advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What's the best way to wash a baseball cap?
Posted by: guitarist
Date: February 04, 2008 04:17PM
I'd prefer not to do anything as drastic as stick it in the dishwasher, in one of those cap frame-shape maintaining wire things, or any gizmo like that. Unless there's some contraption or method that I've not heard of that works well.

For regular care, what have you gotten good results with, keeping a favorite baseball cap clean and new looking?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What's the best way to wash a baseball cap?
Posted by: slbett
Date: February 04, 2008 04:22PM
I just use Woolite and wash by hand. I have a kids ball about the right size and sit it on it to air dry.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: February 04, 2008 04:29PM
If you get the cardboard in the bill too wet, it'll never hold its form again. Get it too wet for too long, or just get it too warm and the ink may run.

By hand, cold water, not a lot of water.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Tommie Milwaukee
Date: February 04, 2008 04:41PM
I always do the dishwasher method. Works for me.
Posted by: Chupa Chupa
Date: February 04, 2008 04:48PM
I've never had any success washing a hat, structured or otherwise. I just retire them when they get to disgusting to wear. Actually "somebody" hides them from me because I probably would never retire a hat.
Posted by: JoeBob
Date: February 04, 2008 05:02PM
I use one of those plastic shape retaining thingies, and wash them in the washing machine, and air dry.
Shout does a pretty good job of removing sweat stains.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: February 04, 2008 05:14PM
Some of the Dry Cleaners in my town Dry Clean hats, may be worth looking into if the Cap is a Fav...
Posted by: Spiff
Date: February 04, 2008 05:25PM
I've actually run my hats through the clothes washer. Yup. cold water, gentle cycle with like colors. No problems with the bill of the hats. I've done this on a LaBatt's blue hat and a favorite Life's Good hat that I wear all the time out doors.

Neither of them have had any issues with the bill of the hat breaking down or becoming too soft to hold a shape
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: February 04, 2008 05:38PM
A lot of the bills use plastic now instead of cardboard, but I've haven't had a lot of success machine washing.

I usually hand wash with an old pice of towel and some Dawn dishwashing soap (also my favorite hand soap BTW)
Then I pat out the water and ball up an old towel and stuff that hat and let it air dry

Posted by: d0e
Date: February 04, 2008 06:07PM
toothbrush and liquid hand soap, least amount of water and air dry. fitted hats are hard cause the shrink so bad.
Posted by: JEBB
Date: February 04, 2008 06:12PM
With baseball caps that don't have cardboard inside the bills I've had great success by letting them soak in a bucket of soapy water for a week or two. Tide liquid does well as the soap. To rinse out all the soap I let them soak a couple of days in clean water, changing the water a few times. During the soaking process I weigh the cap down with one or two ceramic cups so that none of the cap breaks the surface or else a line will be left where the cap breaks the water surface. If the oil stains still shows in the cap, you haven't left it soak long enough. Eventually it all comes out.

Not much work involved, just let them sit.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 04, 2008 06:29PM
Another vote for the clothes washer machine. Cold water. Air dry.

The hat I washed had the plastic bill insert so that worked well.
Posted by: josntme
Date: February 04, 2008 07:03PM
My caps are all custom made with my stuff embroidered on them and they do cost.

Sooooooo.

I use the hat form, spray the hat with shout and put it in the dishwasher. Take it out, spray it with starch and let it air dry. After it's dried I spray it with a water repellant.
Posted by: guitarist
Date: February 04, 2008 07:14PM
I have so far only hand washed it with mild dish soap. It's mainly the bill that gets dirty, where my hands grasp it, it looks powdery and dusty even after cleaning. I want to really clean it, but am concerned about it ending up mishapen from overexposure to too much water (the cardboard) I see mixed reports here.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 04, 2008 08:46PM
If it's a dark color fabric it may have faded giving it that dusty appearance, so washing won't really fix that.
Posted by: iaJim
Date: February 04, 2008 10:20PM
I take them into the shower with me and use dial soap on them. I lather them up and rinse them out and then hang them in the shower to dry. I have great results. They're pretty tough. I can get a lot of good out of a cap that would have otherwise ended up in the garbage.
Posted by: GeneH
Date: February 04, 2008 10:55PM
Try soaking the cap overnight in a bucket of soapy water containing dishwashing liquid. No need to scrub. Rinse it by hand in the sink and then it put into the washer to spin dry. After that step, just hang it up with clothes pins and let it air dry.

Don't use any bleach containing products like Tide and the like as they'll fade the colors out of the cap. Dishwashing liquid only!

I've used this method on a cap for 4 years and it still retains its colors.
Posted by: smacks
Date: February 05, 2008 03:36PM
Lots of balding guys (or gals) on this forum...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 137
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020