advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anybody else hear a gunshot last night?
Posted by: spearmint
Date: January 01, 2008 10:17PM
Forgot I am not in high rent district. Actually not cheap but not high class.

Was already asleep at midnight when a little yelling and couple firecrackers before what sounded like small caliber gunshot happened outside in my complex. No street just sidewalks in between apartments. Had forgotten how prevalent this is in the "interesting" neighborhoods. In LA at least cops park under viaducts at midnight.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anybody else hear a gunshot last night?
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: January 01, 2008 10:23PM
I spent the night at friend's house because last year I swore would be the last time I spent a New Year's Eve in my house. Way too much gunfire & not nearly enough sedatives. I filled the cat's bowls before I left & wished 'em luck & all survived the night.

Posted by: MacMagus
Date: January 01, 2008 10:25PM
Yep. Also had the local drug dealers torch the drug store next to my building after somebody tipped off the cops that they were using the pay phone there.

That was in Los Angeles.

Ah, the good old days...
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 01, 2008 10:27PM
so it was a celebration-shot, not a kill-shot. Well, I guess I can take that.
Posted by: decocritter
Date: January 01, 2008 10:31PM
I had to go feed a cat in a neighborhood that borders on an "interesting neighborhood". Problem is you have to go thru that neighborhood. The brothers were standing outside in the street and on bikes in the middle of the road. They take their sweet time moving out of the road so cars can pass. When I was inside I heard what sounded like gunshots. I called and reported it. The police said that they had several reports all during the day.

When I left, a police RV was set up at the edge of the neighborhood, with motorcycle cops parked on either side.

No one was in the street.
Date: January 01, 2008 10:32PM
The kill shots were in San Jose but I was safe in the basement. Got used to the sound of police choppers. Amazing the grief small two apartment complexes can cause in an otherwise sterile office commercial area.
Hope someone heard this and turns them into the police
Posted by: slbett
Date: January 01, 2008 10:32PM
[www.msnbc.msn.com]
Posted by: decocritter
Date: January 01, 2008 10:37PM
In a similar story, someone was killed while at their computer from "stray gunfire" that just happened to nail this poor person.

The people that fire guns for fun and noise are heathen idiots. The guns should be confiscated and the jerks put in jail for a few months.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 01, 2008 10:46PM
Regarding fireworks/gunshots etc. --- when did New Year's Eve turn into the 4th of July? I don't really see the connection, apart from dumb kids who like to make noise.
Posted by: JoeBob
Date: January 01, 2008 11:08PM
I was pleasantly surprised, none of the rednecks in my neighborhood had guns out last night.
Kids across the street had fireworks tonight, though.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 01, 2008 11:12PM
For some reason, gunfire has been light for the last 4th of July, and non-existant for this New Year's Eve/New Years.

In the past both days seemed to all for revolver/semi-auto handgun and rifle fire. Medium caliber stuff, no .22LR.

I welcome the quiet.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: January 01, 2008 11:38PM
Truly frightening the mentality that does this. Would figure out it is possible to kill people if they cared. They don't.

Posted by: h'
Date: January 01, 2008 11:40PM
deckeda
Regarding fireworks/gunshots etc. --- when did New Year's Eve turn into the 4th of July? I don't really see the connection, apart from dumb kids who like to make noise.

In most of europe, hundreds of years ago?
Date: January 01, 2008 11:41PM
I was up o an elevated railbed at midnight-- didn't hear any gunfire. Almost noone outside.
Snowstorm helped . . .
This was in a neighborhood that still has lots of shooting. I had the impression that spending NYE indoors with friends has become the preference.
Date: January 01, 2008 11:43PM
RAMd®d
For some reason, gunfire has been light for the last 4th of July, and non-existant for this New Year's Eve/New Years.

Same here in Chicago. Part of the reason may be the police cameras that have proliferated over the past 2 years, which supposedly can triangulate gunfire.

I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
In the meantime I sympathize because I've been there.
-beerman
Posted by: stephen
Date: January 02, 2008 12:22AM
All over Vieques, Puerto Rico. The one damper on an otherwise nice celebration. I heard a little girl was killed last year by errant gunfire.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 02, 2008 12:35AM
"The guns should be confiscated and the jerks put in jail for a few months."

Actually, at least in this state, negligent discharge of a firearm in a city limits is ( I think) a felony worth 3-5 years in prison and permanent loss of civil rights (including the rights to vote and own a firearm).

As a law abiding gun owner... I have no problem with this.

That all assumes that the DA's office bothers to prosecute. And don't get me started on what OUR local DA has chosen to prosecute, and chosen to ignore...

What goes up, comes down, and despite urban legend it does NOT come down "just as fast" as it went up, BUT, it comes down PLENTY fast to puncture skin and bone.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: January 02, 2008 12:37AM
Being Police Chief in Detroit must be one of the toughest jobs in the world but looks like this guy is doing a good one. Cracking down on their celebrations. Calm last night.

[www.freep.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 02, 2008 01:22AM
some reserve Seattle cop let loose with his AKM a few years back, and the bullet came down on a neighbor on his back porch. Didn't end well for the drunken reserve cop......
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: January 02, 2008 02:18AM
h'
deckeda

In most of europe, hundreds of years ago?

Yes, we don't make a big thing of 4th July over here. ;)

Fireworks are reserved for bringing in the New Year and Guy Fawkes night.
Posted by: DP
Date: January 02, 2008 06:38AM
spearmint
Being Police Chief in Detroit must be one of the toughest jobs in the world but looks like this guy is doing a good one. Cracking down on their celebrations. Calm last night.

Actually, the "guy" is a she and the jury is still out on her performance. She's been under the microscope and the latest issue is the number of unsolved homicides in Detroit.
Not the easiest job in the world.
Posted by: walscobry
Date: January 02, 2008 07:01AM
Reporting from the hood in Church Hill, Richmond, VA. While gun fire on friday and saturday nights are way down, new years gun fire reached a level we haven't seen for 5-7 years. Everything from .22 pistols to dual automatics being shot from a vehicle traveling at high speed. There was constant gun fire from about 5 till midnight until after 1 am. With group volleying off each other. 3 shots over here, ok 3 over here a couple more to boot, oh yeah I match your 6 shots and raise you another couple.

There were some fireworks in the mix from say 11:55 till 12:05 then just guns.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: January 02, 2008 08:07AM
[uk.news.yahoo.com]
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: January 02, 2008 08:50AM
A few years ago the Baltimore cops cancelled leave on New Year's Eve and posted cops at all the favorite gunfire locations. Then they arrested the shooters, checked them all for warrants and priors, and hit the jackpot. The state's attorney's office, which likes things to be restful and quiet, was forced to prosecute most of them. Shooting on New Year's Eve has been very light since.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 02, 2008 09:20AM
Celebration gunfire in my old 'hood involves a Revolutionary war re-enactor and his musket, loaded with just wadding. Rednecks know the same thing- fill up the muzzle loader for a big bang noise and cloud of smoke. Or pull out the old carbine cannon.

These Jose-come lately guys run around wasting valuable bullets and brass, they just don't know any better.
Posted by: jesse
Date: January 02, 2008 09:48AM
When we were living in the Bay Area our next door neighbor had a bullet come through the roof and narrowly miss his wife who was standing in the kitchen, here in Oregon the neighbors had fireworks that frightened the dogs, but no gun fire.
Posted by: maco
Date: January 02, 2008 11:44AM
Don't know if they still do, but LAPD police cars used to park under freeway overpasses, just before midnight.
Posted by: billb
Date: January 02, 2008 11:58AM
Do you still have relatives mentioned in a will Minty ? :-)
Posted by: Silencio
Date: January 02, 2008 12:09PM
There are a lot of unsolved homicides in San Francisco and Oakland that have turned up the heat on the police and DAs. A lot of it can be ascribed to two simple words that are unfortunately beyond the control of the authorities: "stop snitching".

Thankfully didn't see any gunshots; just the usual mobs of drunken idiots knocking stuff over and leaving streams of broken bottles in their wake.
Posted by: Undrpsi
Date: January 02, 2008 12:20PM
cbelt3
Celebration gunfire in my old 'hood involves a Revolutionary war re-enactor and his musket, loaded with just wadding. Rednecks know the same thing- fill up the muzzle loader for a big bang noise and cloud of smoke. Or pull out the old carbine cannon.

These Jose-come lately guys run around wasting valuable bullets and brass, they just don't know any better.

Front Page on the local newspaper is "Local's blast in the new year" Cherryville, NC-almost 40 locals loaded up their black powder guns to welcome 2008...."

3 or 4 years ago...a guy died from too much black powder and not enough brains.

And the line about wasting brass was VERY funny...

Jay
Posted by: Robo
Date: January 02, 2008 05:03PM
I live in Oakland, we think of gunshots as crickets here.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 03, 2008 12:16AM
Clever, but sad.

I have mixed emotions that the Bey and crew were taken without a fight.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 300
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020