Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
eBay Seller's Account question
Posted by: johnc
Date: September 26, 2007 06:10PM
I'd be grateful for any help with this.

I've been an eBay member since 2001 (buying only). I'm thinking of opening a Seller's Account. According to this ...

Since January (2007) it is mandatory that a seller joining Ebay must also accept paypal.

Does this include existing members (who joined eBay before January 2007) who haven't sold anything (i.e. haven't yet registered as sellers)?

Regardless of whether it's a good idea to accept PP to increase bids, I was going to try my first few (U.S. only) auctions without it .

As a sort-of aside, is this entire "PayPal is evil" thing a bit overblown? Or justified?

Any tips on how to minimize risk if PP is mandatory? For example, it seems like a good idea to have a separate bank account (to transfer PP funds into) , although I'm not entirely clear on one thing--if I authorize eBay to charge my credit card for final fees, can they (i.e. PP) still freeze the bank account? Or do they need my authorization to do so?

Again, thanks for any clarification provided.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: eBay Seller's Account question
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 26, 2007 06:28PM
It's overblown. With our feedback closing in on 4000 positives we've had one small
chargeback and have won 3 out of 3 disputes started by a buyer. Maybe we've been lucky
but I don't have any compaints other than their fees being a bit high.

Only accept payment with a Confirmed Address attached to the account. We have Paypal
attached to our normal checking account and it's never been a problem, it may blow up in
our face tomorrow but I don't see that happening.

Grateful11
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: September 26, 2007 06:36PM
We have a second checking account that is attached to the PayPal account and move funds from the auction account to our regular household account as necessary.

I have had a PayPal account since the first month they were in business, with litteraly thousands of transactions over the years and have never had a problem.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: September 26, 2007 06:51PM
I've never had a problem either for a nearly a decade. The 'horror' stories you may see are very rare, but are blown out of proportion as if that is the norm.

I also have my primary checking account, as well as a secondary...and multiple cards on file. Never had a problem, and am not worried about security.

I have been using the PayPal Security Key since Jan./Feb...before it really became available - so if you need some extra assurance, that will help. Most financial places and secure sites (espeically with monies) will be migrating to this type of security over the next few years.

Posted by: tuqqer
Date: September 26, 2007 07:01PM
I've never had any problem with my Paypal account. No moneys ever taken out, no problem with sellers, buyers, etc. But for safety, you can always just remove all earnings easily (except for say $100 or so) very easily. Takes all of 10 seconds to send money to your bank account, and that's free each time.

M1 2020 Mac mini (16G 2T) Ventura 13.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs M1 2020 13" MBAir (256G 8G)
Posted by: TL
Date: September 26, 2007 07:19PM
johnc
Since January (2007) it is mandatory that a seller joining Ebay must also accept paypal.

That's not precisely correct. Accounts opened on or after Jan. 17, 2007 must accept either PP or a CC merchant account. This requirement is waived when selling in certain categories such as Motors.

As for protecting yourself, following the SPP is a pretty good idea for most transactions. For low-dollar, low-risk sales, you might wish to relax bend some of the SPP rules, but that's a call you need to make.

PP has the technical capability to pull funds from your bank account, but will not do so without your authorization. If your PP account should have a negative balance, PP normally will not let you make a payment (such as when buying something) without also authorizing them to piggyback the negative balance to your purchase total. They do this with full disclosure, and you have the option not to make the payment at all. The one area where this can trip people up concerns automatic payments (such as those set up for subscriptions or to pay ebay fees). If you have PP set to make auto payments, then when PP goes to make that payment on your behalf they can and will piggyback whatever negative amount is needed to get your account back to a positive balance.

When you deal with money, any problem can rightly get people extremely worked up. People do experience problems with their accounts, but in my experience these problems are often (though certainly not always) of their own making. Not obtaining proof of delivery, shipping to alternate addresses, etc are all things that sellers should be doing anyway, but especially when PayPal tells you to do so for your own protection. Other problems may occur when sellers suddenly ramp up sales, start selling high-risk merchandise, etc. In those situations, it makes perfect sense for PP to take a look at the seller. They'll typically ask for things like a recent utility bill (to prove you are where you say you are), and/or copies of receipts or invoices for goods you've sold.

That's not to say PP doesn't make what many of us might consider bonehead moves. When the Wii and PS3 were released last fall, PP started doing account reviews as soon as sellers sold one. This didn't hapen to everyone, but enough that it was a big deal. With no prior notice that this would happen, a lot of sellers were hurt financially as their access to funds was limited during the holiday season. Further, they often demanded proof of delivery and many buyers additionally had to confirm they were happy with the sale, before the funds were released.

So while the vast majority of PP transactions go perfectly fine, problems can and do occur on occasion. There are several steps you can take to reduce the odds of experiencing problems.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020