advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Where to buy broken Macs?
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: February 16, 2006 06:58PM
I'm into buying up broken Macs, giving some away to people that need them and selling others to recoup costs. eBay is getting flooded with people buying broken stuff. Good for sellers, bad for me. Some of this stuff is selling so high that there's no point to buy it when you could get a refurb for $100 or so more. Craigslist for Indy rarely has Macs, let alone broken ones. Are there other places?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Where to buy broken Macs?
Posted by: New.Dad
Date: February 16, 2006 07:02PM
have you checked the local Goodwill stores, or similar charities in your areas? the usually have cheap computers.
Posted by: ajakeski
Date: February 16, 2006 07:15PM
Check with your local school district. I used to make franken macs out of all the broken ones for the local schools.

I'm not a bad guy! I work hard, and I love my kids. So why should I spend half my Sunday hearing about how I'm going to Hell? -Homer.
Posted by: Silencio
Date: February 16, 2006 07:21PM
LEM-Swap list.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 16, 2006 07:28PM
I'm guessin' but Broke-Mac Mountain?

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: February 16, 2006 07:52PM
I see parts and broken ones on c list in nyc all the time.

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 16, 2006 08:43PM
I don't know about other states, but in California... computers can't be thrown away, and have to go to the recycling station. Maybe see if there's a local recycling station you can scrounge?

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: February 16, 2006 08:56PM
Where are you? I'll put a couple out on the curb for you…

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Date: February 16, 2006 09:25PM
haha...if they're curb material they probably aren't frankenmac cantidates. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
Posted by: rz
Date: February 16, 2006 09:49PM
local auctions. I'm probably going to one on Saturday where they auction school surplus and old stuff. I got an ibook a few years ago with a cracked screen. It was in a pile of old PC laptops that were all broken. Paid $80 for the whole palette, sold the bundle of broken PC laptops on ebay for $225, and spent the profit on a new screen for the iBook.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: February 16, 2006 10:06PM
rz's onto something... isn't it about time for one of those Seattle auctions with pallets of Macs?

blu, I know that's pretty distant for you, but conceivably what you could do is have one of the Seattle Macresource'ers buy the pallet for you, then we all divvy up the spoils (and the Seattle person gets the machine(s) to you somehow). I seem to recall that happened on DM awhile back too. I can imagine that with that number of machines, there will be more than enough to go around.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2006 10:07PM by PeterB.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 16, 2006 10:39PM
why not tell us what you are dreaming of?

ive got a power tower pro, power center pro, 9600/350, 7100/80 -- ALL with G3 upgrade cards -- performa 6116, maybe even a smurf 300, wallstreet 266 -- some scsi scanners, orb, zip, jaz drives, scsi cdrws --- etc -- just sitting in my garage -- preety much make me a resonable deal and they are yours

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2006 10:40PM by jdc.
Date: February 17, 2006 08:14AM
Well, I have three performas, three 500 or less G3 iMacs, just gave away the G4 iMac. I guess I'm looking for G4 towers or G3 and G4 iBooks and G4 powerbooks. The laptops are plentiful in their various broken stages. Plus laptops are much easier to ship to their new owners.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020