The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Calvary 1TB USB2/eSATA $230 shipped
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: January 14, 2008 06:31AM
[www.buy.com]
-$10 for first time GCO

Appears to be a single drive, making it even cheaper than a bare drive at the same capacity.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Calvary 1TB USB2/eSATA $230 shipped
Posted by: olnacl
Date: January 14, 2008 07:44AM
I've seen some less than stellar reviews on Cavalry, but I have a 500 GB external that I opened up and found a WD drive inside. I put the drive in my Mac Pro and so far no problems. I'm re-using the case for one of the click rabbit Maxtors that I bought from OWC that were driving me nuts in my Mac Pro.
OTH, I think I'd spend a few extra bucks and buy one with a 3 or 5 year warranty

Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: January 14, 2008 08:42AM
click rabbit Maxtor?
Posted by: olnacl
Date: January 14, 2008 04:21PM
The thing chatters like Bogs Bunny's teeth in a blizzard. I bought two of them - both extremely noisy. A complete disappointment after the quiet drive that came with the Mac Pro.
The WD is quiet right out of the Cavalry enclosure, but I didn't check the Acoustic Management setting before I installed it - was just pleasantly surprised that it was quiet.
I finally shut up the Maxtor using Hitachi feature tools at some hit in performance. Actually, it's just sitting around now but I'll use it to back up my MacBook or something. The second Maxtor is my Tiger drive and doesn't see much action, so the noise isn't too annoying.

Posted by: endymion
Date: January 14, 2008 08:21PM
Well... that was hard to pass up. I seem to have had a 5% off coupon already in my cart from the last time I visited... so I only paid $218... I've never used Google checkout so I could have had 1TB for ~$208.
g=
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 85
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020