advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
DirectTV vs Dish Network
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: February 14, 2006 10:24AM
Is there any discernible difference? I was going to go with DirectTV, but i'd like to get some french TV which you can only do with the Dish Network. But i'd hate to get it if it sucks.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: DirectTV vs Dish Network
Posted by: Effin Haole
Date: February 14, 2006 10:38AM
Had both, Dish was good, but only because I could get most of the Pacific Rim stations here on the left coast. After a few months they cut off my access to local stations across the nation and I went through8 months of letter writing and phne calls trying to get an exemption since I was in a valley in the foothills of the Sierras and couldn't get any TV signal other than satellite. I was still denied and I went with Direct after they said it would be no problem.

Since I moved back to the mainland, I have had Direct again for the last 3 years and love it, although I had to get a different dish from HK to get my PacRim channels.
Posted by: troywellbuilt
Date: February 14, 2006 10:46AM
I like the channels I get on Dish, and the pricing is better than cable, but their customer service is non-existent. Their "professional" installer did a number on my house, too. I may stay with them now that things have settled, but I cannot recommend them.

Funny, I am 50 miles from New York City, get many local stations clearly with an antenna, but was given an exemption by Dish Network to get other regions' locals.
Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: February 14, 2006 10:50AM
I was a very loyal Directv guy because of their Tivos. Now they are phasing them out, I really don't care.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: February 14, 2006 11:15AM
Dish here. Buy a PVR (personal video recorder) receiver and record (Tivo) for free. No monthly fee for that. Direct TV has no WB stations. Other than that all things are equal and the person that installs your system is a local thing that that could go either way with either system. Check out the portable dish players. Now that is a video iPod.
[news.com.com]
[www.pocketdish.com]

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: rtwdwk
Date: February 14, 2006 11:15AM
need sports?
If so DirectTV
They have the NFL, MLB packages.
Posted by: Silencio
Date: February 14, 2006 11:29AM
You can still buy DirecTivo units (DirecTV R10 with TiVO) from Weaknees and other places:

[www.weaknees.com]
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: February 14, 2006 12:10PM
Had been loyal DirecTV user for a decade... never got one iota free from them. And when decided wanted to hook up a 2nd TV, thought I'd see if they had any specials for existing customers... and that was a no.

On that note - took Dish up on a free installation deal and have been happy since. Almost switched back to DirecTV (I do like DTV's hardware better) - but Dish has TNT in HD... And that's where a good number of the Nascar races get broadcast. Dish has a good HD channel seletion and the Nascar on TNT HD keeps me solid with DISH.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2006 12:28PM by OWC Larry.
Date: February 14, 2006 12:20PM
Yeah, I've found that since i got an HDTV, i've been watching things in HD that I wouldn't normally watch in SDTV. Very strange.

Thanks for all the input btw...

Posted by: Markintosh
Date: February 14, 2006 12:24PM
DirectTV from 1994 to 2003
Pros - Access local and east coast networks (Leno at 830)
Cons- Constant issues with snow on dish (the angle of the dish perfect for collecting snow at Tahoe latitude)

Cable 2003-2004
Sucked in every way

DishNetwork 2004-Present
Pros - Steeper angle of dish collects no snow (yipee)
Cons - Won't give access to east coast networks, current DVR selection not cool

There's my 4 cents.
Date: February 14, 2006 12:29PM
I just looked it up on the Dish Network site and according to them i can get my local greensboro channels. Although i have to have something called a "SuperDISH" But i would need that anyway to get the foreign language channels.

Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: February 14, 2006 12:39PM
If you want foreign language channels, check these out. You have to buy the equipment but access is free (from what I read).

[www.surpluscomputers.com]

For about $300 you are ready to go.

They are also available on ebay a little cheaper if you want to wait on an auction.

Fred Also
Posted by: rz
Date: February 14, 2006 01:49PM
Bernie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Direct TV has no WB stations.

Maybe not a national feed, but I get my local WB station on DirecTV.

I've had DirecTV for 10+ years. From all the discussions I've seen asking the same question you're asking, the same answer always seems to be the right one: pick the one that has the best package for YOU. But either way you go, it'll be far superior to cable.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 14, 2006 01:54PM
. . .i remember reading that directTV has the best sports programming so if uz into that. . .

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: pRON aHOLIC
Date: February 14, 2006 02:05PM
if you are an NFL fan you can only buy NFL Sunday Ticket on Directv

Join team 38910 folding! [folding.stanford.edu] multi cpu-[calxalot.homeip.net]
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 14, 2006 02:37PM
Bazooka,

Something to take into consideration. You need a receiver for each TV and there is a monthly fee for each one. So, factor that cost into the equation. This is one of the reasons I stay with cable. One monthly fee for the programming (basic cable and family cable) and I can watch it on every TV in the house. With Satellite TV, I'd need a minimum of three receivers, which makes the service less cost effective than cable.

Robert
Posted by: rz
Date: February 14, 2006 03:05PM
Robert M Wrote:

> Something to take into consideration. You need a
> receiver for each TV and there is a monthly fee
> for each one. So, factor that cost into the
> equation. This is one of the reasons I stay with
> cable. One monthly fee for the programming (basic
> cable and family cable) and I can watch it on
> every TV in the house. With Satellite TV, I'd need
> a minimum of three receivers, which makes the
> service less cost effective than cable.

yeah, but to even come close to the crystal clear reception of satellite TV, you'd need Digital Cable, and I do believe that if you want that clarity on all your sets, you need a box on every TV. Digital Cable ain't cheap. here's a breakdown:

With DirecTV, I pay $64/month. That's $45.99 for Total Choice Plus, 2*$4.99 for 2 extra sets, $4.99 for DirecTivo (for 2 DVRs), $5 off for having Bell South phone service, plus $8.04 in taxes.

To get digital cable, I'd have to pay $56.99 to start. Not all channels are digital like they are on satellite. One DVR would cost $6/month... so two would be $12. I'd only get standard cable on the other sets. Don't know how much more taxes would be.

So unless you are satisfied with the quality of "standard cable" (and trust me, I'm not), then satellite is actually cheaper than cable.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 14, 2006 03:36PM
rz,

I had digital cable and found that it just wasn't worth the premium and I had it on just one set. It's one of the reasons I stepped back to plain ol' standard cable. The money I would've spent on digital cable has been put to much better use now. smiling smiley

Robert
Date: February 14, 2006 03:45PM
I did try digital cable and was less than happy with its pretty sad performance. And a plus i really like about satellite...any satellite is all digital. Not half and half like digital cable service.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 14, 2006 03:52PM
. . .and they are raising or raised the price on digital cable. . .another incentive to switch to satellite. . .

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: February 14, 2006 03:54PM
yup. i noticed that on my last cable bill. they raise your rates and to "compensate" you they give you 4 more home shopping networks. WOOHOO!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 120
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020