advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
clothes washer using the least amount of H20
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 12, 2007 03:53PM
I know there is a thread somewhere on this.... what was the consensus on a good machine and which magazine did it come from?

And, more importantly, is there testing done on which uses the fewest gallons? (water rates in Boston area are SKY-high)

thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: clothes washer using the least amount of H20
Posted by: decocritter
Date: October 12, 2007 05:29PM
probably fisher/paykel
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 12, 2007 05:55PM
In general, a front loader will use less, although some of the top loaders are pretty smart about limiting water these days, with more sophisticated sensors in case you don't pick the right water level to begin with.

The inherent advantage a front loader has is that clothes don't soak in lots of water, but rather tumble in and out of a lesser amount.

I'm sure there are differences in water usage between models of a given design, but at some point you need a certain amount of water to clean, so don't look for huge differences among units of similar capacity.

The other thing is, washers are at their most efficient when full, because there's less guesswork for either you or the machine to gauge the right level. So don't overbuy capacity.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 12, 2007 06:22PM
Does it really matter? My water bill is under $10 a month. Gas bill is under $20 with only the water heater on that line. Figure showers use way more water than a few loads of wash. How much can you possibly save? Can't be more than $50 a year. At that rate it will take you 10 years to make up the cost diffrence between the primo front loaders and a normal washer.
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 12, 2007 06:28PM
Most front loaders use much less water than a top loading washer. I don't know if Consumer Reports gives actual amounts of water used but they'd probably be a good place to start.
Posted by: decocritter
Date: October 12, 2007 06:49PM
My gas bill is a minimum of $35.00 per month without using central heat. (hot water only) This month it was $40.00

Georgia's deregulation socked it to us. I use about $12 worth of gas, the rest is "piping fee and taxes" to Atlanta Gas Light.
Posted by: Blurb
Date: October 12, 2007 07:01PM
All of the front loaders use a significantly lower amount of water per load than any of the top loaders. However, the Bosch (platinum series, I believe) were rated by consumer reports (within the past year) to use the least amount of water.

Only reason I know is because I just did this research a few months ago when I replaced my washer and dryer with front loaders just to reduce electricity and water usage. And, C-ris, it does matter to most of us (and to our earth). Consider yourself lucky to have such a low water bill. My water bill went from about $92/month to about $69-72/month with the only change being the newer washer/dryer.

And, don't forget, we ARE facing a water shortage crisis on this earth. Any little thing we do, the better.
Posted by: raz
Date: October 12, 2007 07:21PM
Blurb
And, don't forget, we ARE facing a water shortage crisis on this earth. Any little thing we do, the better.

Now you've done it. This thread is going to be Moved

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: October 12, 2007 07:56PM
Front loaders also tend to use less detergent, since you are using less water. I've also noticed that the Samsung that we have does a better job of getting the clothes clean.
Posted by: Blurb
Date: October 12, 2007 07:58PM
Sorry, raz. Couldn't help myself. Please forgive me....
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 12, 2007 08:58PM
When I lived in Minneapolis not so long ago there was an article about people conserving so much water that the city had to add water to the sewage system in order to properly process it.

raz
Blurb

Now you've done it. This thread is going to be Moved

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: October 12, 2007 09:25PM
C(-)ris
Does it really matter?

yes.

please read the part of my post where I said: "water rates in Boston area are SKY-high"

I paid $265 for two months of water.

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: raz
Date: October 12, 2007 10:18PM
Blurb
Sorry, raz. Couldn't help myself. Please forgive me....

consider it done...

To get back on topic, we bought a Whirlpool front loader from Lowes.

It uses less water and we've also found that we use less electricity. The high speed spin dries the clothes so well that we run the dryer for less time.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: October 13, 2007 12:26AM
Back to the topic also....

We have a top loader Fisher/Paykel. At time of purchase 4 years ago it had absolutely the lowest energy use rating of all washers (other than washboard). We like it a lot. Way fewer moving parts than a standard toploader.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: ho'ard
Date: October 13, 2007 12:48AM
I have a Fisher/Paykel and like it a lot. The thread you recall actually had someone recommending against f/p without giving any reasoning.
My home water is unmetered, so the fee is basically a "tax"- about $550 a year (small 2-flat).
My 3-flat is metered, and the bills are about $70 every 2 months (was =much= more until I fixed all the toilet flappers).
You're getting walloped, mrbigstuff.
Posted by: billb
Date: October 13, 2007 08:16AM
He doesn't have a big water bill, it's actually a sewer bill, but they bill for that by the amount of water that comes in.

Many of the treatment plants on the East Coast were old and had to be refurbished by law.
Many city residents were shocked in the late eighties when thier water/sewer bills skyrocketd by four and five times to pay for sewer treatment and seperation of storm/sewer lines in streets.

Anyone connected to the sewer is paying for it.

If I was getting a $1,500.00 a year (and up) water/sewer bill I'd become water frugal real quick, too.
Date: October 13, 2007 03:10PM
billb is correct. we get billed for water use and sewer use, and our city has something like 2.5x the metered sewer use as water use. MWRA for those who know...

something is wrong but there's no funding to fix the "problem."

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 13, 2007 03:48PM
Does it really matter? My water bill..

It's not about you.

Shoot from the hip and you're likely to miss.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Dick Moore
Date: October 13, 2007 04:41PM
We just got a $300 "refurb" Kenmore Elite Calypso top-loader from a local appliance store to replace a 14-year old Amana top-loader that started wee-weeing on the floor.

I found the tags for the old Amana, and it had an estimated Federal energy cost rating of $894/year -- one of the worst for that model year. The much newer Kenmore uses a "plate" washing system and has an estimated energy cost of $216/year -- one of the best for it's model year. I'd say that's a big improvement in design somewhere, and that Kenmore gets clothes clean and spins at very high speed, so there's a big savings in drying time as well.

Being old folks, we didn't want a front-loader the size of the door to the next room sitting on a $200 sheet-metal stand in order to get the clothes in and out without breaking the backs. We like this new thang just fine, and boy does it hold a lot.

What it is, man, a low-down and funky feelin'
Posted by: billb
Date: October 15, 2007 05:59PM
I got a Maytag front loader and although the price was right I won't recommend it.
Frugal with water. Clothes no cleaner than the GE tub it replaced. Takes longer to do a load. Come out a bit dryer (but not by much), but never had to un-knot anything.
The time display already has a problem. Sometimes it's hard to tell if that says 68 minutes or 88 or 86. Mold on the door gasket. No glass on the front door.

My mom just got a Bosch. Thing is huge. I don't know why she got such a big washer and drtyer when it's just her. Glass on the door. I like watching the clothes go round for some reason. Helps determine what is too much soap by just looking in through the glass.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 181
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020