advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Has your house made it on google maps street view?
Posted by: Wild eep
Date: December 15, 2007 12:07PM
Mine has here In Massachusetts.

It's both cool and a bit creepy. Did a virtual drive around my small town. Seems to take a 360° view shot every 20' or so.

The shots in my town seemed to have been taken in late summer this year.

Is this more of the evil google emerging?

Is this better information for the consumer?

The cameras have street views available.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Has your house made it on google maps street view?
Posted by: enrico7300
Date: December 15, 2007 12:16PM
yup...its how I found my apartment here in SF.
Posted by: davester
Date: December 15, 2007 12:23PM
They're no more evil than Amazon A9 (which is now defunct but had street view about 2 years ago) or Microsoft Live Street View (we know they are evil) which came out before google's version. Although google has gotten the press, they are a latecomer to this game. They haven't gotten to my house yet, though the Microsoft Live Birdseye View has.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: endymion
Date: December 15, 2007 12:24PM
My house is on it... Along with the doors to my car wide open - I must have been unloading groceries at the time.

Technologically I think it's cool, but socialogically... well, on my block there are several families with children and I just know that if my kids were pictured in front of my house for the entire world to see, I would be pretty unhappy - it's like some kind of happy hunting ground for pedophiles.

But at least our entire block doesn't seem to have anyone out in front of their houses. So I don't know if google has been recognizant of this (after the first few people pictures... man entering adult store, man urinating by side of road...) or if it's just lucky coincidence.

I also wonder - could someone be clever enough now to match up my logged IP with my home address?
g=
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: December 15, 2007 12:31PM
endymion

I also wonder - could someone be clever enough now to match up my logged IP with my home address?
g=

Hmmm...not sure. Give me your logged IP and your address and I'll give it a go.
Posted by: pinion
Date: December 15, 2007 02:13PM
They come about 50 feet from my door and then they must have turned around and left my edition. They only peeked in and turned down one street. I guess that means my house probably won't be on it while I'm living here.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: December 15, 2007 03:31PM
My personal residence - nope. Closest they came was the main road about 1/4 mile away.

My rental property - yup - they drove right by the place. Looks like the tenants had the blinds closed that day, so not much to see...I've got hidden webcams for that anyways ;)
Posted by: h'
Date: December 15, 2007 06:13PM
Residential streets on the norh side of Chicago are up, but only main streets in my neighborhood. Kinda glad my block is not there, but I wish my bike had been at it's usual rack the day they shot by my work.
Posted by: blooz
Date: December 15, 2007 07:41PM
They've got my house in the photo but the arrow makes it look like i live in the middle of the street about 50 yards down.

That's my place right above the word "Main"

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: AAA
Date: December 15, 2007 08:50PM
Yes, my house is on google maps. I am still waiting for live local, since I will be IN the picture.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 15, 2007 10:10PM
live local i have been using for some time now. it's very useful in my job and the resolution is great.

streetview is a bit creepy since it's at street level. i did my house and my car was there in the middle of the day (home for lunch?) and it was probably early summer.

can someone i.d. the van that is used to do this work? what does it look like?
Posted by: AAA
Date: December 16, 2007 10:27AM
google it. The one that passed in front of me while putting up something on my house was a Suburban with big lenses/cameras. There are photos around the web.
Nope.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 16, 2007 05:33PM
I covered it in tinfoil to remain invisible to their cameras.

Oh, and it works on black helicopters, too.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 142
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020