advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I left rent controlled apt. now behind $2.5 million condos.
Posted by: spearmint
Date: December 19, 2007 10:53PM
My apt. was top floor in middle of left buildings. Top of first "L" points at front room window. Looked through sign sitting down. Clear view if I stood up. Not free like Manhattan rent control but cheap 1998 $750 now would be $1.5 mil plus condo and $2750 if rental. Fairmont Heritage timeshare condos in Ghiradelli now. $250,000 for 1/10th share cheapest.

Why did I leave? Slumlord packed building from 12 in 11 apt.s to over 42+ people, Chinese illegals. Bad conditions and downstairs neighbor were no fun. One was fugitive from Portland married to literally mentally ill immigrant for citizenship. I told cops about him but could not establish proof of real identity. Got calls from police in Portland asking after him because they got me on proximity phone. Little rat. She was scary and screamed when I tried to complain. TV noise very loud under my bed 24/7, no fooling. Guy sat right in of tube. Finally one night after coming home from airport I gave them Mick Jagger right back and he came up to complain. Reached for my arm when I tried to close door. I lifted him off ground by throat. Sat there waiting for police but guess he could not call without risk.

I had been there 20 years and no renovation at all. Needed carpet and paint and I had accumulated too much junk. Hard to believe landlady did not fixup but was harboring the illegals that worked at her business. House of Louie. Figured I was just going to get in trouble and time to move on. San Diego pool house on Sunset Cliffs not bad alternative. Free rent for three years did not hurt either. Then you know about the basement where I was when I started here.

Da Good Life

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2007 10:56PM by spearmint.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I left rent controlled apt. now behind $2.5 million condos.
Posted by: h'
Date: December 19, 2007 10:57PM
So why did you leave there?

I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
In the meantime I sympathize because I've been there.
-beerman
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 19, 2007 11:04PM
gee minty, how do you get yourself into these situations?
Date: December 19, 2007 11:23PM
I seek them out. There was something else a little scary. I had parking space but had to back out nearly blind onto high speed Bay St. with no driveway at all. One of three busiest streets in city going to GG Bridge from downtown. Commuting traffic up to 50 mph. Real difficult and adrenalin jolt. Front of building right on street separated only by sidewalk. Kiddie corner from O.J. Simpson high.

Needed San Diego and friends with the house in front on the ocean cliffs. Best time of my life. Got into some serious running and exercise. BFD will tell you about the town and weather. My buddy's Mother in Law wanted the Mother in Law house and that was that.

Da Good Life
Date: December 20, 2007 12:07AM
OK, why did you leave San Diego?
Date: December 20, 2007 12:25AM
The Mother in Law enjoyed visiting me so much in my little house she decided she wanted to stay there on visits. Time for Mint to hit the bricks. Then St. Helena in lovely ex-resort with nice people. Then San Jose and you know the rest or really don't want to. Basement, lockdown and ham sammies lowered down on basket from captors. Now I have stairs to climb when I can.

Da Good Life
Posted by: RgrF
Date: December 20, 2007 05:33AM
Jeeeesus Mint.

What don't you get about today is the first day of the rest of your life? Embrace it and get on with it!

(this is not to say a written memoir isn't of value, but if it proves a block on the road forward you could put it on the back burner and pick it up later)

Let me know when you make that pilgrimage to your Holy of Holys in Simi Valley.

"Who's more foolish - the fool or the fool that follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 20, 2007 06:01AM
come to the East Coast and start a NEW LIFE smiling smiley
Posted by: RgrF
Date: December 20, 2007 06:08AM
I'm with space-time on this!

Get the hell out of here.

"Who's more foolish - the fool or the fool that follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi
Date: December 20, 2007 06:33AM
First shrink I ever saw when I mentioned moving to California to basically change my life said something I have always remembered, "You'll be the same person when you get there."

Here I am and I are.

Like my dear besainted Grand Mother said, " 'vernacular for mate' em if they can't take a joke."

You know that stairs pic is not me, right?

Front page story on condos in SF Chronicle showing chef at the Ghiradelli
Sq. condos triggered this. I don't miss that place much. Good restaurants and great running.

Da Good Life
Date: December 20, 2007 07:18AM
spearmint
First shrink I ever saw when I mentioned moving to California to basically change my life said something I have always remembered, "You'll be the same person when you get there."

Here I am and I are.

Like my dear besainted Grand Mother said, " 'vernacular for mate' em if they can't take a joke."

You know that stairs pic is not me, right?

Front page story on condos in SF Chronicle showing chef at the Ghiradelli
Sq. condos triggered this. I don't miss that place much. Good restaurants and great running.

They call that "doing a geographical" in big book circles (I'll bet you've heard that before?).
Now going carfree, that really will change your life :-)
Posted by: Wailer
Date: December 20, 2007 11:54AM
This is why rent control is bad.

1) Landlord has no incentive to improve the building if he can't raise rents, If fact, if he makes it worse, good people like you will move out and he can rerent at market rent.

2) Tenants don't want to move or simply can't afford to move so they hang on for life. Even if they don't physically live there anymore, many people keep the unit because it's really cheap.

3) The building spirals downward until the conditions of the building catch up to the rent people are paying. Only then do people with the means (like you) move out.

I paid $400 a month for a 2 bedroom place in Berkeley in the 90's. It was nasty and the carpet had not been changed in 20 years. Many people had been there for 20+ years and were either working in SF or had already bought houses but they wanted to keep their cheap rent-controlled places for, get this, the parking permit. Some would illegally sublet for more than the rent they were paying. Imagine what this does to the supply of housing for students of limited means. Finders fees and kickbacks were the way of doing business and most went to the sleazy managers rather than the slumlords.

I then moved to Santa Monica and couldn't find an apartment because many people kept their places so they'd have a place to go during the summer.

So while I think landlords should not be able to displace people by raising rents at a whim, I do think rent control is bad for everyone. The current vacancy decontrol laws, where rents increase annually at the cost-of-living and may be rented at market upon vacancy, is more fair if combined with strict enforcement of abuse by both landlords and tenants.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 180
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020