advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Xmas in Frisco
Posted by: kap
Date: October 26, 2007 11:15AM
We have been told that it's the best time to be in either NYC or SF to check out the beautiful holiday decorations and bath in the joyous spirit. We have been in Frisco a few times but never during the XMas season. Which time is best? The week before or after Thanksgiving? TiA

SoCal for now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Xmas in Frisco
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 26, 2007 11:32AM
Turkey day is early this year. Based on that I would say the week after.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: October 26, 2007 11:33AM
And no one there calls it "Frisco"

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: October 26, 2007 11:33AM
Frisco is a town in Colorado.
:-)

San Francisco natives hate it to be called "frisco"
Locally it is referred to as "the City"

San Francisco doesn't seem to go overboard for the holidays in my experience, but if you go the week of Thanksgiving, it is likely to be more crowded. I have not been to New York for the holidays--so I have no comparison.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2007 11:34AM by Ken Sp..
Posted by: kap
Date: October 26, 2007 11:35AM
Sorry 'bout that, MAVIC. I learned the nick during one of our visits there.

Ken, we would like to simply enjoy the holiday's spirit without the crowd. So we don't want to be there on neither Thanksgiving nor XMas day. I am wondering if the decorations will still be there the week after New Year.

SoCal for now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2007 11:44AM by kap.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: October 26, 2007 11:41AM
kap
We have been in Frisco
Call "San Francisco", "Frisco" while your there if you want the best service!!
Actually good way to get treated pretty harshly!!
The natives call "San Francisco", "The City", don't ask me why.

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 26, 2007 11:42AM
Though many oldsters, certain hipsters and black San Franciscans will call it Frisco.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2007 11:42AM by vision63.
Re: Xmas in San Francisco
Posted by: Robo
Date: October 26, 2007 11:45AM
It never seems very chirstmassy to me, and I like it that way. As mentioned, avoid the use of Frisco. I'm not sure why but it irks me and many others.
Date: October 26, 2007 11:45AM
BigGuynRusty
kap
We have been in Frisco
Call "San Francisco", "Frisco" while your there if you want the best service!!
Actually good way to get treated pretty harshly!!
The natives call "San Francisco", "The City", don't ask me why.

BGnR

Because it's the center. The big downtown. They call the city of South San Francisco, "South City."

Posted by: Seacrest
Date: October 26, 2007 11:58AM
East Bayers, Marinites, Silicon Valley types and anyone else outside The City calls it The City, just like Manhattan is The City to denizens of Queens or Yonkers.

San Franciscans live in The Mission, or Cole Valley, Fillmore or SOMA and never, ever refer to their town as "Frisco".
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: October 26, 2007 12:02PM
Baghdad by the Bay
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: October 26, 2007 12:03PM
Lux Interior
Baghdad by the Bay

Only in Hunter's Point, these days.

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 26, 2007 12:12PM
SF native here. "Frisco" was the bad section of town back in the gold rush days, known for more than its fair share of hookers & booze, IYKWIM. As "The City" evolved into a more civilized place, locals didn't take kindly to whole area being referred to as a red-light district; and I don't mean red light, green light as in traffic signals... Also, w/ the "civilized" evolution, San Franciscans thought of "The City" as truly more city-like than than anything close to it for miles, or even states away, hence the designation, with capital letters, "The City." For many years there was no conflict, due to the lack of real cities out west. There were plenty of towns and villages, and so forth, but no other refined cities to really be confused with... again, hence the capitalization, and emphasized pronunciation. Other growing wannabe cities weren't capitalized, or emphasized, so going to the city elsewhere, usually only meant going into the local town to pick up feed for the farm animals, whereas going to "The City" meant traveling to SF where things were more cultured and refined. And now it's an integral part of our culture.

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: October 26, 2007 12:19PM
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: October 26, 2007 12:34PM
Hmmm..., Frisco is now "Hip"
[www.sfgate.com]

And despite what the "Natives" say.:
""Frisco" is, of course, a contraction of San Francisco, but there are other theories about its origin. Some have suggested it is an Americanization of el fresco, a term apparently used by Mexican immigrants coming to Fog City to escape the heat of the Sierra Nevada.
The late etymologist Peter Tamony traced the word all the way back to the Middle English frithsoken, meaning refuge or sanctuary. Shortened to "frisco," the term was apparently used by sailors to refer to any port where ships could be repaired."
From the link above, and what I heard from my Spanish Grandfather.

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Date: October 26, 2007 12:38PM
Buzz is a native "Friscan." We do know that Herb Caen "carried on" the notion that it was disrespectful. I still miss him. Good one B.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2007 12:39PM by vision63.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 26, 2007 01:20PM
Herb coined "Baghdad by the Bay" back when Baghdad was mysterious, unique and glamorous, long before the politics of oil and ravages of war prevailed in the area. He likened The City as a destination, in part based on its uniqueness and glamour, that to find comparable, one would have to travel halfway around the world to find. BGnR's sailors also likely found sanctuary when they contributed to the "Frisco" hookers & booze industry... while they "repaired" their "ships"...

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: October 26, 2007 01:43PM
It is "The City" to those of us in the Valley.

We make an annual trek up to Union Square during the Xmas season to catch the festivities.

There's usually some musicians playing carols, & the kids like seeing the window displays at Macy's. We all miss FAO Schwartz since it closed a few years back. While their toy prices were high, we'd always find a unique impulse buy there.

Now of course we wander into the nearby Apple Store and resist the impulse buys there winking smiley

Regarding when to visit, we actually don't mind the Xmas crowds. Being suburbanites, we don't often see such foot traffic. We usually target a Sunday is early December. Visiting before Thanksgiving will be more subdued IMHO, both crowd wise & festivity wise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2007 01:48PM by bhaveshp.
Posted by: Joey Cupcakes
Date: October 26, 2007 01:57PM
Ken Sp.
San Francisco doesn't seem to go overboard for the holidays.

Apparently you have never been here for Halloween!

So overboard that it spills over into most of the rest of the year!
Posted by: Joey Cupcakes
Date: October 26, 2007 01:59PM
Lux Interior

Hayes St., right?
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: October 26, 2007 04:02PM
My understanding is that the "the City" is shortened from "the City that knows how." (would also never consider capitalizing "the")

According to this web site,

[sfpl.lib.ca.us]

it was President Taft that gave the City that name in 1911.

--from SF library web site-----
On February 15, 1911, President William Howard Taft signs a resolution designating San Francisco as the official World’s Fair City to celebrate the future opening of the Panama Canal. Eight months later, on October 14th, Taft comes to San Francisco to break the ceremonial ground. The next day he lunches at the Cliff House, and toasts San Francisco as “the City that knows how.”
----

Always seemed to me that it was Herb Caen who popularized the idea of "never call it Frisco." My friends and I didn't much care one way or the other. BTW, Herb Caen was great at what he did. Every time I sent him a piece for his column, he always responded with grace and gratitude. I assume he did that with every contributor.

In the '80s and '90s I was one of the craft vendors that sold on the sidewalks of San Francisco. Since my craft items were toys (devil sticks and diabolos) after Thanksgiving I would shift from setting up on Beach Street near Aquatic Park to near FAO Schwarz in the shopping district downtown. Very fond memories of those days.

Gump's on Post Street usually has very nice window displays.

The fountain on the steps of the Hyatt Hotel near Union Square is worth seeing, especially if you are familiar with the City. Images of San Francisco are cast in bronze around the outside of the fountain.

[www.artonfile.com]

Todd's nostalgic keyboard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 158
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020