling smiley
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: February 03, 2006 04:15PM
<blush>
Posted by: rexrzer
Date: February 03, 2006 05:29PM
Excellent post Mr. Mouse! No need to add a thing to it.

That's the way you do it.

What's the difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make some sense.
Date: February 03, 2006 07:43PM
Mr Mouse's method sounds to the sure way but are there any problems with the simpler 'Archive and Install' method?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 64
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020