advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OWC Poor Showing on Resellerratings.com
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: January 11, 2008 09:51PM
I have had nothing but good experience with OWC. I just now ordered a replacement battery for my iBook based on past experience and reflected by others on this forum. Just for grins I looked up their rating on resellerratings.com as I had been checking out other vendors before placing the order with OWC Here's the link.

[www.resellerratings.com]

What a shock to see a rating of 5.81 out of 10 and much negative feedback. Is this typical of experience of our forum members?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OWC Poor Showing on Resellerratings.com
Posted by: microchip13
Date: January 11, 2008 09:57PM
Wow.

I'm impressed.
I've had nothing but good things with OWC although I am in the process of doing an RMA that's taking a bit longer than I would like.

Just because it has two clutches, shifts faster, uses a torque converter or has near-infinite gear ratios, requires less driver intervention and is more efficient doesn't make it better in my opinion.
Save The Manual Transmission
Posted by: Shakes
Date: January 11, 2008 10:00PM
I've had nothing but great experience with OWC. One time UPS lost my package temporarily and OWC credited the shipping back to me.
Posted by: guitarist
Date: January 11, 2008 10:11PM
Since using products and services from OWC, my teeth are whiter, my car gets better mileage, my love life is more satisfying, my hair is shinier, my cholesterol is lower, my eyesight has improved, and food tastes better. That's been your experience, too, right?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 11, 2008 10:11PM
Well, i have to say - after today's news of TigerDirect's great report on resellerratings and this info about OWC's report, i have lost faith -- in resellerratings...

I read the negative OWC comments there - most that are from within recent memory (last 2 years or so) sound like unreasonable customers... I've had fantastic experiences with OWC, and am confident i'd have heard (here or the other place) if they were shorting people on merchandise or service. Of course, maybe that's an advantage of knowing the forum - if you have a problem, you know where to find Jamie, Larry and the gang... Keep up the good work, guys.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2008 10:12PM by rjmacs.
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: January 11, 2008 10:16PM
77 ratings going back to 1997!

"0/15/97 8:17 PM
I ordered an external Jaz drive from these guys. I received an internal Jaz drive in a brand-X box. No SCSI-II port, as the Iomega box has plus it weighed a ton. I bought this for my laptop. Key point, though, is that they lied about their product. I asked them what they were selling before I ordered. They also wouldn't take it back ... initially. My worst web-ordering experience."

I guess it might come down to we don't complain when we're happy

I've probably seen more than 77 very happy reports here and at DM in the last 5 years.

Posted by: Jim Williams
Date: January 11, 2008 10:19PM
Nothing but good experiences here. They've always gone the extra distance when needed.
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: January 11, 2008 10:42PM
I don't believe everything I read.

Not saying things don't go south once in a while. It's what happens at that point that counts.

I had a OWC G4 processor card go out a year and a half into the 3 year warranty. Once it was determined that it was toast; I got an RMA and a few days later I had a new upgrade card in my hands. Everyone was professional throughout the process.

Everything else has worked without problem for as long as I've owned the product. I'd say that's a pretty good track record.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 11, 2008 10:43PM
I bet OWC will make good on that Jaz drive to that person. And, if they don't, they can have mine

grinning smiley

Mischievous and Deceitful
Chicanerous and Deplorable
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 11, 2008 11:08PM
I've read that Dell makes good computers too...

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: martin
Date: January 11, 2008 11:18PM
I will no longer shop at OWC.

I avoid them completely and encourage others not to use them, Larry's forum presence not withstanding. I was treated poorly, got a defective merchandise and was charged for it.

You don't want the details, do you?
Posted by: h'
Date: January 11, 2008 11:32PM
martin

I avoid them completely and encourage others not to use them, Larry's forum presence not withstanding. I was treated poorly, got a defective merchandise and was charged for it.

No, no thanks. Because chances are we've been hearing about thisw same incident for the last 10 years anyways . . .
Posted by: dk62
Date: January 11, 2008 11:42PM
Well,

In all honesty, if the comments go back 10 years, they had some major issues long time ago. On the other hand, my recent experiences have been mixed - they definitely lived up to the terms of sale, but absolutely did not go the extra mile. I received a defective ministack (FW defective USB2 OK), foolishly decided to troubleshoot instead of sending it back immediately, had an emergency trip for a couple of weeks, when I came back it was more than 30 days from purchase. I asked for cross-shipment replacement, offering to pay for the new product and shipping both ways, with understanding that the cost of the replacement product will be refunded once they receive the faulty product. They were not willing to do that, even though they are the only warranty service providers for Newer. So, yes, I got my replacement quite some time later, they lived up to the letter of the sale agreement, no extra mile anywhere to speak of. Did not see anything that would differentiate them from TigerDirect or NewEgg. May or may not shop there in the future, depending on item and price.
Posted by: beerman
Date: January 12, 2008 12:15AM
What I like about OWC is that I can feel very comfortable that what I buy will work with my Mac. No guessing, no wondering etc. I may pay slightly more than a rock bottom store but I think the peace of mind is worth it. The only thing they could improve on is the time it takes for an order to ship. It can sometimes take multiple days before a shipment makes it out the door. Sometimes I forget that and it bites me if I need the product quickly.
Posted by: slbett
Date: January 12, 2008 12:19AM
I'm a happy camper. Never a problem. The way I look at it is, if you get a defective product from OWC, you can't blame them. They don't make EVERYTHING they sell. Now if they mess up an order or are slow in replacing said defective item, then you can.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: January 12, 2008 12:26AM
martin

Isn't there a thread on this either here or at DM? Link?

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: January 12, 2008 07:23AM
My experiences with OWC have been *very* positive.

I think one's experience (either positive or negative) stems as much from the purchaser as the seller. Too often as purchasers, we expect sellers to bend to our every request simply because we are spending our hard earned cash. There are always limits, though.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Cap'n Rusty
Date: January 12, 2008 07:29AM
I had one great transaction with OWC and one awful transaction. At this point, I would order from them again. However, I'm through if the next time goes as badly as the last time.
Posted by: d0e
Date: January 12, 2008 07:39AM
i have had nothing but fast quick service from owc, sales and replacement. my one gripe with them is the way the ModBook pre-order has been handled, shipping date after shipping date pushed back with not so much as a update.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 12, 2008 07:52AM
"extra mile"

So everyone expect a vendor to go the "extra mile", but when a vendor I deal with has bad customer service, long lead time for repairs, crappy products, and then they send me a "revised quote" for 56 cents more, I got mostly negative feedback. Yes, I expected that vendor to go the extra mile, in this case that mile was cheap (50 cents). and I spend 20k/year with them.

You guys here expect a vendor to ship a product faster, accept return after 30 days, etc, while you spend way way below 20k/year with OWC.

now was I being unreasonable in that post?

[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: h'
Date: January 12, 2008 08:38AM
space-time
"extra mile"

So everyone expect a vendor to go the "extra mile", but when a vendor I deal with has bad customer service, long lead time for repairs, crappy products, and then they send me a "revised quote" for 56 cents more, I got mostly negative feedback. Yes, I expected that vendor to go the extra mile, in this case that mile was cheap (50 cents). and I spend 20k/year with them.

You guys here expect a vendor to ship a product faster, accept return after 30 days, etc, while you spend way way below 20k/year with OWC.

now was I being unreasonable in that post?

[forums.macresource.com]

I don't think you really read and considered the responses in that thread.
But maybe you could keep joining various forums and posting the same question until you find someone to agree with you.
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: January 12, 2008 09:37AM
> So everyone expect a vendor to go the "extra mile", but when a vendor I
> deal with has bad customer service, long lead time for repairs, crappy
> products, and then they send me a "revised quote" for 56 cents more, I got
> mostly negative feedback.

No.

People don't expect vendors to "go the extra mile." In fact, it's often quite the opposite: we expect the worst. That's why when vendors do go above-and-beyond they earn customer-loyalty.

From what you described, it seems that you were charged fairly but you WANTED them to be more than fair with you. You wanted obsequious servitude.

If you'd like sympathy, this is not the way to go about it. You're coming off as a narcissist.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: January 12, 2008 09:39AM
Isn't the bottom line that everyone should go to resellerratings and post their good experiences? Each and every time?

The squeaky wheel gets the grease -- people usually are happy when things go right and don't bother to "anti-complain"...
Posted by: olnacl
Date: January 12, 2008 10:43AM
Generally, I'm satisfied with OWC performance. One sore point is when I ordered an eSATA card and then sold the computer it was intended for a couple months afterwards, without ever opening the package. They refused to accept it as a return, (it was about 120 days since I'd purchased it) even when I offered to pay a restocking fee and buy the correct one for the replacement computer. Seems, since I've spent thousands of dollars with them (and still am spending, BTW) they might have gone the extra mile, taken the unused card back and credited some part of what I'd paid toward a new one - I bought THAT card elsewhere after the disappointing episode.

Posted by: Tommie Milwaukee
Date: January 12, 2008 10:46AM
Put me down as another satisfied customer of OWC. I even drove down there once (from Milwaukee) and Jamie personally re-soldered the power connector to the motherboard of an iBook. Maybe I've just been fortunate, but I've had nothing but positive experiences with OWC over the years. I DO use their ram, too, and I've never gotten a bad stick.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: January 12, 2008 10:51AM
I HAVE SOLVED THE PROBLEM WITH REGARD TO THIS ISSUE.

After extensive consultation with both Vladamir Putin and the leadership in the United States military, there will no longer be ANY room for error when it comes to servicing customers that order from OWC. NONE.

Secretary of Defense, Robert Gates, has personally assured me that any, and I mean ANY breach of the public trust, from Ben accidentally coughing into the phone, to an incorrect zip code on the part of Larry or anyone else at OWC, will result in a significant military response will be employed, appropriately labelled, "Shock & Static" -without warning, for any future offenses.

Mr. Gates has also assured me that international orders from Russia will also be placed under the same strict standards, and he will permit the Mr. Putin and Marshall Ogorkov to administer their own version of "Shock & Static" as is appropriate.

The graphic below was sent to assure me that they were serious about the issue and MIL STD 1984, as applies to Macintosh upgrades at the Pentagon.

Those ratings will be 10/10 from this point forward..... or face the consequences below.

It brought a tear to my eye...... because dammit! I'm even MORE proud to be an American then I was just a few minutes ago!

LEADER!
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: January 12, 2008 11:31AM
I've always suspected that the various reseller ratings are stacked in some/any way.

I've done business with OWC many times and all I can say is that, without exeption, they have always delivered and backed up their products with a distinct professionalism and class. You can't trust anything you read on the internet.
Posted by: samintx
Date: January 12, 2008 01:00PM
I have always had excellent results with OWC. Makes you wonder about ratings, doesn't it.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: January 12, 2008 01:36PM
Nothing but great experience with OWC, bar none. It's why I keep coming to them to see if they're selling it before I shop elsewhere. It's why I keep getting and recommending the On The Go drive even though the design is so tired. [ ;) to OWC Jamie. ]

Posted by: BCam
Date: January 12, 2008 01:48PM
I order.
They ship (quickly)
I plug it in.
It works.

I must be a satisfied customer.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 12, 2008 02:35PM
Jimmypoo
I HAVE SOLVED THE PROBLEM WITH REGARD TO THIS ISSUE.

After extensive consultation with both Vladamir Putin and the leadership in the United States military, there will no longer be ANY room for error when it comes to servicing customers that order from OWC. NONE.

Secretary of Defense, Robert Gates, has personally assured me that any, and I mean ANY breach of the public trust, from Ben accidentally coughing into the phone, to an incorrect zip code on the part of Larry or anyone else at OWC, will result in a significant military response will be employed, appropriately labelled, "Shock & Static" -without warning, for any future offenses.

Mr. Gates has also assured me that international orders from Russia will also be placed under the same strict standards, and he will permit the Mr. Putin and Marshall Ogorkov to administer their own version of "Shock & Static" as is appropriate.

The graphic below was sent to assure me that they were serious about the issue and MIL STD 1984, as applies to Macintosh upgrades at the Pentagon.

Those ratings will be 10/10 from this point forward..... or face the consequences below.

It brought a tear to my eye...... because dammit! I'm even MORE proud to be an American then I was just a few minutes ago!

LEADER!

hopefuily, the crosshairs are centered on those wretched waterless urinals...........
Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: January 12, 2008 08:10PM
My 1st shopping experience with OWC (years ago) was not so pleasant. Getting hit with a restocking fee for what I considered to be a defective item left a VERY bad taste in my mouth. About a year & a half ago I ordered a MiniStacker from 'em & all's fine now once I silenced the horribly annoying high pitched buzz the thing made for about a year.
[forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: ScottW
Date: January 13, 2008 05:05AM
Hi all.. As the founder and owner of ResellerRatings, I wanted to add my $0.02:

ResellerRatings was the first store ratings site on the web, founded as part of SysOpt.com (a site I founded and owned previously) in 1995, then broken out as its own site in 1996. Since that time, we've learned a thing or two about how a ratings site should be operated, and I have some insights about the points raised here:

1) 65% of the reviews we receive are either "Satisfied" or "Very Satisfied". That contradicts the common assumption that people only bother to complain. If a store has a bunch of bad reviews, then it is in the minority, and the reviews are probably deserved.

2) If you brought the 70+ OWC ResellerRatings reviewers here for a discussion, this thread would have a much different tone. If you had a good experience with a store, and your experience differs from what others are saying at ResellerRatings, that does not mean that ResellerRatings can't be trusted. With very few exceptions, stores operate in a wide range of quality: they will never please 100% of their customers or 0%. If a store pleases 40% of its customers, that's pretty crappy, but you could be one of the satisifed 40% saying "hey, I had a good experience, why are there so many bad reviews at ResellerRatings." It's because the other 60% didn't have the same experience as you, they had a bad experience. So, please consider that just because ResellerRatings ratings contradict your personal experience does not automatically invalidate our data.

3) Most people complain about bad stores having good ratings, and either accuse us of taking bribes or failing to catch fraud. A) we don't take bribes, and in fact we cancel sponsorships when merchants think that advertising dollars can affect ratings, and B) we've had 12 years to detect and throw out fraud via a variety of automated and manual tools, and we've become very good at it. Detecting fraud is a huge part of what we do. You won't find this to be the case ANYWHERE else. Any other site that aggregates store reviews simply uses IP duplicate blocking and that's it, because they just don't care about quality.

4) We're the only ratings and reviews resource that is actively monitored by 2,000 merchants, who participate in the site. 2,000 merchants have signed up with us to be able to monitor their feedback and post public responses to customer reviews. If you write a review about a problem at one of those stores, chances are they're going to contact you and try to make it right so that you'll want to edit your negative review into a positive review.

5) Some stores with really good ratings, like Newegg, are serious about satisfying their customers. They take a very active role at ResellerRatings and bend over backwards to satisfy any customers who had a bad experience. We think that's a great thing for everyone.

6) Merchants pressure us to remove bad reviews daily. We don't cave. We have a list of policies that reviews must comply with, and if a review doesn't violate those policies, it stays, no matter what we have to go through or how much we have to spend on attorneys to defend our position. If a review does violate a policy, we contact the reviewer and help them bring it into compliance. Again, you won't find this anywhere else: on any other reviews site, if a merchant asks for a review to be removed, it's gone 9 times out of 10. Therefore, reviews at other sites (shopping engines and the like) paint an artificially rosy picture.

I'm happy to answer any questions that anyone has about the site. The site has received tons of praise over the years and I and my staff work very hard to make ResellerRatings the best quality, most reliable source of customer reviews on the web.
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: January 13, 2008 06:34AM
> Hi all.. As the founder and owner of ResellerRatings...

I'm beginning to feel a strange sense of power.

We keep getting these visits from people who Google for mention of their companies and find this forum at or near the top of the results.

'Think we can get the Leader to show up here?
Posted by: d0e
Date: January 16, 2008 11:49AM
MacMagus
We keep getting these visits from people who Google for mention of their companies and find this forum at or near the top of the results.

'Think we can get the Leader to show up here?

steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs steve jobs lol
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 339
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020