advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Palm on OS X
Posted by: MysteryGuest
Date: February 15, 2006 06:07AM
I haven't been able to sync my handheld since I finally upgraded to OS X last year. I can't fully install Palm Desktop 4 so I can't access the HotSync Manager. A search of the Web yields a whole lot of frustrated users with the same errors and problems and tips that haven't worked for me. Palm support for the Mac seems to be spotty at best. Is there an alternative?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2006 06:07AM by MysteryGuest.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Palm on OS X
Posted by: Stavs
Date: February 15, 2006 07:05AM
MysteryGuest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I haven't been able to sync my handheld since I
> finally upgraded to OS X last year. I can't fully
> install Palm Desktop 4 so I can't access the
> HotSync Manager.

I dont understand what you are saying...you cant install because you dont have permision, or it wont install because of some other problem?

I havent had one problem using OS X and Palm Desktop. I would recommend the following:

Run Onyx to clean up you system
Restart Machine
Install latest version of Palm Desktop ( [www.palm.com] )
Restart Machine
Configure settings in Hotsync Manager
Try to Sync

Also, maybe try switching which port yopu have the cable plugged in.

I have 2 Macs, a G5 and a new ibook, both work flawlessly and the ibook connects over bluetooth, albeit at a painfully slow speed.

Thanks,

Stavs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2006 07:47AM by Stavs.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: February 15, 2006 07:15AM
I feel your pain. I had the same problem and gave up. I still use a WallStreet and OS 9 just for my Palm. I even wipped the hard drive on my Pismo and tried a clean install and the new Palm would not install. An older version worked fine before with OS X and I thought there was something I had not tossed from the older Palm desktop that was interfering with the newer version and thus the wipe and install. I have not gotten back to it.
Good luck!

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: February 15, 2006 07:44AM
I just bought my wife a Z22 and got it installed yesterday.

It was the smoothest install of my 7+ palm devices on a Mac ever.

It came with Palm Desktop 4.2.2 by the way. A newer version than I thought was available. And, the new iSync is nice because it takes care of everything EXCEPT enabling the iSync conduit in Conduit Manager.

I Migrated (M Assistant) over my wife's old docs and settings from our eMac, synced to the palm all in about 25 minutes. It was great.

Posted by: sscutchen
Date: February 15, 2006 07:48AM
I agree with Stavs. I'm syncing my Zire 72s with my Pismo and my PMac, both running 10.3.9. I also sync it with my W2000 machine from hell at work.

I'm using iSync for the contact information and calendar. Notes show up in Palm Desktop. On the PC at work, everything shows up in Outlook.

There are some inconsistancies between the three formats, Palm, Mac and PC; like categories don't show up in the Mac Address Book. but overall, it does very well.

All I did was follow whatever were the obvious instructions at the time. I didn't go digging for anything exotic. and I didn't try to make any platform go somewhere other than its defaults.

Don't ask who the bell's for, dude. It's you.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 15, 2006 08:04AM
take a look at MissingSync.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 15, 2006 08:15AM
you'll most likely need to due an uninstall of Palm. The instructions are on their site as I remember. Then perms, Onyx. Re-install 4.2.1 or whatever is latest.

My Sony Clie has hooked to Palm w/o Missing Sync since I've had it, thru OS9 and Tiger. But it is sometimes a troublesome beast on the first go round.

!#$@@$#!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?

Posted by: reezekeys
Date: February 15, 2006 09:33AM
I assume you've seen this page but just in case:

[kb.palmone.com])
Date: February 15, 2006 11:35AM
Thanks for the link, reezekeys, but I'm just getting an error message.

Palm Desktop 4.2.2 isn't posted at Palm. Perhaps it's only for non Palm handhelds. I've downloaded and tried to install 4.2.1 a couple of times now. Others are reporting the same error (Thanks for the sympathy, Bernie), but it's nice to see some people have it working. I never had any trouble under 9.

I've got plenty of troubleshooting tips, but the whole thing has been such a pain, I was thinking of switching if there was something to switch to...
Date: February 15, 2006 11:39AM
ahem, my PALM Z22 came with 4.2.2.

call them.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 15, 2006 11:47AM
Look for 4.2.2.

If I recall correctly, there was a problem with the installer in a late version of Palm Desktop. 4.2.2 may have fixed that.

I thought there was a workaround, but I don't remember what it was.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: February 15, 2006 11:58AM
You can always buy a palm z22, figure out a way to use the CD, and return it as needed. I know some people balk at that, but you could be DONE with that attempt TONIGHT, that way. Z22s are everywhere.

Posted by: reezekeys
Date: February 15, 2006 02:55PM
4.2.2 is not available as a download. It has new features specific to the Z22 (and maybe a few others), though Palm says the Z22 *will* work with 4.2.1, just not be able to do some of the functions specific to that model.

When you downloaded 4.2.1, did you make sure is was revision D? It took me a while to find that little nugget. Supposedly it addresses some Tiger issues and eliminates the need for the permissions fixer program.

I have an issue with Palm Desktop also, what looks like a bug that showed up when I went from Panther to Tiger. Rev D didn't fix things for me. It's here:

[www.palm.com]
Date: February 15, 2006 10:02PM
Thanks, reezekeys, Rev. D installed completely. Now for the next steps--tomorrow.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 152
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020