advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Safari 3 memory leak in Tiger?
Posted by: timg
Date: January 06, 2008 12:17PM
Anyone have problems with Safari 3 in Tiger? Seems after a little while of browsing, the memory consumed by Safari is over 300MB and keeps growing. If I restart it, it's down to a more reasonable number.

Anyway to reinstall just Safari 3? I can't find a standalone download for just Safari?

Any other things that can fix the issue?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Safari 3 memory leak in Tiger?
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 06, 2008 12:43PM
I have seen this on my wife's iBook G4, 10.4.10 (it also happned with 10.4.8 and lower versions) with Safari 2. It happened even after a clean install. I have no idea why. It does not happen on my powerbook G4. Same safari, same OS, same CPU, same RAM ( 1.5GB ). go figure.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 06, 2008 12:54PM
i dunno about tiger, but my safari in leopard runs a constant 300+ megs -- and 2 gigs of virtual memory

this is on a 24" AL iMac, 4 gigs ram...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Don Kiyoti
Date: January 06, 2008 01:18PM
Sure seems leaky to me: after having Safari open for about 45 minutes and with one page open, Activity Monitor showed it using 1.26 gb of RAM! Now it's down to a mere 947 mb. This is version 3.04 on a Dual 2.0 G5 with 3.5 gb RAM.

[picasaweb.google.com] [www.flickr.com]
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 06, 2008 02:48PM
Something weird I've noticed at work with Safari 3/Tiger is that whenever you quit the app it now takes a long time to do so.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: January 06, 2008 02:58PM
A few things on this.

1. You guys are all aware on how apps use memory in OS X, right? You know that an app wont release unused memory unless another another app requests it, right? So as long as your free RAM is not 0, you're fine.

2. The more RAM you have, the more RAM apps will keep allocated to themselves. This is because when other apps requests that RAM, there is more RAM so they don't have to grab inactive RAM from other apps.

3. The amount of RAM your browser uses completely depends on what sites you visit. Unfortunately, many web sites are very selfish and built as if they're the only one you're going to have open. I've seen banner ads that suck up 50% of my CPU. With the way many sites now use JavaScript or AJAX, and the state of "garbage collection" in those browsers, sites can easily bring a browser to its knees, even after you've closed the window. Sloppy code is mainly to blame.

For me, Safari is currently using over 400MB of RAM. However, I have 520MB free so that's fine.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Date: January 06, 2008 06:02PM
The reason I noticed this is because the other day I was trying to watch something in an eyeTV window and it was stuttering like mad. I looked in Activity monitor and saw that Safari was up over a gig of memory (this is on a dual G4 with 1.5gig of RAM).

I never see this sort of behavior with Firefox, but it's happened quite often with Safari lately. Not sure what put it over the top though (system update, Safari version, etc).
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 06, 2008 06:04PM
Saw the same thing with version 2, grew to use more than 350 MB of RAM and a virtual size in excess of 1.5 GB. By then it would start crawling on some web sites. And it would slow down switching to other applications and the like. At least version 3 appears to have less impact when its virtual size and real memory usage get up there. Where version 2 would be slow and unresponsive, version 3 on 10.4.11 is still relatively snappy. This is on a DA G4 with a NewerTech 1.73 dual 7448 upgrade and 1.125 GB of RAM.

P.S. Currently Safari is at 1.22 GB virtual size and 360 MB real memory used.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2008 06:06PM by JoeH.
Date: January 06, 2008 06:29PM
M A V I C
A few things on this.

1. You guys are all aware on how apps use memory in OS X, right? ...

some of us are. Please explain why, on two almost "identical" computers (iBook G4 and PowerBook G4, both 10.4.10, same amount of RAM, 1.5 GB, same version of Safari - 2.0.4), one computer (the iBook) has the memory leak and the other ( the powerbook) does not.

I even did this experiment: I restarted both computers and after one hour of using safari on the iBook the VM was huge (>1.5 GB) while on the PB it was a mere few hundred BM.

Yes, I visited the same sites.
Date: January 06, 2008 07:26PM
space-time
M A V I C
A few things on this.

1. You guys are all aware on how apps use memory in OS X, right? ...

some of us are. Please explain why, on two almost "identical" computers (iBook G4 and PowerBook G4, both 10.4.10, same amount of RAM, 1.5 GB, same version of Safari - 2.0.4), one computer (the iBook) has the memory leak and the other ( the powerbook) does not.

What software did you use to determine there was a memory leak? Activity monitor is useless in determining if memory allocation is due to a leak.

I even did this experiment: I restarted both computers and after one hour of using safari on the iBook the VM was huge (>1.5 GB) while on the PB it was a mere few hundred BM.

Yes, I visited the same sites.

And you know the sites well enough to know that you received identical code (eg, same JavaScripts, same ads...) and your cache is identical on both machines, same with your cookies, privacy settings...?

You could try creating new users on both machines and then launch Safari in each. Let them sit for a while without even loading any sites.

Date: January 06, 2008 10:03PM
I did use activity monitor and I looked at the VM size. Not sure that is a leak thoug, but it's a huge difference. The iBook's Safsri slows down to a crawl, and it speeds up again if I restart Safari.

I noticed this on many occasions, enough to offset any difference in code, ads and javascript from those sites.

I am nukeing and paving the iBook right now and the Powerbook in a few days. I do this every January. it seems to help, even though it is NOT necessary. In a few days I will try the experiment you suggested.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 06, 2008 11:59PM
Why?

M A V I C

Activity monitor is useless in determining if memory allocation is due to a leak.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2008 11:59PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: January 07, 2008 01:05AM
timg
The reason I noticed this is because the other day I was trying to watch something in an eyeTV window and it was stuttering like mad. I looked in Activity monitor and saw that Safari was up over a gig of memory (this is on a dual G4 with 1.5gig of RAM).

What M A V I C said.

BTW, the stutteringhas nothing to do with RAM usage--it's a CPU load issue. Blame the application, other processes, or a not-fast-enough computer.
Date: January 07, 2008 02:43AM
Article Accelerator
timg

What M A V I C said.

BTW, the stutteringhas nothing to do with RAM usage--it's a CPU load issue. Blame the application, other processes, or a not-fast-enough computer.

CPU was not pegged, but RAM usage was very large. When I quit Safari, which had little
to no CPU usage but huge RAM foot print, the stuttering went away. So, in this case it had
everything to do with RAM usage.
Date: January 07, 2008 04:16AM
my experience matches that of timg, but on Safari 2. I am upgrading the iBook in question from 10.4.10 to 10.4.11 so I am curious if Safari 3 does the same or not.

10.4.11 comes with safari 3, right?
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 07, 2008 04:44AM
When comparing two systems with the same browser, it would also be good to verify that they also have the same versions of plug-ins and other software that they might indirectly use, like Flash and Quicktime. Those might also be contributing to RAM and CPU usage differences.
Date: January 07, 2008 06:07AM
good point GGD, I didn't think of that!
Date: January 07, 2008 11:59AM
Speedy
Why?

M A V I C

Activity monitor is useless in determining if memory allocation is due to a leak.

Because it doesn't give the information needed to determine that.

Here's a good bit on memory management in OS X
[www.macosxhints.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 257
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020