advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
ministack dimension change?
Posted by: Sam3
Date: September 02, 2007 08:30PM
I have a ministack v1 that I'm finally getting around to installing a drive in. The drive is a Seagate 250 gig Barracuda. I can't seem to fit the drive in the case, the case curves a little too much and the corner of the drive presses against it and doesn't allow the rest of the drive to drop in place.

Do the newer versions of the enclosure have somewhat sharper, less rounded corners so that a drive like the Barracuda can fit in it?

Is there a list of drives that won't fit in the ministacks? It looks like I'll have to look for another drive to fit inside it.

Short of gouging the enclosure to see if I can make it fit, any ideas?

Just tried a 200 gig Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 drive, and it has exactly the same dimensions as the Barracuda. :::sigh::: Makes me think I may have a useless enclosure. I have to keep hope alive that I'll find a 1/16th inch shorter drive.

****Edit 2***

Somehow, just now I was able to squeeze it in. Don't ask me how, the case shifted a little while pushing it in and it worked. All is good. I hope! :-)

OK... I can't find any instructions on OWC's web site regarding the ministack. There is a black lead and white lead that come together to a blue leaded white dot. I'm assuming this is a thermal sensor, but I'm not sure where it goes.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2007 09:11PM by Sam3.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: ministack dimension change?
Posted by: cyclemax
Date: September 02, 2007 10:23PM
I believe that some earlier models of Seagate drives do not fit in the v1 ministack. OWC can confirm this. Those leads are indeed the thermal sensor. You should have a piece of yellow Kapton (high temperature) tape that came with the ministack allowing you to tape the bulb onto the metal surface of the drive.
Posted by: davec
Date: September 02, 2007 10:24PM
My son and I installed a Seagate 160GB drive into a ministack v1. It took a great deal of patience and some brute force, but it did go into the enclosure. Yes, that is a thermal sensor. As I recall it was to be placed (taped) to center of the "up side" of the drive (technically taped to the bottom of the drive- which is mounted facing up). Good Luck!

Dave

edit: cyclemax was the faster typist! While technically Seagate drives were not supposed to fit into the version 1 case there were a number of posts that indicated that, with some effort, it could be done.

...on the trailing edge of technology.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2007 10:27PM by davec.
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: September 02, 2007 11:52PM
Seagate has a slightly different casing vs all the other HD mfrs and this did create a fit issue in the original v1 miniStack. The V2 (and carried forward with V3) addressed this.

One option - that also works without issue - is to flip the drive. The drive (if memory serves) will mount upsides down without issue in the V1 enclosure. This doesn't in anyway affect the operation of the hard drive.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 100
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020