advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
London The Blitz, german bombing ww2 on pbs
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: February 15, 2006 11:43PM
Anyone see that tonight on channel 11...public t.v.?

Man, I never really understood how crazy that was until I saw that.

Supposedly the Germans knew there would be a bigger tide on the Thames and that it would disrupt the water supply during the attack.

Those guys were some sneaky bastards. Those flare-like fire starters were a brutal touch.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: London The Blitz, german bombing ww2 on pbs
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: February 15, 2006 11:49PM
Yep, war is really nutty.
Watch the History Channel, great documentaries.

War is horrid on both sides.

I don't understand the "Sneaky Bastards" comment, I've never heard of a war where the combatants called ahead to make arrangements on their planned attack.

BGnR
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 16, 2006 10:36AM
<I've never heard of a war where the combatants called ahead to make arrangements on their planned attack.

Study some 19th century conflicts...
They had some funny notions about war...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: February 16, 2006 10:49AM
Ha,

I stand by my sneaky barstards comment. Forgive me if you think I am dogging all Germans. Nope, Im dogging Nazi's, crafty, sneaky, hateful, Nazi basterds who decided to try to destroy the heart of a city filled with unarmed citizens. In some sense, the sneaky bastard comment was a compliment to the Nazi thoroughness in terms of how they planned this event. The only thing that kept them from finishing off the whole damn city was poor weather on the last leg of the attack.

Can't really watch the Battle Channel, doesn't do much for me generally. I'd rather watch Wolf Blitzer talking about the benefits of margerine and what it has done for him, personally.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2006 11:05AM by Kraniac.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: February 16, 2006 01:31PM
Both sides bombed civilian targets. It's pretty hard to defend what the Allies did to Dresden: firebombing a target devoid of military significance (but full of women, children, elderly men, refugees and POWs) as a retaliation. Not content with the devastation caused by the fire-bombing, the Allies sent in more planes the following day to strafe survivors who had escaped the inferno and made it out into open areas.

Personally, I find it impossible to defend this action. I've seen pictures. The one that sticks in my mind was a photograph of a corner of building that was mostly incinerated, with a chalk message scrawled on it saying "Mutti wir suchen Dich" (Mummy, we're looking for you). Such messages scrawled on buildings and ruins were seen all over Dresden after the inferno. I know someone who was a 10-year-old child in a suburb of Dresden when it was fire-bombed. Her school was turned into a makeshift first aid station for victims.

This is not to imply that I'm defending the Nazis. Believe me, I am not. But as far as I can recall, the first German bombing that hit civilian targets was accidental and actually pissed off German leadership, who still thought that they might be able to come to an agreement with the Brits so that they could then loose their full fury on the unlucky Slavs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 222
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020