It's raining ice!
Posted by: h'
Date: December 01, 2007 11:08AM
In Iowa-- film at 11.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: It's raining ice!
Posted by: iaJim
Date: December 01, 2007 11:15AM
No way! Here in Iowa the film will come at 10:00. We'll al be snug in our beds by 11:00.
Posted by: kap
Date: December 01, 2007 11:30AM
It's 50 degrees right now in Brisbane and some town folks are still walking around in shorts and T-shirts!

SoCal for now.
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: December 01, 2007 11:43AM
Kap,

At 50º, I would be riding my motorcycle.

We probably won't see that temp until April.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2007 11:43AM by MacArtist.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 01, 2007 12:11PM
The citrus fruit is ripening nicely in Sacramento.
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 01, 2007 12:56PM
Brrrrr!!!

freeradical - Sac = "Pancake Circus!!!"
Posted by: blooz
Date: December 01, 2007 01:04PM
couple inches of snow is all here in Western MA. We're supposed to get more tomorrow. It's windy tho, big gusts and cold. Everytime the furnace kicks on I see dollar signs flying out of my pocket.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: mstudio
Date: December 01, 2007 01:38PM
Snow and ice here in SouthWestern Wisconsin and about 20 degrees out. We are supposed to have our Gallery Night tonight but are not sure now, it's really getting bad out there.
Posted by: kap
Date: December 01, 2007 01:49PM
MacArtist,
Actually 50 degrees wasn't unbearable during a fast 4 mile run. That was until the cool down period, which I had to do it in front of fireplace in the hotel's lobby.

I don't hear from any MR members in other states, i.e. Wyoming, Montana, Dakota, etc. We do have members living in those "hardly ever mentioned" states, don't we?

SoCal for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2007 01:53PM by kap.
Posted by: h'
Date: December 01, 2007 01:52PM
kap
I don't hear from any MR members in other states, i.e. Wyoming, Montana, Dakota, etc. We do have members living in those "hardly ever mentioned" states, don't we?

Nope, most of us are in or near Iowa.
Posted by: thermarest
Date: December 01, 2007 02:02PM
I went to college in Iowa and hated the ice storms. Its snowing light and fluffy in Minnesota.
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: December 01, 2007 02:47PM
kap
MacArtist,

Kap,

I haven't heard from any in North Dakota or South Dakota. I am originally from Central South Dakota. I went through some terrible winters...and come to think of it; some terrible summers also. The winter of '79-'80; we had over 45 consecutive days below zero. That starts to wear on you.

I moved farther south; but obviously not far enough.

We had a joke back in South Dakota regarding winters: The only people dumber than South Dakotans are North Dakotans. And the only people dumber than North Dakotans are Canadians.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: outcast
Date: December 01, 2007 03:05PM
Here up in the Pacific Northwest we are currently under a snow advisory and a high wind watch. The full text of the wind watch is here: [www.wunderground.com]
The part of it that I don't like is the little bit that says,

"The most ferocious winds will occur late Sunday night and Monday morning along the entire South Washington and north and central Oregon coast. Sustained winds are expected to top out from 40 to 50 mph... with peak gusts at the beaches and headlands reaching 100 mph. "

I spent the morning moving all of the plants out of the greenhouses and down into the barn and picking up anything else that may become an interesting projectile come Sunday morning. At this point we are going into this assuming that we will probably lose both of the greenhouses and be without power for a day or so. As long as there is no damage to the house or the barn come Monday afternoon and the end of the storm, we'll consider it an early Christmas present.

outcast
Posted by: decocritter
Date: December 01, 2007 04:57PM
I am cold just thinking about it.

61 degrees here in Atlanta, leaves and acorns are falling.

Oucast I hope you don't lose your greenhouses. How do you stay warm when the electricity goes out there?
Posted by: kanesa
Date: December 01, 2007 06:47PM
Madison

We've had almost 6" of very heavy snow and sleet. The sleet felt like a sand storm, it hurt. It was blowing horizontally. Now we are getting the freezing rain on top of this mess.

The weather man just said that it is better to wait and shovel the snow after the freezing rain. But in my opinion the snow is almost impossible to shovel or snow blow because it is so heavy. The snow was already very heavy. I can't imagine a 1/2" of freezing rain on top of it. I spent an hour shoveling and using the snowblower.

Unfortunately I have to work this weekend. So I will have to get up extra early and hopefully get the car unfrozen. When you are in the medical field, the patients need you no matter what the weather.

I hope this storm isn't a harbinger of a bad winter.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 159
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020