advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any AppleTV deals out there?
Posted by: Chupa Chupa
Date: November 05, 2007 09:44AM
Local Costco has the 40GB for $272 after tax. Anyone seen any better deals for a new unit. (I'd love to buy a $229 refurb, but it's for a gift).

BTW what's up w/ AppleTV? I was in a local Apple store the other day and it pushed off in a corner like an unwanted step-child.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any AppleTV deals out there?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 05, 2007 10:49AM
Chupa,

Pushed off into a corner? No surprise. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the AppleTV is too limited in scope to justify the expense. Once Apple beefs up its features such as making it usable as a DVR, then it might be worth the money. 'course, it could've been shunted to the corner because of OS 10.5 broohaha(sp?) but I doubt it.

Robert

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2007 10:50AM by Robert M.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: November 05, 2007 10:51AM
Chupa Chupa
BTW what's up w/ AppleTV? I was in a local Apple store the other day and it pushed off in a corner like an unwanted step-child.
It is a failure.
Not because it isn't that good, mostly because the core audience that Apple is trying to sell to doesn't understand the box. Videos are way too expensive, 10 bucks for "Crocodile Dundee"?? I just saw the DVD in a bargain bin at Circuit City for $4.99! You get the physical media too.
Apple makes it hard for the usual Mac audience to take physical media and play it on the AppleTV, yes there is a way to do that, but we have been doing it for years, and the AppleTV wasn't a big enough "Step Up" top make most of us change.
The audience that is buying the unit are mostly hackers, and not that many because they already have PlayStations/MacMini's that they have hacked to do the same job, but better.
Three AppleTV improvements would make it more compelling for me to change over to AppleTV.:
1. Stream/Sync Video, instead of just Syncing Video.
2. Choice of Video formats without a hack.
3. Improve the Video output.
Also, please Apple make the Mini/AppleTV case big enough for real hard drives!!
Also, while your fixing things, fix QuickTime!!

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 05, 2007 11:12AM
BigGuynRusty
I just saw the DVD in a bargain bin at Circuit City for $4.99! You get the physical media too.
BGnR

So how would you use the Apple TV to play that DVD?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 05, 2007 11:19AM
Only indirectly. Ergo, Apple sells a box that's NOT for "the rest of us." Not blaming Apple for DVDs being copy protected, but they stepped into the morass without a better way to make it work.

And I say that acknowledging that AppleTV is the slickest solution (overall) to the issue of getting video content from Mac-to-TV.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: November 05, 2007 11:32AM
This reviewer really likes Apple TV, even without the ability to access iTS movies and TV shows:

[www.thestar.com]
Date: November 05, 2007 11:44AM
Filliam H. Muffman
BigGuynRusty
I just saw the DVD in a bargain bin at Circuit City for $4.99! You get the physical media too.
BGnR

So how would you use the Apple TV to play that DVD?
That is the problem, you can't, not if you are the target audience that Apple is trying to sell to!!
With my current set up it is quite easy,!!:
1. Rip with HandBrake
2. EyeHome
3. There is no Step 3!!

BGnR

"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Date: November 05, 2007 11:49AM
Article,

Funny how the article doesn't mention several other significant flaws such as those noted by BGnR and myself. The reviewer may like it but clearly hasn't delved into as deeply as others.

Robert
Posted by: Forrest
Date: November 05, 2007 12:03PM
Looks like there's a healthy amount of third party support and enhancements for the Apple TV - check out [wiki.awkwardtv.org]

Appears the basic hacking procedure is to make a bootable version of OSX and copy it to a thumb drive - which will then boot the Apple TV. From there, you can install additional codecs, Firefox, and they've got EyeTV running on it - so the Apple TV CAN be a HD DVR.

The only thing holding me back is in order to make the bootable version of OSX on a thumb drive (called a patchstick), you'll need an Intel Mac along with the Intel version of OSX 10.4.x

As of right now, no luck using Leopard - as it requires 512 MB and Apple TV only has 256 MB.
Date: November 05, 2007 12:14PM
Forrest
Looks like there's a healthy amount of third party support and enhancements for the Apple TV - check out [wiki.awkwardtv.org]

Appears the basic hacking procedure is to make a bootable version of OSX and copy it to a thumb drive - which will then boot the Apple TV. From there, you can install additional codecs, Firefox, and they've got EyeTV running on it - so the Apple TV CAN be a HD DVR.

The only thing holding me back is in order to make the bootable version of OSX on a thumb drive (called a patchstick), you'll need an Intel Mac along with the Intel version of OSX 10.4.x

As of right now, no luck using Leopard - as it requires 512 MB and Apple TV only has 256 MB.
That is the MAJOR problem, in order to do anything past "Syncing" (AppleTV does not "Stream") with iTunes, it takes a hack, which is not the audience that Apple had in mind!!

BGnR

Posted by: Bubba3K
Date: November 05, 2007 12:32PM
I might be missing your point, but appleTV does stream. I never bother syncing files to it as the streaming works very well over my network.

-B3K
Date: November 05, 2007 12:56PM
BGnR,

Exactly! I always felt the primary target market for the AppleTV was people wanted to wanted to take content from their computer and access it on their TV and home theater system. The vast majority of us don't need a $300.00 AppleTV for that and I'm sure I speak for the average consumer when I say I also have no interest in hacking the device to give it basic functionality that should've had in the first place.

Robert
Date: November 05, 2007 12:56PM
Bubba3K
I might be missing your point, but appleTV does stream. I never bother syncing files to it as the streaming works very well over my network.

-B3K
Nope, sorry.
It "Syncs" the data that you want to view from your iTunes Server, then it plays that data to the TV.
If it could "Stream", it wouldn't require a hard drive.
Not even the iPhone, or the iPodTouch "Streams", they "Sync".

BGnR

Date: November 05, 2007 01:31PM
BigGuynRusty
It "Syncs" the data that you want to view from your iTunes Server, then it plays that data to the TV.

My Apple TV streams, i.e. instant viewing of, for example, a movie with no syncing delay at all. That is true for both the normal Apple TV host as well as transient sources.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2007 01:35PM by Article Accelerator.
Date: November 05, 2007 01:32PM
Some interesting comments here:

[www.macobserver.com]
Posted by: Kramerica
Date: November 05, 2007 01:34PM
Same here Bubba, that's streaming as far as I'm concerned. The storage of the content is not on my AppleTV it's on my computer.
I don't see how true streaming (no hard drive) would be that different in normal use. My AppleTV uses a wired connection so it's almost instantaneous to watch anything that's on my Mac upstairs.

That's how I mostly use my AppleTV since i have access to everything I've got that way and I'm not limited by the paltry 40gb.

As for deals, I bought a couple new ones on ebay under $200 and another for about $210 (resold all but one) but good deals do show up there too.
Date: November 05, 2007 02:01PM
Actually "Syncing", and not "Streaming" according to Apple, and ElGato.
You folks argue all you want, I go to the source, the "Real Deal", not how I "Feel"!

BGnR

Date: November 05, 2007 02:13PM
Kra,

BGnR is right. You can call it what you want but it is still syncing. Ask yourself this.... What happens if you pick up a DVD from a store or are given a DVD as a gift or given a custom DVd from a member of the family and you want to watch it via the AppleTV? In a better world, Apple would have given the AppleTV an optical drive. That way, you could drop it in the machine and watch it. No muss, no fuss. Or, in a slightly less convenient world, you'd follow the steps BGnR offered only substitute AppleTV for EyeHome.

I realize it's easy enough to throw the DVD into a stand-alone DVD player. But, the idea of the AppleTV is to work with your media. A new DVd is media. So, it should be super-easy to use it with the AppleTV. Unfortunately, that's not the case. Heck, it'd be nice to throw the disc into the optical drive of the Mac, and then use the AppleTV to play it on the TV and home theater system. No ripping. No converting to a different format. Power on TV and home theater hardware, slip disc into Mac's optical drive, hit play on AppleTV remote and enjoy. Can the AppleTV do this? From what I understand, no. It can't.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2007 02:18PM by Robert M.
Date: November 05, 2007 02:36PM
Not having an optical drive in the AppleTV is a different matter altogether. I really don't understand this... Do you not already own a DVD player? I see nice slightly used name-brand ones at thrift stores for about $6 all the time. New ones can be had for under $29. If Apple DID put a DVD drive in it, should it be an upconverting drive? If not, why would I use that with my HDTV, when upconverting DVD players can be had for 50-60 bucks? How much more do you want to add to the cost of the unit? Should they have stuck in a combo Blu-ray and HD-DVD drive?
Date: November 05, 2007 02:38PM
Hi everyone,

As a followup to my last post I'll say it differently. I have enough electronic gadgetry. I don't want another piece of hardware unless it can replace the functionality of an existing device. That way, I can repurpose the old equipment or get rid of it altogether. In the case of a media device like the AppleTV, I'd want it to at the least replace my DVD player and DVR. Otherwise, it's another device cluttering up my home theater racks.

Robert
Date: November 05, 2007 02:42PM
BigGuynRusty
Actually "Syncing", and not "Streaming" according to Apple, and ElGato.
You folks argue all you want, I go to the source, the "Real Deal", not how I "Feel"!

BGnR

I acknowlege that, that's why I mentioned true streaming also, but my point is I don't see the difference. So it's not as good as real streaming because there is a 1-2 second buffering delay before playback? I take it that little buffer within the hard drive is why it has to be called sync instead of stream? I mean how would it perform differently, or even better, if it were streaming in the actual sense?
Date: November 05, 2007 02:58PM
Robert M
Hi everyone,

As a followup to my last post I'll say it differently. I have enough electronic gadgetry. I don't want another piece of hardware unless it can replace the functionality of an existing device. That way, I can repurpose the old equipment or get rid of it altogether. In the case of a media device like the AppleTV, I'd want it to at the least replace my DVD player and DVR. Otherwise, it's another device cluttering up my home theater racks.

Robert

I respect that. I would like to consolidate my rack as well, but I think if the optical drive wasn't state-of-the-art (upconvert at minimum), most people wouldn't get rid of the players they already have, especially since this is an HD-only product. They would end up with a bigger, more expensive Apple TV, with a built-in drive they rarely use.
Date: November 05, 2007 03:11PM
Kra,

The drive doesn't even have to be in the device. It should let me easily play discs I've placed in the optical drive of the computer, too. But, having on in the device itself would be even more convenient, even if it was a standard DVD drive.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 115
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020