advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
TiVo experts???
Posted by: zero
Date: February 22, 2008 06:58PM
Will TiVo HD work with "regular" Cable, which includes the regular channels and the HD local channels?

(I do not have Time Warner's "Digital" cable, just the "Basic" package)

Also... do I need a land-line phone to hook up TiVo?

TIA!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2008 06:59PM by zero.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: TiVo experts???
Posted by: Scooter
Date: February 22, 2008 08:46PM
Should work out fine. You can use a phone line or if you have wireless internet you can add a tivo wireless adapter to it. Tivo rules.

You can get lots of answers here...

[tivocommunity.com]
Posted by: Wailer
Date: February 22, 2008 09:15PM
If you don't record a lot of HD, you can get a analog Tivo like a Series 2 dual tuner for around $50. These work great with non-digital cable that doesn't require a set-top box, especially if you flip channels alot (they are faster).

Tivo is life-changing. They offer a 30-day money-back guarantee if you buy it from Tivo.com.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 23, 2008 10:06AM
Zero,

My experience with TIVO HD tells me that it doesn't work well at all with plain ol' analog cable, i.e. no cable cards and plugging the cable line directly to the TIVO HD. See my post about the experience I had with TIVO HD and why I'll not be buying another one again in the future.

That said, my Toshiba TIVO DVD Recorder model #RSTX20 which is a series2 based unit works fine with analog cable as well as analog cable with a box and digital cable with a box. If you have it controlling a box, there is a delay when changing channels. However, it is not like the gray screen issue I had with the TIVO HD.

If the machine is controlling a box, you'll see what is showing on TV as you change the channel. The TIVO then sends that signal to the infra-red controllers on the box. the box then changes the channel. So, there is a delay but you'll see the current channel instead of a gray screen until the change takes place.

Not sure why you are stuck seeing a gray screen when changing channels with the TIVO HD. TIVO acknowledged that this is normal but to me, it's a serious flaw. I can live with a short delay if I see the current channel during it. But, I cannot live with a delay if I see a gray screen during it.

Robert
Posted by: DCrunch
Date: February 24, 2008 10:15PM
Also... do I need a land-line phone to hook up TiVo? No.

You don't need Tivo's wireless USB adapter. It's about $50-$60. D-Link's USB adapter is compatible and cheaper. Not all USB adapters are compatible. I tried a Netgear adapter and it wasn't compatible.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020