Date: September 05, 2007 01:34PM
We hardly knew ye...

[wheels.blogs.nytimes.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: GM Discontinues Saturn...
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: September 05, 2007 01:39PM
Interesting.
Just when they started making halfway decent looking vehicles.
Of course, not decent enough for me to consider buying...but at least I wouldn't be laughing at them as they passed me on the street.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: September 05, 2007 01:40PM
Killed years ago when GM decided not to spin it off.
Bland cars, gutless engines, bad build quality.

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: September 05, 2007 01:43PM
OK, I just read that "blog" and GM is not discontinuing the Saturn nameplate, just the "alternative" Saturn "culture" that I actually found kind of annoying.
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 05, 2007 01:58PM
Someone must've bought them. I see them all the time.
Posted by: ADent
Date: September 05, 2007 02:01PM
Why kill Oldsmobile and keep Saturn when you end up taking Saturn and turning it into Oldsmobile?
Posted by: karsen
Date: September 05, 2007 02:10PM
The title is very misleading. They aren't discontinuing anything. Just streamlining and rebranding with better vehicles.
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 05, 2007 02:18PM
karsen
The title is very misleading. They aren't discontinuing anything. Just streamlining and rebranding with better vehicles.

It would be like Apple killing iPods and replacing them with re-badged Zunes.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: September 05, 2007 02:39PM
vision63
karsen

It would be like Apple killing iPods and replacing them with re-badged Zunes.

Actually, the other way round.
Replacing Zunes with 'Pods.
Saturn was absolute junk.

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: SteveO
Date: September 05, 2007 02:59PM
>Just when they started making halfway decent looking vehicles.

You mean...Just when OPEL started making halfway decent looking vehicles.

Unfortunately, the only decent looking Saturns have not been designed here. But yeah, they should have just kept Olds and done the same thing (Opel-ized it). I think Saturn probably has a lot less brand equity than Olds does.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 05, 2007 03:08PM
. . .they are making room for the new model. . . . . .Uranus. . .

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: ADent
Date: September 06, 2007 05:05AM
SteveO
But yeah, they should have just kept Olds and done the same thing (Opel-ized it). I think Saturn probably has a lot less brand equity than Olds does.

Back in the day Oldsmobile was to be the most Euro of the brands (Aurora had trips to Europe for it customers for example) and it wouldn't have been a far leap to Opelize it.

Saturn had the SC/SL small cars way old, the Vue, and the midsize L cars - that was it. They threw them the Relay (hated GM mini vans) to hold them over after they killed the L cars (right after a big money but slightly wierd ad campaign for the L cars).

Olds had the Aurora and the Intrigue and some warmed over GM stuff (Alero, Bravada, the GM minivan, a version of the Malibu), history, large dealer base, and it turns out a death sentence.

Idiots.

Well the Opelization of Saturn is going OK. Aura got good reviews. Can't do much worse than the Ion with the Astra thing. Sky is fine. The big SUV/crossover (Outlook?) thing is well received too.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: September 08, 2007 01:30PM
Agreed, Adent. My dad had an Aurora the first year they came out with them. It was a hella sweet ride. There was some problem with it, and instead of fixing it, THEY GAVE HIM A BRAND NEW AURORA.

Buddy of mine still has one and loves it. Trivia: the Aurora was actually a gift from Cadillac. It was supposed to be in their line-up but Olds somehow snagged it. And Caddy got stuck with the what...the Caddy that zigs...whatever that was called, Catera I think. Which was also an Opel, ha.

In usual GM fashion, they bastardized it and made a Chevy version of it that so cheapened the $35k+ Caddy version that resale on those was practically nil. That may have been the Malibu, I can't recall for sure.

The Intrigue was also warmed-over GM product. Olds had nothing distinctive except the Aurora for the time that first body-style existed...then I think it became a warmed-over Bonneville IIRC.

Idiots is somehow appropriate. I agree, the new Saturns are looking decent but they're still overpriced for what you get and the depreciation hit. The smaller Saturn SUV comes to mind here. The sedan looks like the Opel version (but for the somewhat weird front end) ; I think the suspension is a cheaper, toned-down version of what the Euros get. Business as usual for the domestic offerings. Bah.

Read an interesting stat last week or week before: owners of American cars are more likely to default on their bank loans than foreign-car owners; and get this: Saturn owners are 7x more likely to default. Expect to see that make itself felt in loan rates down the road when the major financial players get wind of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2007 01:33PM by SteveO.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 286
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020