advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
imaging multiple macs
Posted by: bryanus
Date: January 31, 2008 09:53AM
I'm looking to add a couple more iMac workstations to my office. Since the process of setting up clean installs and all of the applications can be time consuming, I am wondering if there's a way to set up one machine, then image the drive to the other iMac.

I'm pretty sure that part is easy using SuperDuper or CCC, but how do I get around the issue of serializing the apps, or creating different user accounts and passwords?

The iMac specs will be identical and they both need exactly the same apps.

TIA!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: imaging multiple macs
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: January 31, 2008 09:55AM
You don't. Either don't enter the SN before you do the clone or reinstall after you clone. You will have to change or add user accounts after the clone.
Date: January 31, 2008 10:29AM
That's what I thought. Thing is, some apps require serials during install, like Office and Creative Suite I believe.

I wonder if I could set up one machine complete with numbers, then when the other machine is set up, run the apps and hope they ask for new serials?

blech.

C(-)ris
You don't. Either don't enter the SN before you do the clone or reinstall after you clone. You will have to change or add user accounts after the clone.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 31, 2008 10:34AM
I would try it...

Office (at least 2004) never asks for a serial after a clone from machine to machine.

Creative Suite, Dunno...

Many apps clone just fine, and don't ask for their serial numbers again (since you're cloning the directory where they keep their little hidden tidbits that tell them they've already been registered).

A clone will take 30 minutes (maybe an hour for a big clone)...
Clone it, try it... correct your model... clone again...
When it's right, clone it to the other computers.

Even with a couple false starts, you'll STILL save time over clean-install-and-install-apps..

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: January 31, 2008 11:04AM
There is a way to remove the license info from office before you clone. I can't remember how to do it, but you hold down a key during the uninstaller or something and it just wipes the license info.

The real way to do this is to buy volume licenses of everything. That way you just put in one serial number and it is good on all your machines. That is how I do it. I always have to setup the new user account and change the machine name after I am done cloning. I have an administrator and a maintenance account setup on the cloned machine.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: January 31, 2008 11:09AM
The problem with same serial in Office is that the same serial number cannot be open at the same time on the same network.
Since office is a fast install, maybe just drag to the new drive,but don't open it.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 31, 2008 11:16AM
Ken Sp.

That may be so.. but I haven't experienced that phenomena.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: January 31, 2008 11:26AM
I have. Office 2004. It isn't aware in 98 or 2001. Not sure about V or Vangry smiley. Ken has it though. Instead of running the installer just drag the folder from the CD and don't run it before the clone.
Date: January 31, 2008 11:27AM
Unfortunately, 2008 isn't a draggable folder this time and that's what I have. It's an installer.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 31, 2008 12:02PM
i have always thought that i would be quicker to clone as well -- but ive done it so often it just seems faster just to do a fresh install

just have everything laid out and run in order

retinstall OSX, no print drivers no languages
reboot
start CS 3 install and run software update at the same time
before rebooting from software update:
install office, while its installing, start photoshop, run CS 3 upgrades; at same time copy fonts from another mac over network, install suitcase fusion from disc image
wait for all of those to finish
reboot
software update
reboot
repair permissions
done

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: simonm
Date: January 31, 2008 12:37PM
C(-)ris
The real way to do this is to buy volume licenses of everything. That way you just put in one serial number and it is good on all your machines. That is how I do it. ... I have an administrator and a maintenance account setup on the cloned machine.

I work in a windows environment. We use use ghost or pxe to image both desktops and servers. All the SW is bulk so no issue there. In the case of the servers we have a pxe image for each so we don't have to play with their IP addresses afterwards. For your environment I'd try to convert my licenses to bulk versions and then create a single image. Or perhaps two images - one with apps and licenses and one bare, possilby with installers in case you decided that you needed something afterall. You could map a shared drive to the machine before you image it so that the freshly imaged machines already have a link to a share where you keep installers.
Date: January 31, 2008 01:56PM
Yeah, I've done this with Ghost as well. Had to ghost about 75 Dells at a time for a worldwide Oracle conference in about 10 cities. Worked amazingly well (I was very surprised how well it worked in fact, being a PC!).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 544
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020