advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
VNC questions
Posted by: rz
Date: February 09, 2006 03:20PM
My mother-in-law is going to be getting an iMac in the next few months... she lives 1,000 miles away and has been a PC user. I have been her support for several years and am glad my wife finally convinced her to get a mac. Anyhoo, I'm thinking it would be very easy to help her if I can set up some sort of VNC connection between our computers so I can remotely take control of her machine when needed and diagnose any problems. Problem is, I'm on broadband, she would be on modem. Where she lives, they can't get DSL, and cable broadband is still not available. Anyone have any advice as to which VNC server/client would be the best in this situation? Anyone have any experience with this type of setup? Will it be too painful to try since she's on dialup?

I also have a sister who lives pretty far away for whom I'd like to setup the same thing, but thankfully she's on broadband.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: VNC questions
Posted by: incognegro
Date: February 09, 2006 03:44PM
it will be painful if not impossible on dialup.

i was having trouble with my dad the other night, he's on DSL near Philly and i'm on cable near Allentown. the refresh was awful on my end!

i'd say try Timbuktu, it seems optimized for slower connections. it's not free, however.

Posted by: microchip13
Date: February 09, 2006 05:35PM
VNC on dialup = no.

It's slow enough as it is. The lag would probably be close to several minutes.

Just because it has two clutches, shifts faster, uses a torque converter or has near-infinite gear ratios, requires less driver intervention and is more efficient doesn't make it better in my opinion.
Save The Manual Transmission
Posted by: Tofer
Date: February 09, 2006 06:55PM
I agree with the above posters, that dial-up won't really be feasible. I tried this with my grandfather, before he got DSL, and it took minutes to update the screen. Not fun. You may be able to get away with some sort of SSH in order to do some command line updates, etc., but that won't be fun, either.

If your MIL does get a fast connection (and this also goes for you sister), the best solution I've found is the built-in Apple Remote Desktop server option (you can connect via a VNC client) and Chicken of the VNC as the client.

Good luck!

-Tofer
Posted by: New.Dad
Date: February 09, 2006 07:02PM
don't worry, it's a Mac, there is no need for "support", it just works!
Posted by: rz
Date: February 10, 2006 01:30PM
New.Dad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> don't worry, it's a Mac, there is no need for
> "support", it just works!
>

You don't know my MIL or my sister. They'll screw something up. I always spend an entire day each Xmas season at my sister's house fixing up all the things she's messed up all year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 93
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020