advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
An Aging Boomer's Experience with the iPod Nano and Touch
Posted by: Ammo
Date: September 25, 2007 10:10PM
I stopped by the local Apple store tonight to try out these new iPods. The Nano is pretty neat, but the screen seemed too small to watch video on for any length of time. The Touch's screen was a big improvement in this respect and it's implementation of Safari is very cool, but again, I thought the screen was too small for me to enjoy browsing the web for very long - the zooming in and out got kind of tiresome (it was also too slow, but that's another topic).

As I drove home, I realized that my age (mid-50's) was probably a significant factor in my user experience. The store was crowded, but nearly all of the customers were between 20 and 40 years old. I believe I am out of Apple's target demographic!

I guess there is nothing for me to do but wait for the 8 1/2" x 11" iPod Touch Seniors' edition.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: An Aging Boomer's Experience with the iPod Nano and Touch
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 25, 2007 10:42PM
I'm in my 50's and I thought the Nano was fantastic. Of course, I'm near-sighted, so that may make a difference.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: September 25, 2007 11:11PM
I am way old and I love them both!
Get your eyes checked, and/or wear your glasses!

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: WillyB
Date: September 25, 2007 11:45PM
I can squint.
Posted by: will2000
Date: September 26, 2007 12:30AM
My new bifocals are great!
Posted by: olnacl
Date: September 26, 2007 06:07AM
I don't even want to talk about it.

Posted by: Michael
Date: September 26, 2007 06:36AM
Old guy/gal thread--I'm in!
Posted by: what4
Date: September 26, 2007 06:55AM
Apple has a produced several features that were problems for us older types.

(1) The hidden on/off switch. It's a real problem to figure out how to turn some machines on and off. PCs I've looked at make this obvious.

(2) Occasional unexplained icons. When the "open CD drawer" symbol first came out, it just appeared on a key with no explanation. You had to read the manual to find out how to insert a CD!

(3) Using the iPod clickwheel to advance one item in the play list is tricky. There is no tangible feedback, only a faint click. It would help if you could just press a side button to do this unambiguously.

These are examples of Apple's minimalist design. As I get older (now 65), I find that I need more redundancy. And there are 70+ million others soon approaching this same age. I hope Apple has people on staff who are designing for them, and not just for the 20-somethings who dominate Apple ads.
Posted by: AAA
Date: September 26, 2007 07:45AM
Agreed. Much of Apple's 'looks good' design sucks in the usability department. I hate the iPod wheels/interface with a passion.

I could list about 5 pages of stuff I would redesign/add.
Posted by: papercup
Date: September 26, 2007 07:58AM
Posted by: JoeM
Date: September 26, 2007 08:39AM
I am older than dirt but even if I was 15yrs old, I wouldn't bother watching video on anything less than a 32" screen.

IMHO, Apples's UIs on some of this stuff are long on glitz but short on consistency in their operation.

JoeM
Posted by: billb
Date: September 26, 2007 08:45AM
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: September 26, 2007 08:48AM
BACK IN MY DAY, WE DIDN'T HAVE ANY OF THIS NEW FASHIONED "TECHNOLOGY"... AND WE ALWAYS TYPED EVERYTHING IN CAPITAL LETTERS, JUST LIKE A GOOD TELEGRAM...

Posted by: Ammo
Date: September 26, 2007 09:23AM
The intention of my original post wasn't to complain about Apple's products so much as to make a personal observation about them. Aside from the coolness factor, having a portable music/video/photo library or being able to browse the web away from home isn't a critical need for me.

I think the iPods and the iPhone are are wonderful devices, and as an Apple fan I think it's really great that they are so popular.
Posted by: AAA
Date: September 26, 2007 09:49AM
Then you are a good customer.
NEVER TRUST ANYONE OVER 60!!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 26, 2007 10:08AM
I wouldn't by a nano or Classinc to view video, but I'll be getting both, and viewing video isn't taxing for me.

While I don't need a walker or Depends, I'm in that ballpark. Or at least peeking through the fence. I only need redundant memory, not controls.

Apple's minimalist approach is much appreciated. Clean and elegant design. I agree that often (as in the 'Phone) the UI isn't consistant, and that *does* bug me.

NOW ALL YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: September 26, 2007 10:48AM
>I guess there is nothing for me to do but wait for the 8 1/2" x 11" iPod Touch Seniors' edition.

Nearly spilled my coffee laughing on that one!

Great thread. LMAO with the added visuals.

FWIW: Apple depends on its 20-40-year-old zealots I mean customers to be their training force. I'm pushing 40 and I am constantly (and mostly patiently, ha) training my parents on various Mac operations...and have been doing this for almost 10 years now. My mom is slipping a bit lately, I'm having to explain the same things again and again.

Contemplating a Pod for my mom's xmas gift.
Posted by: mrthuse
Date: September 26, 2007 11:43AM
Ditto the small screens (even though I too am nearsighted - and well over 50).

I suppose if I were younger (maybe much younger), I'd care more about being able to watch videos on the fly. Watching videos on a mini screen doesn't hold much interest for me; I'd probably find an internet connected pc if I really needed to watch something right away. And the big screen just makes things look better - resolution issues aside for the moment (imagine watching STAR WARS or SPARTACUS on a Nano).

I'm intrigued by the ability to carry around a music library or to store some data back and forth between home and work. I bought both of my kids an iPod about 3 years ago and they were thrilled, though I didn't understand how carrying music on a silver disc and putting it into a player was such a chore, considering that both their cars and their rooms had cd players in them. The portability issue and listening wherever and whenever seemed to be the main reasons for wanting/owning one. I'm also pretty sure the plugging in and walking around aids some folks in ignoring what's going on around them - easier to dismiss it all if you're not aware in the first place.

I'll get one some day I guess, but for now, I think I'd rather spend the $100+ on a great scotch.

Generational differences, I guess.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: September 26, 2007 12:35PM
mrthuse
...I'll get one some day I guess, but for now, I think I'd rather spend the $100+ on a great scotch....

Can't find fault with that logic ;)

OTOH, I really dig my 8GB iPod Nano's ability to function as a "boom-boom" box.

I've got 42 Sade songs in one playlist and 33 Luther Vandross songs in another just to name a few. Then just hit the remote on the gas fireplace and away we go...

JoeM
Posted by: Don C
Date: September 26, 2007 10:04PM
I wonder if that rotary dial would reach Maud who can connect me when she's done telling me all that going on in town.

Redundant memory? i'd like to have ANY memory these days!

Now, speak up lad, I can't hear you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 127
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020