advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
10.5.2-what a mess!
Posted by: DP
Date: February 13, 2008 05:50AM
All I've been seeing on this and other forums and what I'm hearing from students is the mess 10.5.2 is making. A few people who have been calling tech support says they can't solve their problems. Even Rush made an appeal to Steve Jobs as he has problems that tech support couldn't fix! Why would Apple release such a batch of problems? Think I'll keep Tiger for a long time yet.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 10.5.2-what a mess!
Posted by: chopper
Date: February 13, 2008 05:59AM
If it gives Rush problems then I am in full support of this version of OS X.

"Rush made an appeal to Steve Jobs as he has problems that tech support couldn't fix!"

I'd pay money to listen to that conversation.

Chopp
Posted by: modelamac
Date: February 13, 2008 06:05AM
No problems here on 2 intel Macs and 1 PPC Mac.

Repairing Permissions on the PPC unit takes an hour or so, but does finish.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: February 13, 2008 06:13AM
No problem here, either . . . some people just need to cry out for attention!

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: DP
Date: February 13, 2008 06:20AM
I've had students and an IT guy saying something quit working when they installed 10.5.2 and haven't yet been able to solve it. One student lost her iCal and Apple tech support couldn't solve it. The IT guy says he's got a few problems to fix on school computers.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: February 13, 2008 06:34AM
I've had no troubles with it yet -- which is surprising, if so many are whining.

I've noticed a few changes --- the dialog boxes are different in sys prefs for Sharing and ARD, and I still think the damn machine takes too long to shut down, relative to when you first get it ---- and that's with all software closed before shut-down.

I realize that there are things to do, house-keeping, but in reality, I added only Photoshop CS3 and ID CS3, and Orafice 2008. (VMware and Winduds sit there, but if they aren't running, how big of an issue can they be?)

Oh--- and Netscape/Firefox.

This has been a very sparse disc for installing things thus far -- I tend to experiment with
a lot of software, so my needs to nuke and pave are often the result of my own doing, so I don't complain about it much. I'm just amazed that having 45GB of stuff including the OS requires so much additional time (relatively speaking) to repair permissions, to shut down, etc., vs. the materials put down on a virgin install.
No problems here either
Posted by: slbett
Date: February 13, 2008 06:55AM
I took one look at the size and used the combo updater. I repaired permissions before and after and haven't any problems and I have a lot of things installed on an Intel MacBook.
Posted by: dwayne_bradley
Date: February 13, 2008 06:57AM
No problems here.
Posted by: clay
Date: February 13, 2008 07:15AM
no problems for me, either.
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: February 13, 2008 07:39AM
absolutely no issues here as well.
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: February 13, 2008 07:43AM
Zero problems on 10.4.11 ;)
Posted by: volcs0
Date: February 13, 2008 07:47AM
10.5.2 updater removed/moved all my Python custom library installs. It moved the site packages folder from /usr/lib to /Library. I spent two hours last night trying to sort all this out, but I still don't have all my scripts working again.
Posted by: rapayn1
Date: February 13, 2008 08:19AM
Never any problems with Leopard until 10.5.2. I updated via Software Update on the 11th, and I thought everything was fine and went to bed. I came home from work on the 12th and logged into my iMac 2.8Ghz with 4GB of RAM machine and everything looked normal on my desktop. THEN the problems started. EVERY single application, other than the Finder, Disk Utility and EyeTV, that I clicked on to launch would quit. Disk Utility did not solve the problem. Repair of permissions did nothing. I now see the ACL error. I Can't use TechTool, and don't have a update to my Disk Warrior 4.0 disk yet from Alsoft. This went on for an hour before I just decided to whip out my original Leopard disk and reinstall 10.5. I did that and then downloaded the standalone combo updater. It got me back to 10.5.2 and so far, everything is working well again. This episode now makes me a believer in using the standalone installer vice Software updated for a major update. :-)
Posted by: thermarest
Date: February 13, 2008 08:32AM
no problems here so far on a core2 macbook. In fact, 10.5.2 seems to have fixed an issue with the Transmission app. I'm liking the new old list-view folders in the dock.
Posted by: Chupa Chupa
Date: February 13, 2008 08:41AM
A. The front line Apple Tech support is a collective bunch of dopey bouncers who's knowledge dosen't run any deeper than the tech notes Apple publishes online, and who's real purpose is not to solve complex issues, but to get you of the freaking phone by blaming you or your 3rd party app...even if the issue is with the OS and not a 3rd party app.

B. There are issues with EVERY update. When you have a complex system like an OS and you tinker with one part, that change is bound to affect something else. People that use the issues a few vocal people have as an excuse not to upgrade are just lying to themselves that they are not luddites and don't accept change.

C. Widescale problems are what we see with Vista. 10.5.x does not have any widescale compatibility issues. Most major and still supported s/w that was broken by 10.5 has now been fixed. You can't say the same for PC programs using Vista.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: February 13, 2008 08:48AM
My only issue has been with Moneydance; it has twice brought up a kernel panic. Haven't seen one of those in years.

Posted by: will2000
Date: February 13, 2008 08:51AM
Well, it's a good thing all of you first made a backup clone to try the update on, right?
Posted by: maco
Date: February 13, 2008 09:54AM
Working fine on my lowly single processor PM G5 & my wife's G5 iMac.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: February 13, 2008 09:58AM
Oh no! Some little piece of software stopped working on someones machine! Call the media! As long as the core OS works and most features on most apps work, I'd call it good enough. You can't possibly expect a major update to work perfectly on every singe Mac with every possible configuration of third party software and utilities to work perfectly right away.

I would even hazard a guess to say that most problems are from developers that didn't follow Apple's software design and use guidelines.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice and great if it worked perfectly, but I am realistic.
Posted by: MacManMaz
Date: February 13, 2008 10:15AM
No problem here. 24" iMac 2.1 duo.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 13, 2008 10:22AM
No problems here.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Billybob
Date: February 13, 2008 11:31AM
I upgraded my MacPro yesterday with 5.2. It has been uneventful.

I haven't noticed anything significant. Spaces was a whole lot snappier. Shifting between windows and going to the full "landscape" view were both instantaneous. But after a few hours, the speed has bogged down to 5.1 levels. I suspect that there was some cache or memory space that is now overloaded. Nonetheless, the speed is plenty fast. I can wait 1/4 -1/2 seconds for changes.

Overall, I am pleased, but not ecstatic, with the Leopard update. Nothing has broken and qualitatively, the system appears to be faster. I use Spaces, but virtually none of the other "improvements." My system is slightly less stable than Tiger. It crashes 2-3 times a month under Leopard. I can live with it.

I use Desktop Transporter and Spyme for remote access (the .mac version strikes me as insecure). Both of these programs are noticeably faster under Leopard. My response times are fast enough that I can actually do productive work on the remote system. This alone was worth the price of the upgrade.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: February 13, 2008 12:43PM
Billybob
My system is slightly less stable than Tiger. It crashes 2-3 times a month under Leopard. I can live with it.

What!? Dude, zero crashes ever is the acceptable number.

Fix your system.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2008 12:44PM by Article Accelerator.
Posted by: Silencio
Date: February 13, 2008 01:26PM
No problems so far on my 12" PowerBook. Did the repair disk and permissions thing before installing the combo updater.

I am debating when to roll this one out for my clients, though. Still may hold off another day or two to see what else gets reported by everyone else.
Posted by: Billybob
Date: February 13, 2008 01:37PM
Article Accelerator

What!? Dude, zero crashes ever is the acceptable number.

Fix your system.

I'm hoping that this update has fixed my system. However, if it doesn't fix whatever issues I have, I certainly am not going to spend a lot of time trying to figure out what causes sporadic crashes that simply require a 2 minute reboot.
Posted by: binky
Date: February 13, 2008 02:55PM
Installed 10.5.2, repaired permissions. Seemed fine, but then I noticed had an issue with Fusion where on my list of virtual machines, my boot camp partition was listed as "Boot Camp partition on /dev/ drive 0" instead of "Boot Camp", and when I tried to run it, Fusion gave a notice saying something along the lines of that my boot camp partition did not "exist on a physical drive" which didn't make any sense to me. I wasn't sure what to do about it, but it miraculously cured itself today (still says Boot Camp partition on /dev/ drive 0 instead of just plain "Boot Camp" but at least it works now).

Otherwise, no issues. YMMV, of course...

Bink.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: February 13, 2008 02:58PM
Only problems I've encountered are the typical Entourage crashes (most likely due to Entourage and not 10.5.2) and my Logitech MX Revolution got wonky ever since I upgraded to Leopard.
Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: February 13, 2008 04:09PM
I had a problem with it.

After the reboot and subsequent login, setup assistant comes up. I choose quit, and it dumps me back to the login screen. I tried it a couple more times with the same result.

I did another reboot and then everything was fine.
Posted by: yeoman
Date: February 13, 2008 04:25PM
Problem free update. Contrary to many reports update was fast - guess less than one minute. Repair permissions equally as fast. All apps running as prior to update. Of course, I did make a clone just in case, but apparently not going to be needed.
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: February 13, 2008 06:27PM
no problems here.

Bryan
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 13, 2008 06:32PM
yeoman
Problem free update. Contrary to many reports update was fast - guess less than one minute.

Mine, too -- much faster than recent updates of both the Leopard and Tiger variety. I was quite surprised.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 357
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020